DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

On back order - Replacement EGR valves
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
On back order - Replacement EGR valves

Hi All,

Had my first ever warning light on the dash yesterday.
It was the amber 'emissions' lamp so having read previous posts I knew it would most likely be one of the EGR valves sticking.
Called LRA out to re-set it & sure enough, valve 'A' had reported a fault but was now working fine.
SWMBO took it in to the dealer who confirmed this and that they would replace both valves under warranty but that they are on back order.

Are these not normally kept in stock? Is anyone else waiting for replacement EGR valves or does anyone know of supply problems.

Cheers

Post #3981337th Jan 2009 4:55 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Ahem - 7 weeks in a FFRR when mine went. No stock at all despite all possible intervention . . . .
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #3981557th Jan 2009 5:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoDad

Hmmm. Mine are working at the moment so no FFRR for me........yet!

Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #3981597th Jan 2009 5:29 pm
The Large One

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

There does seem to be a slow supply chain on these at the moment but if your dealer orders them correctly....
VOR...Critical Part Upgrade...Then keep emailing them till you get it Laughing then the ones i ordered for a car on Friday will be with me tommorow...
 TLO has left the building.......
I no longer work for a Landrover Dealer

My little chilli sauce business http://www.thechillees.co.uk
if you would like to order anything just give me a shout 

Post #3981737th Jan 2009 5:51 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

pardon my ignorance but could someone explain what exactly EGR valves are, there seems to be a running joke about them on here but feeling left out,,,

thanks

ad

Post #3981747th Jan 2009 5:53 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Because the EGR valves are made by Cadbury's Thumbs Up

Probably the most common fault on D3's Rolling Eyes

Post #3981797th Jan 2009 6:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

ad15 wrote:
pardon my ignorance but could someone explain what exactly EGR valves are,

Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valves basically dump exhaust gases back into the combustion chamber.

Why would anyone want to dump exhaust back into the intake of a perfectly good engine?

Unfortunately, the internal combustion engine is not `perfectly good.' The modern multi-valve, high compression engine can create NOx (Nitrogen Oxides) during the high temperature combustion process. NOx reacts with sunlight to create atmospheric problems such as smog and so comes into the category of 'not a good idea'.

EGR is considered a `metered intake leak' and was developed to reduce the combustion temperatures to below 2,500 degrees, the threshold where NOx is created. Not unlike putting a brick in your lavatory to lower the volume of water used, the EGR valve meters a readily available inert gas (actually exhaust gas which contains a lot of very inert Carbon Dioxide) into the combustion chamber to effectively reduce the volume. Smaller effective displacement means less fire, and less heat and thus lower temperatures, thereby controlling NOx emissions.

Obviously we don't want to `reduce' the volume of the combustion chambers (effectively reduced engine displacement) during hard acceleration, so EGR is turned off when you need full power (WOT (Wide Open throttle) conditions). At idle, the engine is very sensitive to air/fuel mixture ratios and swirl in the combustion chamber, so introducing EGR at idle is not on either. However at cruise the Fuel/Air mixture is set as lean as possible for maximum economy and this in turn generates the highest temperatures, and so the EEC-V uses these conditions to inject exhaust gas into the inlet manifolds to reduce emissions. Older vehicles used vacuum devices to control the EGR valve whereas the Scorpio uses the EEC-V and it's sensors to control it.

If EGR is on during idle, stumble and even stalling will likely result. If EGR is on during hard acceleration, low power (from reduced air/fuel volume) is the result. At part load, lean mixtures for economy create high combustion chamber temperatures and without EGR, these conditions not only create Nox, they also foster pre-ignition and pinking.
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #3981927th Jan 2009 6:27 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

ad15 wrote:
pardon my ignorance but could someone explain what exactly EGR valves are, there seems to be a running joke about them on here but feeling left out,,,

thanks

ad

They are a valve in the exhaust (one for each bank of cylinders), that controls the feeding back of exhaust gas back into the engine. On a good day this reduces emissions (alledgedly) and contributes to the "roundabout turbo lag" syndrome that the TDV6 suffers from. On a bad day it causes huge loss of power and a dealer visit to replace and fix. On an average day they seem to cause loss of mpg some power loss type symptoms.

Blanking them off avoids the downsides and makes the engine livelier out of slow corners. Removing the induction butterfly (that forces the engine to consume almost only its own exhaust), further improves it.

Later engines may turn on a dash warning light, earlier engines seem quite happy blanked.

Further reading: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate...15E_03.pdf
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #3981967th Jan 2009 6:31 pm
ad15

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated, i hate not knowing what everyone's laughing at. Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #3983037th Jan 2009 9:18 pm
garyr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Disco I had both mine done on the 19th December. They got them in pretty quickly with no issues (Stratstone in MIlton Keynes).

Cheers
Gary
 56 Tonga Green HSE.  
Post #3984577th Jan 2009 11:53 pm
DiscoDad

Cheers Gary.
Seems to be behaving itself now so will just await their call.

Post #3986088th Jan 2009 1:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >