Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Bodsy's Brake Bible - pure genius
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dave T

England 
Bodsy's Brake Bible - pure genius

After destroying my EPB shoes last week I set about replacing them today with new ones. Had downloaded a copy of the brake bible, without which I'm not sure that I would have attempted this job.

During the course of doing this work I did come across a couple of wee anomalies though:

1. I couldn't see where you were supposed to Install the primary shoe., or am I just blind, stupid or something else Whistle Whistle After much swearing and cursing trying to fit the shoe and then the return spring I went for putting the return spring into place and using the shoe as a lever to get it into place, was a bit fiddly then getting the spreader plate in place but got there eventually, the second side was a whle lot quicker.

2. When it came to the bedding in procedure, I just couldn't make it work no matter what I did, I tried every combination of letting the brake work at each point or quickly operating the lever and different starting points but it just wouldn't work, any ideas????? It is a manual 2005 S.

3. Must disagree wholeheartedly about the statement "may need 3 hands here", it was at least four Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

4. Make sure you actually look and take in how the cable retaining spring fits as it really doesn't look right when you do it, I ended up dismantling the other side to check how that one was fitted.

Overall, an excellent document that I think we are very lucky to have, don't be afraid, give it a go and save hundreds of pounds of dealer costs.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #7712176th Mar 2011 6:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks Embarassed

I'm always ready to take any feedback to improve it further. Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #7713256th Mar 2011 8:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

Bodsy, could you try and make the bedding in part a little more specific, things like what is the state of everything to begin with, when operating the switch do you need to wait for the brake itself to operate or just move it through the positions etc.

Are all cars the same for this or is there a difference in model years, ie I couldn't get it to say bedding in mode at all.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #7714617th Mar 2011 8:02 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Dave,
Remember you only have to press the brake about 5mm to perform the signalling; and make sure it returns to zero position before trying the next press. This makes it much quicker to do - are you exceeding the 10 seconds by fully pressing the pedal each time? The EPB switch is only being used to signal the ECU so you don't have to wait for the brakes to operate; again just make sure that the switch returns to zero position before the next movement.

The bedding procedure can sometimes be set after a drive, but I've found that more often once you've driven the car it won't set.
Stop the car, key out and lock it and then open/start/set bedding procedure straight away.

I did have issues myself setting the bedding in procedure at one point, and it turned out my EPB switch was failing...so if you cannot get it to bed in then that may possibly be the issue.

Lastly, and I don't know why, but I press the brake 5 times before using the switch; I'll try three times later today to see if it's just 'cos I'm a pilock with a bad memory or if there was an actual need to do so.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #7714677th Mar 2011 8:55 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Should only need 3 presses of the pedal to get it to work Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #7715017th Mar 2011 11:10 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Pillock it is Thumbs Up
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #7715067th Mar 2011 11:27 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Dave, whenever I've had problems getting a car into bedding in mode, it's always been because the brake pedal hasn't gone back to the top properly.
If you put your foot under the pedal after each time you press it down, to ensure it lifts to the top, you should be fine. Thumbs Up

Dom, pillock! Wink
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #7715987th Mar 2011 5:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >