Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Auto gearbox leaking fluid from the filter?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
cleppard

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3
Auto gearbox leaking fluid from the filter?

Has anybody experienced this before? The fluid was changed by the dealer just before the summer , it's only a small amount coming out and I only noticed when under the car today as it has never dripped onto the garage floor.

Click image to enlarge

Let me know what you think.

Chris

Post #71527312th Nov 2010 2:44 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Did they use a new filter pan & gasket? Have they tighetned the bolts to teh right Torque...?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #71532712th Nov 2010 10:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ianrichardson

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

The filter and pan are one item and made of plastic. It looks like they haven't renewed the pan/filter as it's pretty dirty! The plug is also plastic and is a click click do up and undo. By that I mean that you don't tighten it too tight as it can't undo as it 'locks' on each click. Also there is an 'O' ring on that plastic bolt which is a bit flaky to say the least. Put simply I don't think you can rely on the plug being oil tight after undoing it a couple of times.
Your trouble is that to renew it you waste all that expensive oil just put in!
As the garage that did the job for you is at fault, then maybe they should pay for the new oil!
My advice is to renew the pan/filter (£70) so you get a new gasket, which is a strip set into the pan base, and the drain plug is new and untouched!
Good luck!

Ian

Post #71538812th Nov 2010 2:32 pm
cleppard

They didn't change the filter when they changed the gearbox oil. It's going in on Monday so hopefully it will be any easy fix.

Post #71544912th Nov 2010 4:29 pm
ianrichardson

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Cleppard

I was told by the man at ZF that the filter doesn't really need to be changed as it is the oil that looses its oillyness and not nasty particles of gearbox gears going wrong!
The most common cause for modern autoboxes to malfunction is the oil absorbing water and loosing it's efficiency. So a double or magaflush is all that is necessary.
My view is that for £70 I'd like a nice clean filter, after all the oil costs nearly 4 x that amount! The pan/filter comes complete with gasket and the only aquard bit in remeoving the old and replacing is that the engine mounting on one side has to be undone to allow the engine and gearbox to be lifted slightly so the plastic tube sticking up from the pan and locates in the gearbox can come out, and the new one go back in cleanly.
It goes without saying that the bottom of the gearbox needs to be VERY clean so that NO dirt gets into the opened gearbox.
I'm sure you trust your garage to be as clean just like a NHS operating theatre!

Ian

Post #71549812th Nov 2010 6:52 pm
cleppard

So the dealer confirmed at a cost of 30 minutes labour that it was leaking.........I could have sworn I told them that is was when I dropped it off.

New pan filter on order to rectify, my concern though is how much has leaked as there is no dip stick its hard to tell. The only positive sign is that I have never seen a drop on the garage floor so it can not be leaking that bad or its completely empty now, which Im sure I would have felt and or heard the grinding.

Post #71684216th Nov 2010 7:13 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It fills to the top of the filler hole. But needs to be at the right temp as well.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #71710217th Nov 2010 3:19 am
Rocket Mk2

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Have you fixed this?

Check the electrical connector on the back of the box. Mine has the same leak and initially it looks like the sump but it not.

From looking at these pics it looks to me like there is clean oil coming from further up than the pan...
 D3 HSE TDV6 '06  
Post #73626323rd Dec 2010 2:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >