Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

A bit of advice on purchasing ( not what to look for!!)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Baz31

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
A bit of advice on purchasing ( not what to look for!!)

Hi
Been searching for a d3 to replace my aged and almost beyond repair D2 for a while. I have limited funds of up to about £5k and have seen a mixture of low spec and high spec ones. For a range of prices and mileage etc.
Test drove a manual and didn’t really feel connected with it like an auto so think it has to be an auto.

I have looked at an SE with 112k and in reasonable condition but no paperwork. Guy seems genuine when he says they have put a wheel bearing on and did the belt and tensioner when they got it but as they have their own workshop for the business they do it all themselves etc. It drove nicely ( however I drove a Manual D2 everyday that needs work so not much to compare to!) with no warnings or bongs etc.

So the question is, am I better with a higher mileage (154k) with some paperwork but at the top end of budget or a model like this leaving room for early repairs / mega flush?

It would be an everyday vehicle so need to get the best I can for the funds available but just looking for some thoughts etc.
Thanks
Baz

Post #209633231st Oct 2019 12:54 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Proof of service history really has to be your minimum base position for buying, unless you want to lay awake at night pondering the worst of possible consequences!! That said, a well maintained D3 can still go wrong but you should largely mitigate this by searching out a car with sound maintenance records.

Like most things in life you get what you pay for, and £5K is at the low to mid scale of D3 ownership. So with that in mind my recommendation would be to for you bide your time a while until you can stretch a little further for a later D3. Whichever you decide, it is advisable to keep a small budget in reserve just in case something does go wrong after you purchase, especially if its a private sale. If you can do the inspection yourself well and good, If not get hold of someone who knows these cars and ask them to appraise it before you buy.

There are very often well maintained D3's for sale here by forum members, so might be worth keeping an eye out! Best of luck with your search, and you can always post a query here before you buy if in any doubt. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #209634231st Oct 2019 3:30 am
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Lack of paper work means nothing really. Buying any used car is a gamble. That said, I’m not sure I’d buy one without paper work.

At some point in a discos life they turn into a money pit. I’m not sure I’d like to rely on one as a daily driver. Both could have been looked after. Both could have been abused.

It’s down to gut feeling in my opinion. How it feels, looks etc and of course if there is proof of work carried out it does carry a bonus.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #209635531st Oct 2019 7:52 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I bought mine with no paperwork, it looked right, it drove right and it felt right, so I bought it! 4.5 years later and I have to say it has been a good car.

Service history is nice, but as the cars get older/less valuable you are going to get more diy servicing.

I would say proof of a new oil pump out trumps any other single thing on a D3 by a country mile.

Post #209635731st Oct 2019 8:05 am
Baz31

Thanks for the thoughts, going to have another couple of days looking round before making a decision.
Appreciate you taking the time
Cheers
Baz

Post #209658631st Oct 2019 11:29 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

and MOT history

Post #20966131st Nov 2019 12:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,
at that price area I would concentrate on condition, miles/spec/age will not mean a lot if you have to spend ££££ soon after

as said at that age home servicing if done correctly is better than just a stamp in a book, but hopefully receipts to back anything up for the bigger items (oil pump) which I would expect to keep for the parts guarantee Rolling Eyes
Receipts for oil and filters may be not

If they say they change the oil and filter every 6 months

Become the detective, what oil is sat on the shelf, what do they use for a top up,
if its "what ever is on offer at ECP" not impressed,
if they bought 5 tubs of the correct spec (C1 or C3 depending?) then that adds up a bit better
and if they do their own servicing ask them to pop the pollen filter out Shocked well at least show you where it is Laughing

as you say try a few and the Bad ones should stand out, good ones you never know what around the corner anyway Rolling Eyes
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #20966211st Nov 2019 12:20 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Pop the suspension into off road height and have a good look for leaks and rust underneath , pay particular attention to the bottom odf the sills.
You cant see the actual sills as they are covered by a plastic cover but you can see the bottom seam.
Do a quick search on the forum for the sills as they can get very rusty under the covers, i recently removed mine to find a load of rust luckily it was all surface rust and easily dealt with.

Post #20966521st Nov 2019 7:13 am
RogB

United Kingdom 

There is guy in Huthwaite (just over the Notts border from Derbys) selling a silver 2007 SE with 142k for £5250 on Gumtree.
Looks decent, manual not auto
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #20966621st Nov 2019 8:53 am
Baz31

Brill thanks guys. Never thought about the off road height to Make it easier to look underneath Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes going to utilise that now.

Appreciate all of the thoughts, is there a way to tell if the oil pump has been done or is it only through asking and paperwork?

Thanks again all.

Post #20966691st Nov 2019 9:03 am
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi you cant see the oil pump without stripping parts off the engine, even if it has been changed you still wont know if the have used the later pump unless it has the part number on the invoice.
I would budget for having belts and pumps replaced if you are not sure.

Post #20968681st Nov 2019 6:46 pm
Baz31

Thank you, I thought as much but worth an ask.
Baz

Post #20968821st Nov 2019 7:35 pm
Dazz360

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I brought a manual D3 with loads of paper work and 184,000 on the clock and checking through the papers all the dreaded problems had been done Turbo suspension some upper arms and lower arms, serviced regular too I still had issues with it like injectors returning to much fuel and blowing the leak off pipe off And all discs epb and flexi brake pipes replaced.I payed 7000 for the car. My second D3 was same year 05 with hardly any paperwork but 152,000 miles auto for 5700 and I am changing everything I’ve previously done with the other disco and more half shafts gbox filter intercooler pipes coolant leak full timing belts,oil pump old style And coolant pump. Still got all discs, pads, epb and flexi brake hoses to do and I think I’ve got a calliper sticking and a prop shaft knackered so it is what you choose and personnel you do have a fighting chance with paperwork and also if your happy to do the work yourself like me. I don’t trust garages at all so done all timing belts and other stuff so I know it’s done right and been done to start with. Good luck but get someone else with you to check them over they might see something you didn’t Thumbs Up
 Metal auto sump & fluid change (3 hrs)
LR door puddle projectors (10 mins)
Tinted Bonnet wind deflector (10 mins)
All Intercooler pipes and Tbolts (2hrs)
3 injectors replaced so far (30mins)
Sunroof drain pipes both sides 2.5 hrs)
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Post #20968921st Nov 2019 7:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >