Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Best all round tyre for economic tyre wear and fuel economy?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Best all round tyre for economic tyre wear and fuel economy?
Vredestein Wintrac
15%
 15%  [7]
Pirelli Scorpion Zero
6%
 6%  [3]
Pirelli Scorpion ATR
34%
 34%  [15]
Michelin Latitude
2%
 2%  [1]
Goodyear Wrangler ATR
9%
 9%  [4]
Goodyear General Grabber AT2
31%
 31%  [14]
Total Votes: 44

disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I had BF Goodrich AT's on my D2 and got an amazing 108k (yes 108 thousand) miles !!

In light of the lack of choice for 19" rims, I have just changed these on my HSE for 18" SE ones, main reason - better tyre choice, so, from above I gather the Pirellii ATR's are good Thumbs Up

Anyone run on General Grabber AT's Question

Just back from the LRE Snowdonia outing, and of all the tyres on 'display' the GY MTR's seemed good, but the LRE cars were on the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Zeros, and performed just as good - so decisions decisions Whistle Whistle
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #59441031st Jan 2010 10:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

AT2's great tyre and Great aesthetically however the sidewalls are prone to damage pushed the AT2 to is limits and beyond in Morocco and very impressed

ATRs are even better in side wall resilience however they don't have the same aggressive stance as AT2's

So the Choice really is form over function Thumbs Up

Post #59444731st Jan 2010 10:52 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Did anyone have Vredestien wintracs in the desert? Would be interested to know how they performed in sand with self clearing tread Wink

Post #59448431st Jan 2010 11:16 pm
Ken

Now we know you are a Censored just Censored off little boy :wink:and play with your maplin remote control D3 Whistle

Post #5945431st Feb 2010 6:39 am
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

Disco_Steve,

Now thats what you call value for money.

We have seen some huge mileages from BFGoodrich AT tyres over the years, even the MT is not bad either, the only down side is on some higher mileage BFG AT's we are seeing the casings fail and going out of shape, mind you at that stage I think you have had your monies worth I think.

Andy.

Post #5945451st Feb 2010 6:58 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

Real shame no BFG KM2 in 19's Big Cry

Post #5945521st Feb 2010 7:45 am
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Scorpions

OK mine came with the D3...they lasted 25k ish miles
But the last few M's these were desperate in the wet....planing on anything but a dry road
despite the fact they weren't down to minimum millimetres....strangely OK in some 2009 snow

When they came of to fit the Vreds....the tyre shop commented they had never seen tyres go this way....
shiny & glazed....the wear pattern was even (I work hard at keeping right pressure)

Its a pity tyre type + make cant be chosen when you buy buy or order the car from new

Previously on a D2 used Wranglers & these lasted into the high 30k miles with far better grip right till the end
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #5945541st Feb 2010 7:57 am
ryetecman

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Grabber AT2 get my vote just done 52K on a set and only taken off to put on a set of Goodyear MTR's for the snow as the tread on the AT2's while still leagal was no good on our terrible country roads especailly when towing large trailers which I do all the time.AT2's are great if you drive on roads with lots of surface water, found original goodyears aquaplanes alot on our outback roads, AT2's cured this. Very Happy

To get high milage on a D3 (whatever tyres you prefer) you must turn the tyres on the rims when you start to notice the inside edge of the tyre dissapearing (both front and back)as this will be the reason to change the tyres not nice even wear accross the tyre, thats the penalty we pay for independant suspension. Big Cry
 Love landrovers despite all the've thrown at me !  
Post #5945551st Feb 2010 8:00 am
JMC

Scotland 

Grabber AT2 would be the choice of the masses....... It's the Ford Mondeo of the tyres which is certainly not a criticism. It does most things very well, it looks reasonable and manly, and it doesn't give away much on the road side of performance. However, the ATR would be the discerning choice of the Horse & Hounds reader you know...... As well as one or two plebs in full fat Rangies Whistle
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #5946091st Feb 2010 10:32 am
sandylane

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

JMC wrote:
However, the ATR would be the discerning choice of the Horse & Hounds reader you know...... As well as one or two plebs in full fat Rangies Whistle

Don't Grabbers have white writing on them? Isn't that a bit vulgar for genlemen of the country and FFRR owners? Question Laughing
 Club D4 XS
Club Pirelli Scorpion ATR 

Post #5948141st Feb 2010 4:12 pm
Ken

He means Scorpion ATR not a white letter in site Whistle

Post #5948151st Feb 2010 4:14 pm
sandylane

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Ken wrote:
He means Scorpion ATR not a white letter in site Whistle

Ah yes - it helps if I read the post properly Whistle

Must admit, no matter how many extra miles or ££ saved, one simply can't bring oneself to put Grabbers with white "graffitti" onto a D4...... Whistle
 Club D4 XS
Club Pirelli Scorpion ATR 

Post #5948251st Feb 2010 4:39 pm
AJS4X4

United Kingdom 

No white letters on the General AT2 in 17" and 18" either, even if there were they can be fitted facing inwards.

Andy. www.ajstyres.co.uk

Post #5948441st Feb 2010 5:26 pm
Ken

Ken wrote:
He means Scorpion ATR not a white letter in sight Whistle

What if fitted to a commercial and the date dot is on the white side of say Cooper STT's Wink

Post #5948831st Feb 2010 6:12 pm
MikeS

Wales 

Interesting thread, I've just come over from t'other side, as I'll soon be after some new treads for my ex-G4 Challenge RRS and want something a little more useful than the trash Vredesteins fitted to the front by the dealer. Given that some of you boys with the D3's use them a tad differently to the RRS chaps I thought I'd come for a look here instead Wink

My 'problem' if you like is that I'm sticking to the OEM 19" rims, I can't be faffed with having smaller wheels / another set of wheels so I'm looking at either a 255/50 or 255/55 19 and of course therein lies the issue, the choice of tyre is limited. I do iro 25k miles a year so tyre life and being a V8 petrol, mpg impact is important to me, which rules out a set of MT/R's. Predominantly motorway & road but I work on construction sites, so it does get used in the muck (also do the odd green lane / offroad type stuff) and I want something that will work offroad. The Conti's on the rear don't struggle too much in the mucky stuff, so they're an option I guess.

I've come from an old P38 that I used to run on the OEM Pirelli ST's, which lasted forever, were relatively cheap *and* worked well offroad, certainly never had any complaints at all. From the posts in this thread there's a clear favourite in the General, with the Pirelli ATR coming in as well albeit it sounds like a costly tyre, but I'm assuming that's in an 18" ? I've looked at Cooper's, but the size is the limiting factor, looks like I'd have to go the whole hog and buy a set of 20" Stormers with LTZ's on, which isn't my preferred route just yet !

Any recommendations from those of you running 19" wheels, I'd really appreciate it. I've only recently bought this car so I'm not so well informed on the tyre choices.

Help !

Cheers

Mike
 BV55 YZE, ex G4 Challenge RRS. So not a Disco 3. Well, not quite.  
Post #5955352nd Feb 2010 4:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >