Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Automatic Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Automatic Lights

This function seems to have been working ok on my motor until this morning when I came out of a tunnel in to bright daylight and could see from the reflection on the car in front that, even after 5 minutes, the headlights were on.

I understand that the sensor is near to or part of the rain sensor on the inside of the screen by the rear view mirror - my screen is clean.

Any ideas? Question

Post #22726423rd Nov 2007 6:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I had that for the last couple of days and it seemed to have something to do with having the Land Rover button programmed on the key for switching the headlights on. I switched of the engine and turned the follow me home lights off with the Land Rover button on the key, started the engine and it all worked again as normal.

Maybe just luck, but it seemed to work.

Post #22726723rd Nov 2007 6:17 pm
philhunt

Automatic Lights

I haven't (knowingly) programmed anything in to the button on my key but I guess the previous owner may have done at some stage and I may have pressed it unintentionally during the course of yesterday.

I'll swap keys in the morning and see if the problem has gone away

Post #22727423rd Nov 2007 6:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The sensor is only acting on ambient lighting conditions ..it may be that the angle of the sun was higher or lower in the sky or the sunlight was coming in from a different direction. I wouldn't worry too much TBH
Wink
GTR wrote:
The automatic headlamp function is a driver assistance system. The driver can override the system operation by selection of side lamp or headlamp on if the ambient light conditions require front and rear lighting to be active. The automatic headlamp system uses a light sensor and the CJB, which are connected via the LIN bus to control the headlamp functionality.

A light sensor is incorporated in the rain/light sensor located on the inside of the windshield, below the rear view mirror. The wiper system also uses the rain/light sensor for automatic wiper operation.
The light sensor measures the ambient light around the vehicle in a vertical direction and also the angular light level from the front of the vehicle. The rain/light sensor uses vehicle speed signals, wiper switch position and the park position of the front wipers to control the system.

The automatic headlamp operation uses ambient light levels which are monitored by photodiode incorporated in the rain/light sensor. The rain/light sensor sends a lights on/off request to the CJB on the LIN bus, which responds by switching on the low beam headlamps, front side lamps and rear tail lamps.

The automatic headlamps are activated under the following conditions:

Twilight
Darkness
Rain
Snow
Tunnels
Underground or multistoried car parks.
Operation of the automatic headlamps requires the ignition switch to be in position II, the lighting control switch to be in the 'AUTO' position and a lights on request signal from the light sensor.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #22727623rd Nov 2007 6:34 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Personally I think they're a waste of time!
I'd rather be in control and switch them on/off when I want to.
But that's only my opinion.
Rolling Eyes
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #22729023rd Nov 2007 7:49 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

go on Ron! use the magic of opposable thumbs Very Happy Thumbs Up Bow down Bow down

Post #22729123rd Nov 2007 7:57 pm
philhunt

countrywide wrote:
I had that for the last couple of days and it seemed to have something to do with having the Land Rover button programmed on the key for switching the headlights on. I switched of the engine and turned the follow me home lights off with the Land Rover button on the key, started the engine and it all worked again as normal.

Maybe just luck, but it seemed to work.

If it's luck, it also worked for me. Automatic lights fine this morning Thumbs Up Bow down Bow down

Post #22757024th Nov 2007 2:45 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Glad it worked. Wish I could claim it was an expert knowledge of Land Rovers, but to be honest it was just luck that I found it worked.

Post #22761824th Nov 2007 5:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >