Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Boost Issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gmacd

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Boost Issue

Hi all,

Looking for a little help with a fault Ive been chasing, Got a Disco 4 3.0 SDV6 on a 2012 and im getting a restircted performance come in at the lower end of the revs when putting the car under boost for say going up a hill just at steady throttle, If I wind it up and get the 2nd turbo in above 2800 rpm it seems to be fine.

Feels like a sticky Primary turbo actuator for the variable nozzle but I'm still not a 100 % sure on this.

I'm getting fault codes below,

P2263-22 Turbo/Sipercharger boost system performance
P004D-77 Turbo/Sipercharger boost Contril Solenoid B - Circuit high.

Ive had the secondary turbo off on the drivers side to replace a exhaust manifold and an EGR pipe which went well and car was running fine afterwards, I've checked all vacuum hoses and replaced a few due to them being dagraded.

I've checked inlet manifold and found them to be fine and not getting any air leakage i can hear but I'm yet to do a full smoke test.

What I have noticed and maybe someone here can shed some light on this one is that the Primary turbo electronic actuator doesnt stroke fully in each direction when the ignition gets put on and off and I thought it should.

Also the secondary turbo doesnt seem to have a vacuum on idle but maybe thats supposed to be like that until 2800 RPM and that turbo gets functioned by the control solenoid?

I've tried manifold pressure sensors and boost solenoids off another car that was running fine but this made no difference.

Would be gratefull for any assistance as I'm scratching my head on how it seems to go into fault.

Thanks in advance.
Gav

Post #227865113th Feb 2022 2:52 pm
James260391

United Kingdom 

Hi mate did you ever get to the bottom of this
Please im having the same issue

Post #22987186th Jul 2022 1:13 am
Gmacd

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Disco boot issue

Morning James,

Yes I did get to the bottom of this issue.

I ended up removing the primary turbo (Passenger side ) and splitting it to get into the nozzle to clean up as it was alll sooted up and the actuator wasnt managing to operate it fully in both directions. rebuilt and it was perfect and the actuator was function to fully open and closed when you put the ignition on but something to note when your tyring to diagnose this the actuator wont try to function on every time you swtich ignition on, you need to leave a couple of mins inbetween tries, but I was just popping a battery lead off to reset it and it would operate on each time ignition was put on then.

All this work can be done with the body on and theres a good few hours stripping and rebuilding but not a bad job.

Give me a shout if you need anymore info.

Cheers
Gav

Post #22987256th Jul 2022 6:12 am
James260391

United Kingdom 

Hi gav thanks hopefully this is the same for
Me any tips or
Pictures or anything you could advise on what is needed for removal ? And how does
It come out lol
Regards
James

Post #22987636th Jul 2022 11:28 am
Gmacd

Hi James,

I dont think I have any photos actually but Theres nothing majorly hard about it but you ideally need a 2 x post ramp.

Quick run through of the top of my head is remove, battery and battery box, Egr & cooler are one piece and it will come out the top although tight.

Remove wheel, arsh cover and the top wishbone and then all boost pipes connected to the turbo.

Disconnect oil feed to turbo from the top and oil return from the bottom.

Unbolt the exhaust header from the turbo from underneath which is a bit awkward but can be done and then unbolt turbo from the manifold which you will need some U-spanners to get into the back nut to make it easier or even possible.

Disconnect the actuator wiring and then support engine and remove passenger side engine mount and the turbo will then come out the space you have left.

the turbo actuator arm should move freely when disconnected from the actuator solenoid if not split the turbo from the exhaust housing and clean up all the soot and lubricate, If you think its remotely tight for whatever reason id be replacing the turbo, there not overly expensive for a good second hand on ebay, possible one on here if you look.

Hope that info is of use.

Good luck!
Cheers
Gav

Post #22987656th Jul 2022 11:45 am
James260391

United Kingdom 

Ok thank you mate will let you know how it goes
For me lol Confused

Post #22987806th Jul 2022 1:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1