Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Battery lasting nearly 12 months to the day....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lard

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Battery lasting nearly 12 months to the day....

So just had a good service on the Disco prior to crossing France later next month and getting it tip top - got a new drive shaft to replace, just had all the powersteering flushed out and new reservoir

anyhoo - noticed a couple of times a message appear and then go quickly on startup before I could capture it.... then yesterday after about an hour of driving went into limp mode, lowered, fault displayed - restarted it then no problem for another hour of driving through key cycling

went into faults, nothing obvious, loss of communication e.t.c.

recalled I had this once before and replaced the battery and all went away.....checked when I installed the old one... 24th July 2019... near enough exact to the year since it was put in!

That one replaced the previous battery... exactly one year after I bought it!

Since the second battery I've been using a CTEK in the winter to maintain it (particularly for the FBH in the mornings via the controller) - if it is indeed the battery again then pretty solid pattern of 1 year before it gives problems

I've got a dashcam that charges a battery pack when it starts up, also have the FBH connected with SIM card in it, so it's constantly got a drain on the battery and then has accessories to charge as soon as it starts

Checked the voltage when running, constant 13.7v - I left the ignition on and checked the voltage with aircon on, radio on and it dropped below 12v so thinking it's having issues maintaining voltage underload

Anyway, long post short, I'm getting 1 year out of a battery (EA1000 this time, previous Bosch S2) - I'm not intending to claim a new one under warranty as am starting to think that it's the Disco just chewing through them rather than any quality issue - have ordered:

YBX5019 Yuasa Silver High Performance Car Battery 12V 100Ah HSB019

Will see how it goes this time around but assume my experience is not abnormal?

Post #216353526th Jul 2020 2:00 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

13.7 aint enough, okay after a long run of say 50 plus miles, intitially should be 15+
Only time it should ever drop under 12 is winter cold start, heated screens on etc, and then only until rpms bought up.

Get one of them cheap cig lighter volt gauges off of ebay and monitor volts dirng daily use.
I would suspect poss alt issue?

My car ate the ea1000 battery, very dissapointed in that, fitted same yuasa you are getting, and it has been fine for well over a year now, daily commute of all of 5 miles!

Post #216355426th Jul 2020 4:07 pm
lard

ah brill - great to hear you've had good results - I'll get a cheapo gauge and keep an eye on it, good idea!

Post #216355626th Jul 2020 4:14 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If the battery is fully charged and there are low power demands after a long run the voltage will be lower than 15v

Post #216356326th Jul 2020 4:48 pm
lard

Well I put the new voltage reader in and it matches the IID-Tool reading which is encouraging, 13.8 ish at idle from cold, ignition off and ACC position on, wait a couple of seconds and the battery goes from 12.9, then drops 0.1 every second until it steadies out at 11.9v - this is a battery that's had a CTEK on it once a month so not too impressed with it's resting voltage under minor load and is indicating that it's time for a new one.... will try the same test with replacement and compare if of interest

Impressed with the little 12v socket voltmeter, well constructed anodised aluminium and a good price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08138...&psc=1

Post #216385127th Jul 2020 5:13 pm
lynalldiscovery

I assume that is with engine off?
If so mine does pretty much the same, stabilises at 11.9/12 volts.
Never measured at the actuall battery itself.

It also did the same with the ea1000 battery, but the ea1000 was seriously down on cranking power in the cold weather, certainly did not inspire confidence, Iirc was 18 mths old, maybe less.

Post #216386627th Jul 2020 5:56 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Batteries last for a certain number of charges using a battery charger increases the number of charges a battery gets and reduces the life span.
Another member posted some information on this about 12 months ago and at the time i didnt beleive it but after a bit of research i found it to be true.

Manufacturers are also reducing the lead content of batteries to save cost which reduces lifespan, buy a good quality battery with a long warranty as its likely to have a bigger lead content.
What battery have you currently got fitted? I know Bosch have big problems with lifespan. The AA use rebranded Bosch batteries and are currently replacing 60% under there no quibble garantee, its costing them a fortune and most are failing in under 12 months. They were originally rejecting the warranty if people were doing short start stop journeys until they were taken to court and lost because they have 2yr no quibble garantee written on top of the battery.

Post #216387327th Jul 2020 6:27 pm
lard

Currently EA1000, previous was Bosch - theory on finite life of battery through charging makes sense, I keep the CTEK on it to take up constant drain of FBH controller and in winter for the heater cycle... perhaps should only use it over winter and then only if it’s going to be sat for a while....

Post #216387627th Jul 2020 6:34 pm
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Maybe you just need to drive it more. Surprised

Post #216400028th Jul 2020 8:08 am
lard

ha! it used to do 60 mile commute everyday but alas has been sat and only used for long distance trips over the last few months - have saved it from 6000 miles in the last 4 months Very Happy

Post #216403828th Jul 2020 10:14 am
lard

Battery replaced tonight, took it out for an hour run and this was what I noted:

old battery - ignition switch to 1 position = 11.9v - starting was fine - running 13.9v

new battery - ignition switch to 1 position = 12.6v - running around 13.9 (dropped to 13.6v after 40 mins)

One unrelated but added bonus is that my mpg has been stuck at no better than 28mpg for a while, disconnecting the battery has reset it and managed to get 31mpg on the motorway Very Happy

Post #216423928th Jul 2020 11:39 pm
ambrown31

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
Battery type

I have a couple of comments but keep in mind I have the 4.4l petrol and I am in the USA so I imagine batteries I get will be different. I just replaced an H7 group size AGM battery that lasted 5 years exactly. I just replaced it with an H8 size AGM.

I recommend charging whatever you get before you put it in service just to make sure it’s at 100% instead of making the alternator charge it.

I am seeing 14-14.2V while running. Drops down From 12.9 ish to 12.2 ish when you turn the key on before starting.

Also you should do a parasitic draw test to see what is drawing while the vehicle is off. Mine literally draws 0 Amps and I can leave it for a few weeks without starting with no issue.

Hope this helps

Post #216424429th Jul 2020 3:52 am
lynalldiscovery

I still reckon your charging volts are to low.

Post #216425529th Jul 2020 7:24 am
lard

Appreciated, I tend to agree with you about the voltage being too low...

...went ahead and bought a replacement alternator from Bearmach, came with a 2 year warranty and a reasonable price, was worried about an inferior one to the original but shouldn't have worried, it had a refurbished one fitted already Shocked

Thanks for the voltage stats ambrown! that's now exactly what I got with a quick test - 14.2 charging and 12.2 at ignition 1

Going to go take it for a run for an hour, a weak alternator would explain excessive battery consumption and cause of fault/limp mode when they start to deteriorate.....!

Post #216469230th Jul 2020 7:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >