DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Auto gear box sticking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Start with brake light switch and/or bulbs Thumbs Up

Just out of interest, can you explain the connection? Mine started doing this yesterday and I've discovered that I have a blown brake light, but I'm struggling to understand the relationship Confused
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #125902726th Mar 2014 10:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
eduardobr

Brazil 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Auto gear box sticking

I have the same problem with my D3 . As it has been resolved ?

Post #170505813th Sep 2016 3:16 am
overmuchogrande

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

I have the exact same problem and it is really annoying.

I have made sure all the tyre pressures are equal (all set to 38psi), changed the brake switch for a new one from Rimmer Bros, all the bulbs are working in all scenarios (with headlights on and off, sidelights on and off, indicators on and off, fog lights on and off etc).

Went to the local park last night to walk the dog, its about a 2 mile journey) and when braking for a mini roundabout from 25 mph, the gearbox dropped to second and it seems to stay in second. Set off from the roundabout and it feels like it is in Sand mode, instant acceleration and changes between 2nd and 3rd constantly.

I tried putting it into command shift and it still jumps between gears.

Getting really frustrated with this now and worse SWMBO is starting to complain. Is there anyway to reset the autobox without having to plug it into a diagnostic machine (I don't have one).

Would a Hard Reset make any difference?

Post #170621315th Sep 2016 11:16 am
nhumby

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Disco_Mikey wrote:
Start with brake light switch and/or bulbs Thumbs Up

Just out of interest, can you explain the connection? Mine started doing this yesterday and I've discovered that I have a blown brake light, but I'm struggling to understand the relationship Confused

I had a very similar issue. The auto box was stuck in first gear. Was fine in command shift mode though.

Turned out that I had a leak in my rear light lense letting in water. Over time so much water got in there and shorted across the brake circuit. As the car is sooooooooooo clever, it thought I was trying to brake all the time and hence would not change up through the gears. Why would you want to do that if you are braking (supposedly).????? This is what LR told me anyway when I parted with a lot of dollar for them to investigate it.

I imagine a similar problem may occur when a brake light blows, although that would be an open circuit rather than a short circuit.
 Discovery 3, 2006, HSE, 2.7 TDV6, Java Black, EGR Blanked, New belts + tensioners. Autobox flushed +new filter.  
Post #170632515th Sep 2016 3:24 pm
eduardobr

Gentlemen, finally managed to solve the problem. In my case , I was with a 255/50 tire in the middle of other 3 tires 255/55 . When I changed the plugs from the tray, had to align , balancer and make camber , the mechanic did rotation of the tire, the 255/50 playing forward, where the ABS speed sensor is more sensitive . Then a wheel spinning faster than the other , marrying a mess in the transmission and every car .

Post #170860720th Sep 2016 12:52 pm
eduardobr

My D3 is now great !

Post #170861220th Sep 2016 12:55 pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

overmuchogrande wrote:

Getting really frustrated with this now and worse SWMBO is starting to complain. Is there anyway to reset the autobox without having to plug it into a diagnostic machine (I don't have one).

Where in Lancashire are you, I am between Leyland and Chorley and would be happy to put my iid bt diagnostic tool on your car and see if there are any codes or live values that may shed some light on your problem. I can only read not write or reset as my tool is locked to my vin number but it might help. I can do some weekdays and evenings but not this weekend as my lad starts Uni, so I will be ferrying him down to Nottingham.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #170885420th Sep 2016 11:05 pm
overmuchogrande

@MGCarr Thanks for the offer, its very kind of you. I am in Leyland so not too far away!

It played up again last night and I noticed, rather weirdly, that the temperature gauge on the dashboard went below the blue line, almost as if it was cold but I know the engine was warm as this happened after about 5 miles worth or driving.
After another mile or so, the temp gauge came back on and was reading normal and the gearbox was ok again.
To me that sounds like there is an electrical problem somewhere (temp sender or thermostat) so I will replace those first and see how it goes.

If I am still having issues after that, I will drop you a line. I can't do this weekend either as I have things to do as well!

Post #170897421st Sep 2016 11:02 am
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Not far away at all, I believe there is something in the gearbox programming to hold on to the lower gears when the engine is cold to help it warm up quicker so you might well be on the right track with a faulty temperature signal. Thumbs Up

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #170902121st Sep 2016 1:38 pm
overmuchogrande

Changed the ECT and all was well for a couple of days, then the damn thing started playing up again, same thing, temperature went below the blue and gears started selecting oddly, then when in neutral, the engine was reving itself between 900 and 2500 revs every 2 or 3 seconds.

Did some more digging on this site and decided to replace the oil temperature sensor as well so have done that this morning so now to see how it goes now for a few days.

Fingers crossed it will have fixed it as I am getting really annoyed with the D3 now.

Post #17137571st Oct 2016 1:46 pm
RickoD3HSE

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
Re: Auto gear box sticking

Redgull wrote:
Hi
Can anyone help please ?

My Disco 3 auto gearbox is sticking intermittently, when it does happen it is mainly in 1st and 2nd gears, on acceleration after slowing for traffic lights, roundabout etc.
To begin with it would go up to 4000 revs before changing, I took it to my local mechanic, who plugged it in for an upgrade (it needed two), at first it seemed ok, but tonight it was sticking again but this time not changing until 4000-5000 revs.

Has anybody got any ideas as to what the problem is ?

Fingers crossed that its something simple ( and cheap !!). Question

hi did you ever get to the bottom of this as ours has started doing this but only when its been on a good run & everything has properly warmed .
tia

Post #19419162nd May 2018 10:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >