Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Battery charging
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Houghta

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Battery charging

I have just bought one of the through tow bar battery charger adaptors from the disco shop and I was wondering if it is worth having a regular battery charging regime to help keep the battery in its best condition and if so how often. I have a ctek MXS7000 charger

My driving consists of a couple of short return journeys a week around 7 mile each way and sometimes a a longer run of maybe 15 mile at the weekend and also every month or so a long run 100 miles plus each way when towing the caravan over the spring to autumn months,

Thanks.

Post #19587621st Jul 2018 8:50 am
Mantz22

Finland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I bought cheap chinese USB-charger for cigarette port with voltage meter in it. From there I can see when the alternator is working and how much.

Typically I see 12.0-12.2v when ignition on, engine off. If while running you would have 12.2-12.5v the battery is about full. When after 12.6v charge voltage you will see slightly increased fuel consumption and 14,4v alternator brake assistance, you have some juice out from the battery.
If you use the battery too much, you will start to see warnings on the dash saying to start the engine. In this case a assume the battery idle voltage is below 12v, but I don't have the exact figure.

So my answer to your question would be that, follow your battery state and use the charger accordingly. I assume that it is cheaper to charge the battery with charger than with engine. At least that is how I do.

PS:I also bought flexible solar panels that I am planning to mount on the hood to give little additional charge.

Post #196634323rd Jul 2018 7:02 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >