Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Auto Transmission Fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Auto Transmission Fault

I got into the car at work during the week and as I put the car into drive a message popped up "auto transmission fault". Nothing else apart from a "bong", a second or so later it disappeared (I didn't turn the car off and on again either).The car was fine and I haven't had it since.

Is this just a random warning due to some sensor picking something up. I have probably driven 100 miles since and no more warnings.

Post #22762024th Nov 2007 5:50 pm
DiscoStu

England 

At this time of year low battery voltage throws up a lot of faults - especially 1st thing in the morning if it's cold
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #22762224th Nov 2007 5:51 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

DiscoStu wrote:
At this time of year low battery voltage throws up a lot of faults - especially 1st thing in the morning if it's cold

Thanks for the tip. It was -3 when it happened and the car had been sat at work all day. I also had the lights, heated seats, heated screen front & rear on and the FBH was in the middle of firing up so the battery was under a lot of load.

Post #22762424th Nov 2007 5:54 pm
DiscoStu

England 

I get it on mine (a manual) after driving short journeys in cold weather. 'Transmission fault - Traction Reduced' or similar.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #22762624th Nov 2007 5:57 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Yeah, that's the first low battery warning.

the next one is 'HDC unavailable'.

I've never actually seen the 'low battery' warning come up though.
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #22817326th Nov 2007 12:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It takes about 7 - 9 miles of driving ( i.e. engine revs above 1500rpm) to put back the charge taken out by starting the vehicle, obviously lots of short journeys will have a cumulative discharge effect on the battery, once a lead-calcium battery (as fitted on the Disco3) is below 60~70% charge, only a proper bench charger will recover the battery efficiently

Post #22817426th Nov 2007 1:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardK

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

When I had the problem with the loose earth connection and the battery was constantly low I would get a "Low Battery Voltage" message on the radio screen, haven't had it since the earth was fixed

Post #22817526th Nov 2007 1:06 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:
It takes about 7 - 9 miles of driving ( i.e. engine revs above 1500rpm)

Ian, is that true for the Petrol? I sometimes wonder if mine gets much of a charge on the two-and-from work journey.

10forcash wrote:
once a lead-calcium battery (as fitted on the Disco3) is below 60~70% charge, only a proper bench charger will recover the battery efficiently

Isnt that just a bit silly in a car then, especially in a power hungry mota like the D3 where there's plenty electrical going on.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #22817726th Nov 2007 1:11 pm
countrywide

Mossy wrote:
10forcash wrote:
It takes about 7 - 9 miles of driving ( i.e. engine revs above 1500rpm)

Ian, is that true for the Petrol? I sometimes wonder if mine gets much of a charge on the two-and-from work journey.

10forcash wrote:
once a lead-calcium battery (as fitted on the Disco3) is below 60~70% charge, only a proper bench charger will recover the battery efficiently

Isnt that just a bit silly in a car then, especially in a power hungry mota like the D3 where there's plenty electrical going on.

You can get different batteries, which can accept a higher discharge, but they cost more. We had leisure batteries on our boat which you could discharge further. I tried a car battery and killed it by discharging it too much running cabin lights etc. I think the OPTIMA batteries are meant to be good.

Post #22818626th Nov 2007 1:22 pm
10forcash

Mossy, yes it's broadly the same - although the petrol has a lower compression ratio and therefore less EMF is required to turn the engine,the alternator is 'only' an 80A output whereas the diesel has a 150A unit. once the vehicle is running, all the systems draw current from the alternator so provided it's not left at idle with heated-everything, lights, etc. for a long time (maximum alternator output is only avaiable above 1500rpm) thn there should be no detremental effect upon the battery. The CJB and ATCU have software strategies to minimise current draw whilst the vehicle is not running or bus voltage is dropping, the only problem is that these can be overidden by human intervention Rolling Eyes
I can only assume that lead-calcium batteries were chosen for their low-temperature performance, the stupid battery terminal clamps don't help either Evil or Very Mad

Counrtywide - Yep, Optma's are compatible with the D3 and the only one's I fit

Post #22819326th Nov 2007 1:35 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Cheers Thumbs Up

10forcash wrote:
the only problem is that these can be overidden by human intervention Rolling Eyes

Yes, I discovered this once all by myself Whistle
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #22819426th Nov 2007 1:38 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 

Is "Low Power Mode" flashing up on the stereo panel when turning the engine off an indication of battery state/problems or something else or (sounding hopeful), nothing?? Confused
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #22820326th Nov 2007 2:15 pm
10forcash

Low power mode is simply the audio system recognising that the engine isn't running and conserving battery power by limiting the maximum output, dependent upon the state of battery charge (and audio volume), you may see this as soon as the engine is turned off or at some point later. The centre cool box has a similar power save strategy

Post #22822026th Nov 2007 2:49 pm
10forcash

Twice... Rolling Eyes

Post #22822126th Nov 2007 2:50 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Iain, are you saying you are replacing the vehicle battery with an Optima, or just using them for Aux battery installs?

I'm thinking of the next couple of years when the early D3's start failing their batteries out of warranty, and replacements need to be sought, not necessarilly from Land Rover who will probably charge a kings ransom for a new 'Genuine Parts' battery.

Post #22827226th Nov 2007 5:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >