Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Autobox Gear Lever pivot - How To
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 18 <123 4 ... 161718>
SimonC

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Brilliant thanks Bodsy. Summer holiday money was going on a new gearbox!!

Post #60870923rd Feb 2010 3:34 pm
Stix

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Oh boy... Have I had fun with this little problem in the last few days.... Basically I have been drivin about holding the selector in D to maintain drive.... Censored Censored

Anyway, rang the Stealer today (Hunter's Derby), got my venerable MY8.5 HSE with 24kmiles in at 1330 and was out again at 1530 with it all fixed, lube'd up and working nicely. Importantly, NO CHARGE / WARRENTY REPAIR!!!!

Hunters informed me they knew all about this problem, had seen it many times before and expected to see it many times again!
 Powered by............................TORQ-TUNE  
Post #6126241st Mar 2010 8:31 pm
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

I've got a 2009 D3 on my ramp with one of these to do in the morning that LR Assistance diagnosed as a possible faulty accelerator pedal!

Post #6132582nd Mar 2010 7:55 pm
pilotjeremy

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Autobox Gear Lever pivot

Hi A quick note of my recent experience with my LHD Disco3 HSE in Mallorca. My local mechanic took it to Land Rover on the island who after charging 500euros for diagnostic cheque, gearbox flush and filters, said that the clutches had gone in the gearbox and it was almost 5000euros to change the box. I downloaded Mikey's Pivot fix and emailed it to my mechanic who then showed it to Land Rover who dismissed it completely and said that they could not supply the part in any event. I purchased the pivot, a lever and just to be sure a replacement cable. Total cost including VAT £35.00 from my Local LR Dealer in the UK and took them out to my mechanic. New cable was a bit fiddly as he had to remove the selector lever from above, so took about three hours total for a first go. The Disco now runs perfectly. We took the old parts to LR Mallorca showing them the parts we replaced and allowed them to check that we had replaced them on my Disco!! So far they are not budging and Land Rover UK are passing the buck to LR Madrid as the originally UK registered Disco is on Spanish Plates now.
I know that things out there are tough right now, but I would imagine that a huge number of trusting customers would have had their gearbox replaced at huge expense instead of replacing these relatively inexpensive parts, which according to our Local Dealer are constantly in demand! Thanks Mikey for the info and email me your address and tipple so that I can show my appreciation.

Jeremy

Post #6141893rd Mar 2010 10:31 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

5000 Euros for a new box? Shocked

Ah well, cheap fix in the end eh? Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #6147124th Mar 2010 7:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Technical Bear

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks Disco_Mikey for the excellent post about this problem. I had the odd problem engaging drive a couple of weeks ago, but yesterday after not using the car for over a week due to being away, it really was a problem. I managed to do my journey but sport mode/ command shift was not working and it was hard to get in drive. A few minutes searching on here revealed your post and an hour or so this morning sorted the problem. I can't believe how different the gear selector feels now, so smooth and easy. It also makes a nice friendly clunk when you put it in drive. I suspect that is the early warning, if you don't get the clunk get the pivot fixed.

I don't understand why you say to throw away the lever. Mine seemed fine, it was the bush that had rusted exactly like your picture. Is it that the plastic insert that holds moisture and causes the rust? Mine was black plastic, not white like the picture. What is the modified one like? Any idea what the part number is for the metal bush?

Once again many thanks, Disco3 solves another problem. Very Happy

Post #61834510th Mar 2010 8:19 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The parts numbers for the various parts are as follows:
LR012704 Lever
TZT500040 Bush
TYG000050 Bolt
WYH000040 Flanged Nut
TYF000060 Spring Washer

Post #6695097th Jul 2010 8:31 pm
JDB

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks Disco_Mikey - excellent article - just done mine with your guidance.

Post #6808498th Aug 2010 3:31 pm
ben5575

2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Many thanks for this post Disco_Mikey. Just finished mine in a little over an hour having been stranded at the supermarket, sorry I meant in Tunisia, unable to select drive Thumbs Up

The hardest part was identifying the gearbox undertray, which pretty much sums up the extent of my technical expertise! Still, if I can do it, anybody can Laughing

Ben

Post #6811729th Aug 2010 6:32 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

ben5575 wrote:
Many thanks for this post Disco_Mikey. Just finished mine in a little over an hour having been stranded at the supermarket, sorry I meant in Tunisia, unable to select drive Thumbs Up

Surprised you took tools with you to the Supermarket, I mean Tunisia Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #6811839th Aug 2010 6:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
crazy

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Help me, please.

Can this also be a solution my problem?
My D3 is jammed in P, on the display there is one E and they flow errors type change breakdown, brake breakdown, HDC not avayable. The auto doesn't depart and I has found the fuse of 10 Ah of the electronic control module burnt. Some idea?
Thanks in advance.
Hi
p.s. : sorry for my english language Embarassed
 Landy lover
Membro del Club 

Post #68356818th Aug 2010 6:58 am
Lee Robinson

United Kingdom 
Gear Selector Stiffness & jumping out of D

Thanks for this. Recently bought a LR3 HSE and left it parked for a couple of months while I was working away. Noticed this stiffness when I returned and now know how to fix it. Brilliant!!

LR

Post #68366018th Aug 2010 12:18 pm
jaunty6

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

What an excellent Forum! Thumbs Up You (all) have done it again! Very Happy

My problem was that after 3 weeks of not using the Disco the gear lever felt stiff and reluctant in selecting D, and the upward gear changes were often hesitant, in that the revs would rise but no drive be transmitted and then drive would engage with a bit of a clonk.

My Search facility on the Forum was temporarily not working, but PaulP sent me the link to this topic.
25 minutes saw the problem sorted.

I raised the suspension to give more space underneath (I am not as agile as I used to be) left the doors open and put an axle stand underneath, went under and removed the gearbox undertray.

The car has never been used seriously off road or for wading, so it all looked pretty good under there, but the link was looking dry and rusty. A good spray with WD40, then a later spray with spray grease seems to have done the job. I don't think it was seized but it was getting stiff when not used (I know that feeling from somewhere ....).

Definitely a job to add to that list of "do it every year or two whether it needs it or not" jobs.

Spray grease is good stuf; it is almost as thin as WD40 when sprayed and it creeps everywhere, then it congeals as a grease.

Thanks all round, JT

Post #69416618th Sep 2010 10:33 am
discoboy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My auto was beginning to slip the gears when pulling away at odd moments, lo and behold the answer is in this thread, used 3-in-1 oil to coat the linkage mechanism and then sprayed with ACF50. I note that the panel that covers this area is similar to the compressor covers in that they have sponge material on the inside meaning that water and crud collects causing a permanently humid atmosphere thereby encouraging removal of lubrication and corrosion!

Post #7005656th Oct 2010 4:45 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

discoboy wrote:
My auto was beginning to slip the gears when pulling away at odd moments

When you say that it was slipping the gears can you elaborate or describe the symptoms a bit more please?

Did it feel like it was dropping into Neutral (i.e. revs shoot up very quickly and no noticeable forward acceleration), or did it feel like clutch slip in a manual box where the revs rise up (albeit not as quickly as if it were in neutral) and it still accelerates (although not very strongly)?

Did you ever get any messages or lights on the dash?

Cheers,
Paul
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #7008327th Oct 2010 8:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 18 <123 4 ... 161718>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >