DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

BlackVue Install
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kljw

Scotland 
BlackVue Install

Hi
ok, I know there are threads about this, and there are some pictures of how to hard wire the unit on a D3, but has anyone done this on a D4? my concern is removing the plastic surround for the lights in the front section. not wanting to brake it. has anyone done this, and can you give any pointers as to make it easier, should be difficult that is.

keith
 Cheers
Keith 

Post #109119520th Apr 2013 2:27 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

keith, I followed these instructions by Amazing (Link) but instead of soldering a fuse I used an 'add a fuse'

If you mean the interior light fitting that comes out really easy, just grab it at the front (the bit nearest the screen) and pull backwards and downward and it should just pop out. I managed the install without breaking anything so it can't be that hard Thumbs Up

Obviously Amazing's car is LHD so everything is opposite Whistle
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #109134220th Apr 2013 8:42 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

I have got a BlackVue camera installed in the front and rear of my D4. Very easy to hide the wiring, only difficult part was the rear camera - threading the cable from the roof through the rubber cable connector to the top tailgate.

As HD said, the front light unit comes out easily by pulling it down from the front. I threaded the power cable up into the headlining on the left of the rear view mirror, from there to the passenger side, down the a pillar (make sure its at the back of the airbag!) and down to the fuse box area. Both my cameras are connected via a power magic box. For this you need 2 power connections, 1 that is live when the ignition is on (Fuse 53) and the other which is a battery connection - Fuse 41.

Post #109139220th Apr 2013 9:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kljw

Scotland 

Chaps
many thanks, had a play yesterday and got the roof panel off, so just need the green light off the boss, and away we go.
 Cheers
Keith 

Post #109161821st Apr 2013 3:20 pm
kljw

Scotland 

Hi
blackvue 500 installed. managed to run wire around trim, and the right angle power connector looks ok, when plugged into the 12v socket, so may not go down the rout of a hard wife at the moment.
 Cheers
Keith 

Post #109514727th Apr 2013 7:40 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

kljw wrote:
of a hard wife at the moment.

Freudian slip Keith? Whistle Laughing
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #109524227th Apr 2013 9:48 pm
kljw

Scotland 

hi
well spotted, that's the joy of being dyslexic, but there is always some truth in things we say....
 Cheers
Keith 

Post #109527227th Apr 2013 11:14 pm
chopcat

Wales 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

WOODY179 wrote:
I have got a BlackVue camera installed in the front and rear of my D4. Very easy to hide the wiring, only difficult part was the rear camera - threading the cable from the roof through the rubber cable connector to the top tailgate.

As HD said, the front light unit comes out easily by pulling it down from the front. I threaded the power cable up into the headlining on the left of the rear view mirror, from there to the passenger side, down the a pillar (make sure its at the back of the airbag!) and down to the fuse box area. Both my cameras are connected via a power magic box. For this you need 2 power connections, 1 that is live when the ignition is on (Fuse 53) and the other which is a battery connection - Fuse 41.

Woody
where did you take the power connections from for the rear camera?
CC
 may the odds be ever in your favor  
Post #112075921st Jun 2013 3:58 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

CC

I took the power for my rear camera from the same place as the front one, I did however use two power magic units. The power cable for the rear camera was run up into the roof via the rubber connection attached to the top tailgate, from there I fed the cable down to where the tow bar is normally stowed. Then the cable was run under the door trims until it got to the front where I connected it to the power magic.

I believe that you could also connect it to the relevant wires that feed the tow electrics, however it only took me 15 minutes.

Post #112091521st Jun 2013 8:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chopcat

Wales 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
rear BV install

Put my rear unit in yesterday in between the storms.
The pics are not great but maybe of help

having removed the trim the big issue was how to run the power lead though the rubber hose bit. after a bit of struggling the smart money is on cutting the lead tying in a bit of fishing line and pulling it through.

You can re solder it later.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

The power can be run behind the rear door seal and with a bit of wire taped on to the lead you can push though to the LHS cubby box and take the power there with no need for removing the trim. Power from towing electrics blue/pink live all the time and great for blowing a fuse if you use a scotch lock and touch the pliers on the bodywork Laughing and ignition feed and earth from the 12 v socket. No need to get to it just feel for the two wires wrapped in tape and tap into them.

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

All in all not too bad.

oh and remember to use a new pair of latex gloves every time you fiddle with the light coloured trim panels to avoid finger marks.

CC

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
 may the odds be ever in your favor  
Post #112108322nd Jun 2013 11:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >