Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Auto Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
APG

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Auto Lights

One feature I would like are the auto headlights.

Do any of you know whether it is possible to retro fit the auto lights on a 2005 TDV6 S...?

Given the vast wealth of info on here I am sure someone must have tried it.

Just about to add some fog lamps so may as well do them both at once if possible.

Thanks all,
 Allan  
Post #36360823rd Oct 2008 12:13 am
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Spooky - I was just about to post the same thing!

I have the switch with the auto setting, as I am also just about to do the foglamp upgrade, as well as headlamp wash and front pdc sensors courtesy of a new bumper from Slimer.
A list of parts reqd. would be useful

Cheers

Darrin
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #36361223rd Oct 2008 12:22 am
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Auto headlights can be a pain - slow to come on in a tunnel, perhaps, but mostly coming on as you approach a junction and the Astra/BMW on the left pulls out because you flashed him Shocked

I have it and don't use it.

I have the foglights, which are useful about one day per year, in fog, but not for much else. Evil or Very Mad

A
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #36361523rd Oct 2008 12:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renny

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

Why do you wan auto headlamps? Is it too much trouble to turn the switch Smile ?

I've never used them bacause I tend to switch the lights on earlier than the auto setting. The only time they came on was when I was in a multi-storey and I'd alread switched sides on. I tend to switch headlamps on if there is enough rain to have the wipers on constant (mind you I do use auto-wipers Laughing ), or if the light drops. With a light or silver car I use the lights more than with a bright/strong coloured car.
 Renny Thomson
aka Scottish Scrutineer or MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer 

Post #36365423rd Oct 2008 8:33 am
NHR

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I never use them either. We have to have headlights on all the time here anyway so I do have the feature enabled which causes them to come on when I turn on the ignition.

Post #36365823rd Oct 2008 8:39 am
catweasel

Renny wrote:
Why do you wan auto headlamps? Is it too much trouble to turn the switch Smile ?
yes you can do things manually like the wipers and lights but why even ask this question, why should you have to do it manually. if you had an auto gearbox and had to change it manually would you accept that ? you pay for something and no matter how trivial it is you expect it to work. so why the f##k dont they and why cant people express their dissappointment either.  
Post #36366123rd Oct 2008 8:48 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

CW's had a bad day... Laughing

I use the Auto headlights all the time. The reason........? Because I can!

Occassionally they don't come on when you think you coiuld do with them, around dusk but I've found them quick to react when entering a tunnel, no problems.
Thumbs Up

Not sure if they can be retro fitted as you need the sensors (they MAY) already be there if you are lucky!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #36366623rd Oct 2008 8:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

no not had a bad day, just posting an observation. people are getting knocked more and more for wanting something to work and why shouldnt they. mine work fine (lights) and recently in the UK the hire cars I had did not have any issues with these tasks so why on such an expensive vehicle cant they get it to do as it says on the tin.

Post #36367423rd Oct 2008 9:18 am
NHR

Of course, if it's there it should work correctly. There is no excuse for dodgy kit in such an expensive car. For example, I don't think my FBH has ever worked - something to check at the fitrst service in a couple of months time.

Post #36368023rd Oct 2008 9:30 am
darrind

Big issue for me is that I have other cars where the headlamps come on when the car fires up, or come on automatically when it gets dim, as I have the setting on the switch, i am wondering what else needs to be put in or enabled to allow the lights to work automatically.

Also when SWMBO or other people use the car at night and turn the headlight dial all the way round - as it has Auto as the last position they could turn the lights on and then off again.

The auto on/off function isnt that important its' more a safety issue.

If the auto function is so crap I would be quite happy for the lights to come on when the ignition was live, and turn off when powered down - without the annoying bongs.

Any (constructive) info would be appreciated
Post #36368723rd Oct 2008 9:48 am
BORDER ROVER

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have the auto lights but don't use them as i found when i had my first D3 that they didn't come on quick enough when entering tunnels or when it appeared that the light levels outside seemed dark enough, probably the light setting on the sensor. However if all the bits are in place i would say it must be possible to get them retrofitted. The many years in my job, i always put my headlights on as soon as i am out in the car. Sunk into me at an early age for road safety.
 POT NOODLE NAVIGATION CHALLENGE 2010 WINNER
Club Sankey
Club pie and peas 

Post #36368923rd Oct 2008 9:53 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Darrind, Why didn't you just buy a fully set up HSE of the G4 variety in the first place Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing Wink
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #36369123rd Oct 2008 9:54 am
darrind

Hindsight is a wonderful thing Bodsy.

However I do still need to know whether the lights can be made to come on when the headlamp switch is positioned in the Auto position - I aint fussed wether they come on only when the ambient light dims, or stay on all the time. its a bit of a worry that there is a position on the light switch that would appear to allow the lights to work, but doesn't in reality.
Post #36369423rd Oct 2008 10:02 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

The activation is by the light sensor both on the dash and (ISTR) on the centre speaker in the middle of the dash.

There MAY be a way to enable 'daytime driving lights' by your dealer (or perhaps TFC?) as it's a legal requirement in some countries.

IF you have all the connectors in the right place, & it doesn't require a 'software' update then I can't think why it won't work.

I seem to have missed it, but do you ALREADY have the Auto setting on your light switch? & was it an update you did yourself or came like it from the dealer when you bought it? (if you got it from a LR dealer then I'd go back & tell them it doesn't work)
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #36370423rd Oct 2008 10:21 am
NHR

Daytime drving lights certainly may be enabled by the dealer - it's in the user manual. I only need to turn my lights on by the switch once it's too dark to read the instrument panel.

Post #36370923rd Oct 2008 10:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >