Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Back to Black gone white !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JC

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4
Back to Black gone white !

SWMBO has been taking the trusty D3 to the local eastern european hand car wash quite a lot. I now notice the cheap back to black they have been using on the outside trim has started to turn white and grey in horrible stripes.
Anyone any idea how to get the stuff off and turn things back to the original black ???

Post #75070522nd Jan 2011 12:35 pm
jkp

Scotland 

without seeing it and knowing what they actually sprayed on it makes it hard to say what to do.

Most likely the trim was not cleaned properly and they covered the trim with a cheap silicon agent which was not buffed after application leading to the streaking usually after it gets wet in rain.

try a wet paper towel/cloth and buff the trim. Failing that do a search for Black Wow. This will bring back the uniform colour and darkness, but remember to buff it with a lint free cloth a little wile after application.

Post #75070722nd Jan 2011 12:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
nickmak

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

This is a common problem when you bring any car to a hand wash place. The chemicals used are usually as cheap as possible and in bulk. They also contain silicone which gives you that initial shine but does nothing to actually correct the issue with the plastics. I know of a plastic trim restorer that actually properly restores the plastics and rejuvenates them. It's GTechniq C4.

The link is here: http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/exter...-restorer/

I've personally not used this but other people on the detailing forum I'm on have used this to great effect and the results are spectacular and long-lasting. It might seem a bit expensive but you use very little per vehicle anyway.

Hope this helps!

Nick Thumbs Up
 Visit my car detailing blog at http://maksimumdetail.wordpress.com  
Post #75073622nd Jan 2011 1:38 pm
JC

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

Thanks for the advice, I will give it a go as it looks like s**t at the moment !. You are right about the stuff the hand wash boys use, the effect is very short lived and the after effect horrendous !

Post #75073922nd Jan 2011 1:45 pm
nickmak

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

IMHO if you want your car nice and clean you usually have to do it yourself. It's about a 2 hour job on a weekend for me when I had mine. I was a bit OCD with it of course but you should be able to get it sparkling in half the time!

The next best thing to do is to go to a machine car wash at the petrol kiosk or at your supermarket. The worst place to bring your car is to them hand wash places. They might as well rub your car down with sandpaper. Big Cry
 Visit my car detailing blog at http://maksimumdetail.wordpress.com  
Post #75074322nd Jan 2011 2:02 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >