Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

BMS Reset or Not
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
B16 KJR

Scotland 
BMS Reset or Not

I have always had a bit of an issue with low battery voltage mostly when trying to use my FBHIC3. Nine times out of 10 it shows up the '84' low voltage error and doesn't run. I have had the car checked and tested twice by JLR who say that although the battery was low, it just passed their test.

With the cold weather nowhere, I am getting more and more low battery warnings on the dashboard if I leave the car for a few days and there's no point in using the FBHIC3 because I know it wont run. Even after a long 100 mile run, the battery voltage the next day sits around 12.1v - 12.3v. I have it hooked up now to my Ctek charger for the last 3 days and its now sitting charging at 13.1v and just wondered if it would be advisable to reset the BMS to see if that would help ?

My theory is that as the car was manufactured in July 2016 and I didn't buy it until April 2017, that means the battery was lying uncharged in the car for 9 months which probably didn't do it any good.

Post #201042718th Dec 2018 1:21 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Looks to me (non techie version) battery is knackered. Of course LR will say it’s OK when in warranty, one day outside and they’ll say change it. Cynical, moi? Whistle

Post #201048418th Dec 2018 4:40 pm
jonp

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi.

It could be possibly be your battery but how about your alternator not working properly ??. It should have a start/stop AGM battery fitted

regards

Jonathan

Post #201048718th Dec 2018 4:48 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Washwipe

England 

Two of with 16 plate Landmarks on here have had the battery changed in the last six weeks or so, so don’t be surprised if the battery is goosed.

Post #201052918th Dec 2018 5:50 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

I have always felt that the battery isn't holding the charge as it should and have had it back to JLR twice to be checked, but its the old story 'computer says no' therefore they wont do anything about it. In my mind a fully charged battery should sit at about 12.7v - 12.8v and should be capable of holding the charge for a few weeks.

However in my car after a long run, the next day the voltage always drops to about 12.1v - 12.3v and JLR are adamant that is perfectly OK and within 'acceptable tolerances' but then the FBHIC3 won't start due to the '84' low voltage error Evil or Very Mad and I am getting the 'Low Battery Start the Car' warnings on the dash.

Is it worth resetting the BMS and see if that helps ? Should I just replace the battery myself ?

Post #201087919th Dec 2018 12:42 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

12.1v - 12.3v is Low min should be 12.5v

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #201096919th Dec 2018 5:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JonM

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

A BMS reset will do no harm. I tried it when mine was showing a variety of minor electrical gremlins but still starting reliably. It sorted some of the gremlins for a while but wasn't a full solution.

Despite the battery voltage looking ok, I eventually took the gamble and fitted a new one. All the problems were instantly solved.

I think D4s are very sensitive to voltage dropping when the battery is under load even if it's voltage is ok when there is no load.
 MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price! - So good I bought another!
MY2012 D4 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - retired to a new home

Post #201097319th Dec 2018 5:16 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

OK, as long as doing a BMS reset won't do any harm i'll do that tomorrow ?

Mick, I think the voltage is too low, but I keep getting told its 'within tolerance' and therefore they wont replace the battery. I will try the BMS reset as its now been on charge for the last 3 days and see where we go from there. If it still wont hold at least 12.5v after a few days sitting without use, I think I will just put a new battery in it myself rather than waste anymore of my time and fuel getting it booked back into JLR again. Rolling Eyes

Post #201099719th Dec 2018 6:07 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

“Within tolerances” sounds like the other phrases LR like to use when they want to avoid shelling out for shoddy products, specifically “working within design intent” and “driving style”. Thumbs Up

Post #201100019th Dec 2018 6:13 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

'Characteristic of the vehicle' was the phrase they used for the thump that came from the transfer box when slowing down for a junction then accelerating away again without stopping, I'm sure everyone else called it 'transfer box needed re-calibrating'

Post #201103019th Dec 2018 7:49 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Yep, and recalibration would be needed if it was 3 years + 1 day. Along with the answer to the question “and how would Sir like to pay?” Thumbs Up

Post #201103219th Dec 2018 7:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >