A Bar front parking sensors - disable help
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Stu

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
A Bar front parking sensors - disable help

Hi Guys,

Looking for some help.

I've bought an A bar and I am trying to fit it on my HSE, however it gets in the way (doesn't touch) of the middle two parking sensors. I am now looking to disable the middle two parking sensors. I think I've managed to break one of them while unplugging, so moving them onto the A bar is not an option.

I have tried unplugging the middle two but the car just reports a fault with the front parking system. There are three wires to each sensor. I assume (in my little mind) that I should be able to wire these up so that the car thinks the sensors are working but actually the middle two sensors won't do anything, but the outter two will.

Failing that, do you know if it is possible to disable the front parking sensors completely?

Thanks in advance
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #52569626th Sep 2009 4:44 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I did this too Stu, its easy to break the sensor when trying to work out how to remove them. TBH I would just buy another sensor, problem being they are BLACK. So buy some spray paint and the jobs a goodun.

Its ok to disable, and remove, but its a HSE, and kitted for them to be there, remembering now that the A bar protudes another 5inches, and is why its better to refit them Thumbs Up

Put out a SOS on the wanted section, I did and got help in the right colour.

Post #52570826th Sep 2009 5:34 pm
Stu

Glad to know I'm not the only one!

I also found out the the rear parking sensors are also disabled. Which will mean SWMBO won't be able to drive it till I get it sorted.

The only other issue I have is that my A bar is the winch type, so I cannot relocate (or install new ones) to the same location as Mac. Surely there must be a way to just disable the front two middle sensors?
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Expo Rack, Club MTR, LR Spots, A Bar, Light Guards, GNVP Sump Guard, GNVP Ladder, Cup Holders, RLD A Bar brackets. Disco3Club stickers, Aux power on Mod 

Post #52575326th Sep 2009 7:23 pm
bigcarpchaser

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Apparently you can just cover them up Stu. Got to do this with one of my rears as the spare wheel on the back sends them loopy just not for around to it yet. It's just taken me an hour to jet wash all the mud from Abingdon off my car!
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #52576326th Sep 2009 7:35 pm
Stu

Ummm that might have worked had I not mucked up one of the sensors in the first place!

I'm sure I should be able to just disable the middle two by joining the wires together but I am not going to start trying it blindly!

I think I might have to ask Wiggs
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #52576526th Sep 2009 7:40 pm
bigcarpchaser

Wiggs, tfc, bodsy or Slimer will be along soon with the answer no doubt mate.
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #52576726th Sep 2009 7:43 pm
Stu

I do hope so, otherwise I'm going to be getting some grief from Mrs Stu!

The fact that I've spent my weekend either working on a website for some Censored who wants it like yesterday and doesn't want to pay anything for it, or I have been taking "her" car to bits. Why is it always Her car when I want to use it or when she wants to make a point, "I hope you can put my car back together". Yet when it needs washing, or diesel putting in it, it's our car! The only time it's ever my car is when the Tax is due or the police send a notice of intending prosecution! Twisted Evil
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #52576826th Sep 2009 7:49 pm
bigcarpchaser

Will be a good website then mate Thumbs Up
 Welcome "Lola" Smile  
Post #52579326th Sep 2009 9:09 pm
Stu

Off Topic Website is crackin' it's just the bloke who I am doing it for. Obviously I need input from the client, he wants it sorted asap, but definately over the weekend, so I make it clear that I can do this as long as he can give me info when I need it. Then, he goes off radar for the whole day, and then he comes back and wants to change stuff about!

Honestly some people Censored ! Twisted Evil

I wouldn't mind but he's "sort of" a mate so I'm doing it at a stupid silly rate as he's trying to get something off the ground.

Back on topic now!

Anyway, anyone know about my parking sensors, Mrs Stu will be wanting it sorted for Monday!
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #52588727th Sep 2009 12:44 am
Stu

Completely shameless bump - Mrs Stu is complaining that she won't be able to park the car. Also discovered today that the rear parking sensors are also deactivated.

Why are parking sensors some flimsy when they are on a 2.7ton vehicle!
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #52616127th Sep 2009 11:48 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Dunno about which wires to play around with but so it's easy to return to a working state I'd replace the broken sensor then blank the two centre ones off using a bit of blue tack or similar (experiment to find what works for you) and tape over the sensor. You could get the front ones disabled but then the outer ones won't work either. You could probably get the inner ones working if you mounted them at a slight angle a bit further out so they don't 'see' the A-bar
 The End  
Post #52620828th Sep 2009 8:48 am
Stu

I don't really want blutac stuck to the front of the car. The sensors are still visible and are not hidden behind the A bar. If I tried to move them onto the A bar then I would leave holes in the bumper. Not sure about changing the angle and how possible that is and whether that would work.

I think my best option is to disable the two sensors if possible, but if that's not possible, then I think I'll have to get two new sensors, break the other middle one so that the two sensors are left in the bumper so it looks ok, then connect the two new ones up behind the bumper and use bluetac to stop them working.

Can people confirm that blutac works? I would test it myself, but my parking sensors are not working Embarassed

Thanks for the advice so far guys.
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #52623528th Sep 2009 9:41 am
oysbjerk

Norway 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hello there.
I have the same issue. Was going to post a question on this today. My front PDC was disabled by the dealer when they mounted the A-Bar/Winch. I'm now looking for a way to enable the ones in the corners.

Hope someone has some info on this.
Thanks

Post #52654228th Sep 2009 6:53 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I believe you can just cover with electrical tape ...cut a circle the same size as the sensor ..looks better than the blue tak .

You cant disable just a couple of the sensors . You can disable the front or rear though ...but you will need some diagnotic tool .

Wiring wise , browns an blacks are posative and negative .Orange , yellow , green and blue are the signal wires form the 4 sensors (front sensors ) . Maybee ( and i have not tryed this ) you could join the 2 middle sensor wires to the 2 outer sensor wires .

If you managed to pull the sensor apart when you removed it ( little tip ..when releasing the clips on the back , push the sensor from the front , back through the bumper .. they have a tendensy to get stuck in there with mud etc ) then its knackard ..theres a fine wire which joins the 2 halfs together .
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #52662428th Sep 2009 8:49 pm
Stu

Ah Wiggs, I knew you'd give me the low down. I don't have a fine wire, I have two! Ok they might have been one until sunday, but definately two now.

So I think I want two new sensors that I can cover up and leave behind the bumper, I'll leave the existing sensors in place but not connected so that the bumper looks good but only the outter two sensors will do anything.

Anyone know where I can get two sensors from - cheap!

Thanks for the info Wiggs
 D3 HSE MY05 Auto

Post #52669628th Sep 2009 11:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >