Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

B%*tch Slapped by a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Shackleton

Ireland 
B%*tch Slapped by a D3

I admire the D3 from a distance (only cause the old wallet get's all faint at the prospect) but as per my talk in the tech section I'm getting a salvage D3 for my round the world Range Rover project.

Anyhoo I was headin west last week on the N4 (the Irish guys will know what I'm talking about). I'm driving a 2.6 V6 A6 (say that 3 times fast) and about 2k from the new toll plaza I come up on a tdv6 D3. Now I've been observing D3's every chance I get. Y'know what kind of speeds are owners doing on motorways, ie whats 'comfortable', how loud - or quiet as the case is - are they around town etc, so I edge up on this thing to have a good gawp.

It's all java with back windows and there's a middle aged woman at the helm. She's doing about 80mph and she moves in to the inside to let me pass. I'm too busy drinking in the lines so I kinda cruise past her and then realise I'm kinda making her uneasy so off I go. Moment or two later I hit the toll and rummage around for the change, barrier goes up and off I go - something catches my eye just as I break cover of the booth...

Mrs. D3 has caught up while I'm looking for change and gunned it from the far toll booth! I instantly drop the hammer on the Audi from a rolling start but she's got me goodo and I gotta say I was smiling. The Disco really came off the blocks at a fair lick.

As I said - I admire the D3 from a distance Very Happy Sad
 1973 Range Rover, R1200C, Paul Smith Classic Mini LE  
Post #13925515th Mar 2007 3:42 pm
al cope

England 

which is why I'm always surprised when folks say their D3 is slow. I've always found mine (non modified), to be pretty qucik, scaring most folks that try and take it on, both from a stanstill in the trafficlight GP, or even from near 3 digit mph upwards. A guy in a FFRR V8 on the m40 last week was gunning it all the way back up from banbury, and we were still together at the M42 junc. He was fractionally quicker than me if I stayed in 6th at 75 up, but not if I dropped to 5th first.

Folks say the D3 isnt a racer (so it aint an M3 or Porker), but it aint far of if you want to give it some stick.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #13925915th Mar 2007 3:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Shackleton

Ireland 

"FF" hardly stands for Ferguson Formula???
Post #13926815th Mar 2007 4:09 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I agree with that Al, I was at first worried about my move to a reduced horse power heavier car, and that I'd end up getting into a smash if I got my timings wrong.

In practice, my move from the 250BHP Volvo T5 estate (used for Police pursuits) has gone in speed/acceleration terms mostly un-noticed by me; the main change I do notice is I can no longer spin all the driven wheels, and that slight acceleration no longer stiffens up the suspension.
This is from my standpoint of driving an 07MY Auto.

I did test drive an 06MY Auto and once managed to get a full three seconds of lag at a roundabout. The car moved about 18 inches in that time with the accelerator floored, the power suddenly came in just as a juggernaught finally entered from stage right. Cue aggressive right foot onto the other pedal and lots of honking from behind.

I eventually managed to re-create this on a deserted trading estate by doing a very fast floor-it/release-it/floor-it cycle on the throttle - this occasionaly seemed to confuse the ECU into some sort of paralysis. Slowly flooring the accelerator, once, seemed to almost eliminate the problem, although the 07MY is still IMHO better off the line.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #13927015th Mar 2007 4:13 pm
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have to i say I haven't expwerienced this lag off the line yet in mine (well if it is there it is much less than in my wifes merc).....as you say stapldm a steady shove on the pedal gives decent acceleration and i certainly haven't had any heart stopping moments pulling out yet. Haven't yet driven a 07 MY to compare yet though.

Must be a LR thing, my previous Tdi was much quicker with steady throttle application than burying foot in carpet(yes it did have carpet)....less smoke too Wink
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #13927515th Mar 2007 4:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Shackleton

Ireland 

Something's just dawned on me, and I wish it hadn't to be honest.

As I said she was over at the far end of the plaza - the 'eazypass' end. So I may have had a rolling start but she never stopped... Rolling Eyes

D'oh!
Post #13927615th Mar 2007 4:24 pm
SPOTTER

I never said mine actually accelerated faster than anything else though..... Rolling with laughter
Post #13927915th Mar 2007 4:33 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

SPOTTER wrote:
Must be a LR thing, my previous Tdi was much quicker with steady throttle application than burying foot in carpet(yes it did have carpet)....less smoke too Wink
It's a diesel thing, I've had loads and they're all like it, you can't just floor them like a petrol motor, maybe that's why some people have problems with lag, try with a lighter foot and see if you still get lag The End  
Post #13928915th Mar 2007 5:00 pm
SPOTTER

Actually come to think of it Marine diesels behave in much the same way..........violent throttle application results in a bogged down engine and incredible lag......

...so it must as Slimer says be a diesel thing, strange that electronically controlled diesels behave in the same way as mechanically controlled one sthough, you might think they could get round it.... Rolling Eyes

still, I don't find it a problem you just drive a diesel differently to a petrol. Thumbs Up
Post #13929115th Mar 2007 5:19 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

use the torque... change up early too - no more than 3K revs - to keep in the torque band.

Also generally no need to change down for overtaking like in a petrol. Again using the low end torque not revs for power.

TDV6 is a great engine Thumbs Up

Post #13929315th Mar 2007 5:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >