Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

BANG and the Engine is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>
wilcotim1

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,

(Despite being a long time lurker this is my first post)

I can completely sympathise as the same thing has just happened to me. 65,000 mile 55 plate, full service history, just had its last service. I got the engine warning message on start up, it went away, the car seemed normal so I continued my journey. The first hill I got to it went into safe mode. I stopped the car turned the engine off and back on again everything reset and it seemed fine. (I hadn't driven the car for a few weeks so I put this messing about down to a slightly low voltage battery). To cut a long story short a few miles later as I was coming up to a junction (so the engine was idling) it stalled and there was a very definite mechanical breaking noise ! The engine wouldn't turn over.

It was taken to the suppling dealer (Guy Salmon Stockport) as I was aware if I wanted any kind of help from landrover they would have to make the diagnosis. They have ascertained something very bad has happened! I need a new engine and turbo. All the coolant has disappeared into the engine so the assumption is a conrod has broken and gone through the block.

I don't have any kind of warranty so its down to me. Landrover has told me to get lost they don't want to help. The dealer has kindly offered to do the work for £7500 !!! I wasn't expecting a free new engine but at least something !!

Because of this post I got in touch with Dragon engines I am presuming you have been happy with the work they have done? I have been impressed with my dealings so far.

My current plan is to let Dragon engines do the work and keep it for another 60,000 miles to try and rescue some value from the situation. Given this plan, apart from brake lines, is there anything else I should have done whilst the body is off, its an auto.

If anybody has a better plan or has ever got any money from a dealer or landrover under the sale of goods act I would appreciate it. I have had the car from 12 months old.

Cheers

Tim

Post #83362010th Sep 2011 11:21 am
CFB

United Kingdom 

Another failure just after the service???

Pattern emerging here.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #83362110th Sep 2011 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
packingstrips

I know a bit late on in the thread now but just picking up on what the last poster wrote.

Out of these failures that were just serviced......were there any reasons given from reports for the big ends failing?

Were there any signs of oil loss, did the oil pressure warning light come on?

Were there signs of oil in the valley?

There could be a reasonable explanation behind this.

Post #83362510th Sep 2011 11:32 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Tim, Did Guy Salmon Stockport do the service?

Post #83363310th Sep 2011 12:37 pm
wilcotim1

No, its been out of the main dealer network since it came out of warranty. Guy Salmon have done the minimum of investigation to determine that the engine is properly knackered, apparently the oil is "burnt" but there is no swarf in it. I'm not sure how its possible for an engine to destroy itself but not have bits of bearing in the sump.

Post #83364410th Sep 2011 2:17 pm
wilcotim1

I forgot to say there were no signs of impending doom no warning lights temperature normal etc.

Post #83366410th Sep 2011 5:26 pm
DiscoStu

England 

wilcotim1 wrote:
I'm not sure how its possible for an engine to destroy itself but not have bits of bearing in the sump.

Modern engines run very tight tolerances - it doesn't take much wrong to stop them
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #83366610th Sep 2011 5:34 pm
DannyUbertek

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Had the car serviced no noise no problem atall no lights nothing then just a dull thud and loss of power driving up the motorway on a down hill stretch...

55 plate 62000

two reports have been compiled on the engine failiure one buy Censored on behalf of a Wazzacks Erect and one from a bloke called Trever, working on my behalf who is top of his game, also had an oil sample sent to the lab

Oil analysis:

Sample Details Analysis Details
Compartment Lab No Client Ref SMR Hrs/Kms on Oil Eval V40 PQI Co Pb Sn Cu Na K B Fe Cr Al Si Ni Mg Mo Ca P Zn Ba ST OXI NIT SUL F A W FUEL (% wt)
ENGINE (101) 412440925
- 62733 0 B 56.9 12 97 0 5 15 8 1 397 35 1 20 7 2 41 112 2900 766 899 0 46 13 15 0 N N N 0.3
WE NOTE THAT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME WE HAVE SEEN A SAMPLE FOR THIS ENGINE. THE VISCOSITY APPEARS TO BE A LITTLE LOW ALTHOUGH NO FUEL HAS BEEN DETECTED TO ACCOUNT FOR THIS. WE ALSO DO NOT KNOW WHAT OIL IS IN THE ENGINE SO THE VISCOSITY MAY BE CORRECT (5W/30)? MOST CONCERNING ARE THE ALUMINIUM AND TIN. THE COPPER IS ALSO SLIGHTLY HIGHER THAN EXPECTED SUGGESTING POSSIBLE BEARING DISTRESS - WHAT WAS THE MODE OF FAILURE? THE OIL CONDITION ITSELF SEEMS FINE AND DOESN'T SEEM TO HAVE BEEN IN SERVICE FOR VERY LONG. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUERIES OR QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS REPORT, PLEASE CONTACT ME (STEVE) ON
 Spent tooo much club: Air compresser, parking ecu,D4 front D4 rear, tow bar, D4 arches, stormers 20" with General grabbers, new engine, new turbo, new front lower arms, new rear upper arms, new track rod ends, new anti roll bar bushes, Bas remap 2nd stage, K&N filter, clear indicators, door handle covers, nav update, wheel protector, new winch for spare wheel, 20" stormer spare, new plastic tube on top of engine, new fuel flap assembly, new mats, sill protectors,  
Post #83367010th Sep 2011 5:58 pm
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It would be very interesting to know if the guys whos engines have failed have been in their ownership since new ?
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #83370310th Sep 2011 8:02 pm
DannyUbertek

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

2nd owner as of December 2010
 Spent tooo much club: Air compresser, parking ecu,D4 front D4 rear, tow bar, D4 arches, stormers 20" with General grabbers, new engine, new turbo, new front lower arms, new rear upper arms, new track rod ends, new anti roll bar bushes, Bas remap 2nd stage, K&N filter, clear indicators, door handle covers, nav update, wheel protector, new winch for spare wheel, 20" stormer spare, new plastic tube on top of engine, new fuel flap assembly, new mats, sill protectors,  
Post #83371710th Sep 2011 8:40 pm
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I ask this as how many times have heard people say they have wrong fuelled car and driven till stop and instead of flowing LR recommendations to have high pressure fuel system related parts replaced they end up flushing tank, changing fuel filter and punting the car on Confused Neutral

Quite a few me thinks and the who ends up with the problem. Confused Confused Next owner Sad Sad
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #83372910th Sep 2011 9:41 pm
mr.t

United States 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteLR4

There is a service related problem with Subaru Boxer engines where they fail shortly after oil changes.

The only preventative measure being the disconnection of the cam sensor and turning the engine until the oil pressure light goes out.. There is an airlock that starves the engine of oil during first running.

Is there an issue with this engine that's similar???
 LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Alaska White
LR4 HSE 5.0 V8 Nara Bronze (Gone)
D4 Landmark SDV6 Black(Gone)
Velar 240 S Eiger Grey
FLTRXST

Post #83373110th Sep 2011 9:51 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

The Large One wrote:
I ask this as how many times have heard people say they have wrong fuelled car and driven till stop and instead of flowing LR recommendations to have high pressure fuel system related parts replaced they end up flushing tank, changing fuel filter and punting the car on Confused Neutral

Quite a few me thinks and the who ends up with the problem. Confused Confused Next owner Sad Sad

Not a LR, but a Fiat Useless (Ulysse) anecdote - a mate had one* and his wife misfueled it twice within 2 months. Punted it on to a local garage and then saw it again 3 weeks later being hauled on to a low-loader. Might not have been terminal, but not seen since.

*I did tell him not to buy it.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #83373210th Sep 2011 9:54 pm
Dave T

England 

What I don't understand here Nick is why does misfuelling lead to such bad damage, it seems to get the blame for an awful lot, including injector problems Whistle Why would the HP fuel parts need replacing? I'm not saying it doesn't I'm wondering why it does have such a potetialy catestrophic effect???
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #83378811th Sep 2011 8:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
packingstrips

Petrol unlike diesel has very little lubrication proporties....runs through the hpfp and starts to wear the internals....this in turns fills your fuel system with fine metalic particals which make your injectors fail. All it needs is one injector to dribble slightly and goodbye oil quality.

Post #83379011th Sep 2011 8:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 8 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >