Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

B and C Pillar Trim Removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4
B and C Pillar Trim Removal

Morning all,

I need to get to the seat belt fixings behind the pillars for the back two row of seats. Am I right in assuming that those lovely bits of white/cream plastic trim on the uprights just need a firm tug inwards to get them to come off? There doesn't appear to be an obvious external fixings.

Thanks in advance.
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #15746469th Dec 2015 7:25 am
tayaste

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If I remember correctly from when I removed mine, the B trim just pulls from the clips but the C trim needs a bolt removing first hidden behind the air bag plastic cover thingy

Post #15747129th Dec 2015 10:03 am
tayaste

Just re-read what your trying to do. Do you mean the C and D pillar? If so C pillar as above, and the D pillar is held on by clips that just need a sharp pull

Post #15747149th Dec 2015 10:05 am
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I've lost myself in pillar lettering Whistle

I'm after removing the seat belts from seat rows 2 and 3 Smile

And thanks you for replying Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #15747299th Dec 2015 10:42 am
tayaste

As above then, C and D pillar Thumbs Up

Post #15747629th Dec 2015 12:05 pm
jimmydunc

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi just reaching out to anyone who has removed C pillar with rear air.Undone torx and now pulling out to undo clips on door side but seems stuck fast rear window side. Don't want to snap it but would love some insight into how to get this off as i am trying to drop headliner to replace complete sunroof mechanism.
 you want to get out - ya talk to me  
Post #21583322nd Jul 2020 10:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jimmydunc

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
headliner removal

In my quest for the unobtainable to find info on removing Top C pillar with rear air, I found the part on Ebay and saw what I needed to see.As I was not wanting to take the whole headliner out to replace my whole sunroof mechanism (which I also purchased on Ebay,from the US) I needed the extra slope with the C pillar removed.As the workshop manual was not rear-air orientated about the pillar, I set about the task at hand and I thought it was my duty to enlighten others who choose to follow.Couple of things before i start, for those of you who have dropped a headliner in a Disco 3 and replaced a sunroof in under 3 hours that's bull###t! Unless you are an octopus or have knowledgable help! Anyways from front to back pretty straight forward except for the infuriating 30 torx screw behind A pillars that were very tight and definitely overkill for hold a plastic piece into place that has an air bag under it.I doubt if the screw would stop the trim from smacking your face or head getting hit by it if an accident deemed it operational! Anyway I stripped one and had to drill, eazy-out and redrill and dremel remnants out of hole,to later re-tap to replace screw.Also the front light cluster had an electrical connection to waterfall lighting LED? which i just popped out of its holder as I couldn't figure out how to disconnect it (It popped back in no worries)Anyway door seals easy to pull out and put back in just make sure you don't jam them when moving doors getting in and out car.Now front of liner dropped pic 1 and as you can see the wires that attached to the visors have been removed from tape that they were fixed to the headliner with and disconnected, the covers of the visor were a pain to get off.You have to be very careful with a fair amount of force to get them to unclip from the four corners where the lugs are (I did leave a few marks on liner but you wont notice when visors are in the up position) Pic 2 is the LED from light cluster. Pic 3 is where visor wire was attached.Pic 4 start of C pillar removal. Door seal out. Pic 5 seatbelt torx50 out.Pic 6 and pic 7,top panel pops off to reveal yet another torx30 plastic cover holder.Pic 8 Pop off this cover to reveal a hidden phillips head screw.Screw this out.With these things out you can now pull on lower plastic cover that is down the side of rear area, and if you don't pull too far it will line up properly when you need to reassemble.Pic 9, Now i popped out vent for better leverage on the top pillar as there are 2 connector clips behind the duct on that side and a sharp tug straight out unclipped these.Pic 10 shows you why you have to pull out bottom trim to release this lug.Pic 11 shows another lug that will thwart the removal.Pic 12 these are the 2 clips that are attached to the duct and trim.Pic 13, shows that you need to pop out the shaped trim to slide seatbelt through to remove C pillar top trim from position. Sounds exhausting but when you know how it's not that hard but better to know what to expect.When pillar was removed there was enough room to access old sunroof with motor and wiring.Which you need to remove with small torx driver to get to bolt under motor that attaches frame to roof.The rear cluster popped out and disconnected easy.Rest is pretty straight forward, undoing 10mm bolts and having 2 people either side to take weight and slide it out front door.I did use hairdryer to warm sunroof drains to slide off as the plastic is quite hard and i wasn't risking tools on tubing.They slid back on easy and I used compressed air to blow through each before replacing back on new unit.Help needed to hold sunroof in place as you re-bolt chassis and re-screw handles back into roof as you work from back of car to front.Job done was dreading this one but quite satisfied now i know how to do it.It would still take more that 3 hours though!Just uploaded pics and they are out of order,sorry about that but they are pretty self explanatory.
 you want to get out - ya talk to me  
Post #21585834th Jul 2020 12:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lightwater

Australia 

I've had the ceiling down in the Freelander, you do need to be an octopus. The manual for my car indicates that it is a two person job. I've had it down twice now & one is a lot quicker second time round!

Added acoustic & thermal insulation. Well worth doing if you have all the panels off.

Visitor - Freelander owner  
Post #21586664th Jul 2020 11:39 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >