Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Battery died!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
scolliss

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

I had a similar flat battery issue this summer (which I suspected I would get before it happened) when the car was used as my "tent" for two weeks and never moved.

Being prepared I never used the radio etc but noticed that every time I got into it at night the fact of unlocking the car powered up the sat nav screen (Land Rover logo) and the radio facia to display the clock. As soon as I was in the car I would lock the car using the key fob, twice to disable the interior alarm sensor and the interior lights would go out. However the radio facia and satnav would stay on for flipping ages.

After one week I wanted to move the car and the battery was flat as a pancake, miles from anywhere. Had to jump start the car. This was effectively from just locking and unlocking the car several times a day.

Thereafter for the second week I ran the engine for about 30 minutes a day to try and keep some power in the battery. When I went home at the end of the week you should have seen the smoke and poo coming out of the exhaust for the first few minutes. Guess it was objecting to its "start and go nowhere" treatment.
 Life is what you make it.  
Post #20525919th Sep 2007 6:53 am
Libeccio

Germany 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had a flat battery once but the car was more alive than ever Wink The automatic "clicked" along happily (never heard that sound before), all sorts of lamps were going on and off.

As long as the key is in, apparently everything but the engine is running. So with all the computers, pumps, locks, anti-locks etc. 3 hours is what you get from it...

Post #20553119th Sep 2007 7:39 pm
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

Ah-ha! Drove the car for 300km with 12v fridge running off boot power socket. Stood the car for 2 hours, fridge not running but connected. Drove another 50km (about 30 minutes) and left the car standing for 2 hours with key in 'Accessory' position and fridge running. Go to restart the car and.........250km from the closest LR dealer in the interior of Oman and about to go into the sands, the EMS screen went crazy sending all manner of 'I'm expiring!' kind of messages.
Unplugged and switched off everything, but still the 'Save me....save me' messages come up. So, several phone calls later and MHD in Muscat send out a recovery vehicle and technician to return the car to Muscat.
It seems the battery has died on me - temperatures out here take a heavy toll of batteries and tyres - 2 years is the maximum we can expect before they deteriorate.
Ok, seems the fridge may have asked too much of the battery and found it weakening to the extent that it couldn't hold sufficient charge to sustain the fridge running as well as all the other systems referred to in earlier threads.
However, a week ago the fridge ran all night this way and the engine started, no problem. So.....maybe battery condition is the real culprit as opposed to the D3's systems being powered up when the key's in the Accessory position. Thoughts anyone?

Post #21628718th Oct 2007 7:53 am
neo

England 

AFAIK;

I am aware that 10 often charges/tops-up/conditions his main battery using a big heavy duty charger that he has.

Also, you need to have around 1700 revs on in order for the battery to charge rather than just maintain - i.e when winching with and electric winch you will need ITRO of 2000 plus revs to help the battery/electronics.
 The M-Power Express

=~ prorsus per angustias ~= 

Post #21641018th Oct 2007 1:48 pm
Gurvan

Location: Germany... Not far from both the US and Hard German rock...

France 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

My first battery died because of a power drain from a badly installed accessory... Even after driving on an highway for more than 2 hours, it would not charge enough to allow for a restart of the engine. Thus, my battery was replaced, under warranty, by L.R as they were the one who had installed the faulty accessory... Whistle

It seems that when the battery has reached a certain low level, there is now way you can charge it up again... Just be careful when charging them. You might have a wrong feeling of being ready to go when in fact...
 Georgia On My Mind...  
Post #21647618th Oct 2007 6:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

Yup, LR fitted a new battery under warranty and sorted all the EMS errors out of the memory. Methinks the 2nd battery installation planned to go with the winch, has advanced up the list. Rob Hales at MHD in Muscat (really cool, passionate about LRs, Sarf Afreekun) reckons that's the best solution provided an additional power socket is wired up and the original wiring is left untouched and intact. I think the 2nd will have to be a deep cycle battery too.
That leads to another question...............is there any need for an uprated alternator if a split charger is used? Anyone had troubles in that direction?

Post #21659719th Oct 2007 7:22 am
rhffgb

United Kingdom 

Post-sript .........I have a Honda Pan-European bike out here (from UK) that I ride occasionally, but keep connected to an Optimate battery charger. Around 40gbp. Its fantatsic as it deep cycles the battery, trickle charges for the rest of the time, and I'm still on the original battery despite its being stored in a garage int he UK for the best part of a year before being shipped out here.

I reckon if one of those were to be used when/if the car is standing overnight it might prevent the battery condition issues. All you need is a permanently installed fly-lead from the battery to a connector for the charger and its convcenient to plug in whenever you feel the need. Might need a post-it on the wheel to remind me to disconnect before driving off tho.

Post #21659819th Oct 2007 7:28 am
cmyers_uk

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Just joined the battery flat people. I did have the ignition on to power the 12v while I pumped some tyres up. Maybe 45 mins - 1hr. Battery flat. Luckly a Renault Megane got me going again!

Post #21811925th Oct 2007 2:11 pm
ronniehardware

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4
flat battery

Big Cry This prblem started a few month ago. D3 parked for a few ours and battery goes flat. This happens with key removed,vehicle locked, suspension lowered, no lights showing etc, etc. Usually I start with jump leads from my son's car and even (on advice from stealer) bought a smart charger and fully charged the battery to make sure that it was at 100%. It still went flat. Funny thing is that the indicator on the battery is green even though
it wont start the engine. It's Censored annoying. I still suspect suspension pump. This is about the only serious concern I have had with this disco in 2.5 years. Changing it next week so it will probably be someone elses problem soon.

Post #22910628th Nov 2007 11:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wardpg

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Battery replaces

Just got mine back from its 3 year service and MOT, help can't remember when I last had a car MOT,d but thats what retirement does for you. The have replaced the battery due to leaking- just wonder where all the acid has gone to! Will look in morning when its lighter. They found it not me. Also Suspesion compressor has been getting noisy noticed it in mornings when starting-must be faulty as they have ordered new parts.

Post #2310005th Dec 2007 6:43 pm
ronniehardware

Shocked Thanks for battery gen. I have had the battery out of the car recently on two occasions. No sign of leaks
or any other damage. Pump has been noisy for about a year but still doing the business. I thought that's what it sounded like in any case. Off tomorrow to change SY05WZM. Thought I would go for an automatic this time but could be wrong move on my part. SY05Wzm will be missed as it was a good motor with very few niggles and nothing major tp report. The king is dead long live the king,

Post #2310135th Dec 2007 7:06 pm
JMC

Scotland 

ronniehardware wrote:
Thought I would go for an automatic this time but could be wrong move on my part.

You won't regret it Thumbs Up

Where abouts in the Isles are you?? The Sulivan was a regular mode of transport to see family in past years..... Wink
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #2310545th Dec 2007 9:18 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Auto Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #2310595th Dec 2007 9:22 pm
ronniehardware

Thumbs Up
Thanks JMC for your advice on going for auto and also thanks to anyone else's reply.
I am located in Benbecula which is slotted in between North and South Uist in the Hebrides. The Sullivan did not op here as we are served from Uig in Skye or Oban Argyll. Blowing a Censored gale here at the moment.

Post #2310865th Dec 2007 10:33 pm
JMC

Scotland 

ronniehardware wrote:
I am located in Benbecula

I once had a silver Volvo V70 T5 which ended up in Benbecula after I traded it for a V8 Disco ES. The short time with the Volvo was the only time in 10 years that I'd been without a Disco Shocked

Never been to Benbecula, but I keep promising myself that I will do the full 'round trip' one of these days from Oban to Ullapool.

As far as the auto goes, I concerned myself for days about the choice and felt I was too young for such a lazy mans thing. However, the auto suits the D3 perfectly and now I'm so glad I didn't opt for a manual. Thumbs Up

Slàinte
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #2311056th Dec 2007 3:32 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >