Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

A boring ride home question about ride height?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 
A boring ride home question about ride height?

Ok so my D3 sparks into electronic life on a very cold and frosty morning and once the engine is running checks the ride height. I then drive 400 miles with out ever coming to a complete standstill. ( I know rare but still possible if you pick you route and time of day). During said journey the air temperature goes up many degrees as does the air temperature in the suspension bags.
Now does the D3 measure the pressure and bleed away the excess as the tempreture goes up to keep the ride height the same as when i first started or is the ride height sensors used in some way. I'm not sure how you could use the ride height sensors if the car was moving as there is always the possiblity of compression or extension due to the road surface.
I don't have a problem but am just interested to know how the D3 deals with changes in pressure within the system whilst on the move.

Post #2421388th Jan 2008 6:22 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

It's all computer controlled to maintain the ride height etc.
to quote Land Rover:

"Four-corner, electronic air suspension ensures a smooth, constant ride height irrespective of load, number of passengers or weight of luggage. The air springs are computer controlled, giving automatically softer or firmer springing depending on road or track conditions. And because they are cross-linked, they allow extreme axle articulation over rocks or deep ruts.

A further bonus is that the ride height can also be manually selected – offering, for instance, the ability to lower the vehicle by 55mm to make it easier to get in and out of and to load"

Post #2421468th Jan 2008 6:37 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

You must have heard the 'PSHH' noise when parking up. I presume that this is the pressure relief doing its stuff. I know when off road the compressors run a lot more that on road. Also when we were loaded in Morocco travelling at a good lick on Censored roads the suspension sensors cant cope and they throw faults up, but this does not stop things working properly.

So yes its constantly adjusting its self. Thumbs Up
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #2421488th Jan 2008 6:38 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Look, it just does it, right! Wink

Post #2421498th Jan 2008 6:38 pm
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

Slimer wrote:
Look, it just does it, right! Wink

Aaahh that explains it then. its classic FM. (F Censored G Magic) then. Very Happy

Post #2427549th Jan 2008 10:27 pm
al cope

England 

So Chris, you were bored, did you consider the change in tyre pressures due the heating of the air due to the friction generated by your journey?

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #24289810th Jan 2008 9:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
freebie2disco

United Kingdom 

Yes I did think about that and I wonder if the better mileage that I get on long runs is due to the tyres getting fully up to heat. But that thought only took from one junction to the next. Trying to work out how the suspension worked and how clever it must be took almost an entire motorway. No doubt that if the nanny state could work out a way of fineing me for not using every single brain cell to concentrate on the driving, then they would.
It wont be long now before the only thing you will be allowed to listen to in in your car will be Yesterday In Parliament. They wouldnt want to stop the mases listening to them even though it will send 99.9% of the population asleep at the wheel in less than 30 secs.

Post #24293410th Jan 2008 11:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >