Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Bike Rack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Bike Rack

I've seen posts on this before but my question is different.

I have a universal 'hatchback mount' bike rack which I use on another vehicle at the moment. Can I use this on my Disco 3 which I am due to collect mid-December?

I have ordered a removable tow bar ( for neatness - I won't be towing that often) and therefore can't use the LR bike rack.

I've though of a roof rack but I think the overall height will be too much for the cross-channel ferries.

Any thoughts please Question

Noizeman

Post #10223216th Nov 2006 10:50 am
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've a similar rack but have discounted using it on the disco as it involves straps/strain/possible scratched paint etc......I too specced a removeable towbar to take a rack for 4 bikes...there are loads around and loads of posts about them.......might even use a box on the bike rack for holidays with the outlaws (7 seats used)
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #10223416th Nov 2006 11:02 am
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Thule tow ball mounted carrier did the laungedoc and the Costa Blanca this summer. Highly recommended by other users on this site (they will know who they are) and is a well built bit of kit.
Picture of it mounted on car are in my gallery.
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #10223816th Nov 2006 11:19 am
blueanchorinn
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Maxraxx make a swan neck mounted bike rack that takes 4 bikes. Very pleased Very Happy with mine and Max is a very helpful chap ! The draw back is that the towbar and attachment will not fit in the supplied stowage place so mine lives in the garage when not in use. Very sturdy though mine has been well used and unlike the strap on one I had on a previous car I have never felt the need to keep checking whilst driving.
 Pot Noodle Challenge Winner 2011
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person 

Post #10224116th Nov 2006 11:28 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
noizeman

Thanks for info. One of the Thule racks seems the way forward but which one do you have ANDY? There are three models ranging from just over £100 (9402) to £259 (Euroclassic 903).

How do this fix to the ball, is it just friction with a clamp, or do they have another attachment point somewhere? Ican't imagine a ball-only fixing being reliable enough.

Noizeman.

Post #10224316th Nov 2006 11:43 am
Andy4467

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I purchased the 'Euro Classic 903'. I was also sceptical about how it actually fixes to the ball, I'll try my best to explain:
There is a positive screw which locks onto the area below the ball, this physically prevents the rack from dropping to the ground and restricts all except vertical movement of the rack.
Then there is the a lever which firmly clamps the rack in position and stops all movement of the rack.
Obviously with abuse/violent driving it might be possible for the rack to move, however it can't fall off or drop down as it is secured by the locking screw.
I found it better than either the roof mounted or the boot mounted that I have used on other cars.
I should be on commission! 8)
 Some say the glass is half full. Others that it is half empty. I say 'Are you drinking that?"

Cairns Blue, Ebony Leather, SE
BMW 320d M sport 

Post #10225416th Nov 2006 12:38 pm
noizeman

Many thnaks for the advice. I've got all the information I need now.

Noizeman

Post #10228316th Nov 2006 2:11 pm
suevite

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I also bought a Thule 9403, which is cheap and brilliant.

The kids jumped on it to test it Shocked (not that I suggested that), and solid as a rock on the swanneck towbar (to my slight surprise). It tilts the bikes slighty towards the rear door, so careful with the innermost bike. Two screw clips to undo and it all tilts away to allow opening of door (havent tested with bikes on yet).

I am planning to put 4 bikes on it this weekend, it is that strong, namely 2 adult and 2 kiddies bikes Smile . The number plate and lights all worked/plug and play, but it does arrive as a DIY box of bits that will take you around one hour to assemble. About £100 all in, got mine as others have done, from http://www.saveanddrive.co.uk/shop/frame/main.htm
 Don't put it off, go for it!  
Post #10229616th Nov 2006 3:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Had my Maxxraxx fitted today, happy with it too. Shame we all had to wait so long after the D3 group-buy.

Post #10229816th Nov 2006 3:33 pm
timd3

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

currently have the old maxxrack on my D2 but fitted to multiheight towbar, but will be moving to the swan neck on the new D3 - so will want to move to clamp option.

read on numerous threads the recent (or not so recent) historical problems with the clamp - until these updates above. Is now all well with this option? Or do I need to be looking at other options to tow & carry up to 4 bikes at the same time?

cheers, tim
 2007 TDV6SE Auto Stornoway Grey - now sold...  
Post #1077707th Dec 2006 1:58 pm
nobbyclark

I have a Pendle rack on my removeable tow bar. Holds 4 bikes no problems. Also a lot cheaper than the others, but bomb-proof. Link is here: http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/nulldet.asp?Rack=Discovery%20Rack

I have also tried the strappy racks that you refer to, but they take ages to adjust and easily loosen if you go around a lot of corners. They also love scratching paintwork.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #1077727th Dec 2006 2:04 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Bike Rack

noizeman wrote:
I've seen posts on this before but my question is different.

I have a universal 'hatchback mount' bike rack which I use on another vehicle at the moment. Can I use this on my Disco 3 which I am due to collect mid-December? Noizeman

Hi Noizeman. Being too tight too purchase the LR rack I made use of the one I've been using for many years on Saloons & Hatchbacks. Have been using it on my D3 for almost 2 years with no problems. I can secure it to the D3 and theres no damaged paintwork. Travelled extensively throughout Highlands, Lakes, Dales, Moors + South Coast and its as secure as anything. No Towbar, Light Board required. Plan to take some photos soon and do a 'Post'.... keep your eyes peeled Shocked
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #1077807th Dec 2006 2:28 pm
Ocsid

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I also want to tow and carry two Hybrid bikes at the same time [I have the detachable tow bar].
At present I do this by putting the bikes in the Disco on a fork-clamping device I made up. However we now face taking the grandson and safety concerns I have will not allow me to carry him in a rear seat with the bikes adjacent.
I have been looking at exploiting the Towing eye as a mounting point for a cycle rack; it's certainly strong enough. It has the benefit of carrying the bike loads directly and independent of the tow hitch, unlike “A” frame based solutions. I even sent some sketches exploring this concept to a UK rack maker pointing out the potential market with Disco3's, RR Sports and the scheduled RR replacement but they were uninterested.
Unfortunately now retired I have not the access to the machine shop I once had, but I remain convinced there is a neat simple solution here. Even an adaptor to exploit an existing rack [Pendle?] or terminating in a ball to be able to use Thule’s brilliant 970 Xpress would be fine.

Post #1078697th Dec 2006 6:00 pm
timd3

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

nobbyclark wrote:
I have a Pendle rack on my removeable tow bar. Holds 4 bikes no problems. Also a lot cheaper than the others, but bomb-proof. Link is here: http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/nulldet.asp?Rack=Discovery%20Rack.

nobbyclark - can you tow at same time as having the pendle rack fitted to the swan neck tow ball? Looked at the site - didn't look possible? Let me know if I have options other than a maxxrack.

cheers, tim
 2007 TDV6SE Auto Stornoway Grey - now sold...  
Post #1081558th Dec 2006 10:30 am
nobbyclark

Quote:
can you tow at same time as having the pendle rack fitted to the swan neck tow ball

No, 'fraid not. The clamp that holds the 2 poles completely covers the tow ball. Although, there is an 'eye' at the top of the clamp and I have used that to tow a car, albeit temporarily.
 No longer a D3 owner but still subscribed to multiple threads!  
Post #1081638th Dec 2006 10:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >