Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

BANG and the Engine is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 10 12345678910>
DannyUbertek

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
BANG and the Engine is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well

My little jaunt to Birmingham turned into a knightmare after trundling along around 70 ish Whistle on a downhill stretch just outside Banbury on the M40

BANG a bit of smoke no power..... engine off pulled over smoke from engine bay coming up from below where the AC terminals are, checked underneath some oil evident on the top of the drive shaft and generally around that area.

Let it sleep tried turning it over... starter motor wouldn't budge made awful staining noise, came up with HTC fault (which Geof informed me is descent mode)

Also just had a main dealer 60k service.... any ideas what could cause this... warrenty in place with warrenty direct so we will see there measure soon!!

Dan Big Cry
 Spent tooo much club: Air compresser, parking ecu,D4 front D4 rear, tow bar, D4 arches, stormers 20" with General grabbers, new engine, new turbo, new front lower arms, new rear upper arms, new track rod ends, new anti roll bar bushes, Bas remap 2nd stage, K&N filter, clear indicators, door handle covers, nav update, wheel protector, new winch for spare wheel, 20" stormer spare, new plastic tube on top of engine, new fuel flap assembly, new mats, sill protectors,  
Post #81814417th Jul 2011 11:13 pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

How long ago was your 60k service? How much oil on the driveshaft? Is the oil anywhere else? Was it making any other strange noises before this happened?

Cheers and good luck
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #81816018th Jul 2011 6:04 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Sounds like a major engine failure, perhaps a con rod through the block, how long since the service? Could the filter or sump plug have come a drift?
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #81816918th Jul 2011 7:12 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bp

United Kingdom 

Sad does sound bad Tbh as others said how many miles after the service?
 Don’t worry it is supposed to sound like that...honest  
Post #81817018th Jul 2011 7:13 am
Nixer Fixer

Ireland 2005 LR3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

I wonder was the oil filter put in correctly it only goes in one way if that is not in right it could default ur warranty.
Was it black oil

Post #81818218th Jul 2011 7:57 am
The Transformer

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

How much oil is in the engine still?

Post #81829618th Jul 2011 1:20 pm
DannyUbertek

Car arrived at Landrover Edenbridge who serviced the car last wednesday

I did dip the stick whilst at the side of the road there was oil in it however it was black! so not sure what that means, there didnt seem to be a lot of oil on the bottom tray but some had obviously escaped from somewhere and hit something very hot as it was smoking....

The service guys checked the car and said there is oil in it, and will start looking in to the failiure tomorrow

Id just converted the front end rear end and put the nice big wheels on too.... Big Cry

Big Cry Censored Big Cry

i havent broken down for years since i was a spotty teenager in my 1973 beetle that broke down every time i went out!! not much fun with a pregnant wife and two kids... cost me a Censored fortune hiring a car from birmingham airport staying in a hotel etc nightmare

really Censored off supposed to be a Censored prestige Censored car Censored Censored takes the Censored Censored

Will keep you informed of the nastiness that ensues Big Cry Censored Big Cry
 Spent tooo much club: Air compresser, parking ecu,D4 front D4 rear, tow bar, D4 arches, stormers 20" with General grabbers, new engine, new turbo, new front lower arms, new rear upper arms, new track rod ends, new anti roll bar bushes, Bas remap 2nd stage, K&N filter, clear indicators, door handle covers, nav update, wheel protector, new winch for spare wheel, 20" stormer spare, new plastic tube on top of engine, new fuel flap assembly, new mats, sill protectors,  
Post #81841918th Jul 2011 7:02 pm
bigdave
Site Sponsor 

England 

What a nightmare Danny.

We only just dropped your wheels off too!

Hope it turns out ok

Thumbs Up
 All things shipping, storage, transport. UK and worldwide.

E-mail [email protected] 

Post #81842018th Jul 2011 7:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DannyUbertek

im driving a Censored chevrolet spark!!!! things are looking very bleak at the momment
Post #81842118th Jul 2011 7:08 pm
DannyUbertek

it was the only car my local hire place had as i said bleak.... my wife stalled it 8 times today its a quarter of the size of a d3 and has a smaller boot space than my Censored sock drawer...

Bleak Big Cry
Post #81842418th Jul 2011 7:10 pm
zarnd

If you change the oil in a diesel engine and run it it will be black within a few seconds. I've been going to Edenbridge for over ten years. I've always been looked after and always get great service. I'm very interested in the cause and what they do about it!

cheers and good luck
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #81860419th Jul 2011 8:22 am
DannyUbertek

Thanks Zarnd

I have faith in Adam very nice chap... just wish that pull their little fingers out and take a peek at it been their a day and a half.... cant get money out of A HAMSTER until i know the problemo...

Last edited by DannyUbertek on 24th Aug 2011 12:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #81889119th Jul 2011 10:58 pm
zarnd

I always deal with Adam. Mine is going there today for a service and a couple of other bits to be looked at. Let us know what happens!

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #81894220th Jul 2011 8:40 am
DannyUbertek

Yep the engine has seized @ 62k on a 55 plate they are going to take the sump off to check whats happend Warrenty direct pay £60 per hour Landrover are charging me £99 per hour,

Anyone any idea how long this will take if its the crank or the top?

Dan
Post #81899120th Jul 2011 11:41 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

Second hand engine may be the way to go or a new short block from LR via TLO.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #81899420th Jul 2011 11:43 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 10 12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >