Auto box surging
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
longmoreuk

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Auto box surging

Hi All,

Go easy, just got my Disco 3 2.7 auto.

Now I am getting used to it, I have noticed a fair bit of transmission noise, especially when I accelerate from an island but also now noticed that the engine surges by say 250 rpm when in auto, in command shift or in cruise control - particularly on an incline or when the car is cold. I originally thought this was an engine issue but i am now convinced it is an auto box issue and hoping it isn't major.

I have read through the various posts about ATF oil flush etc as that seems to help some people. Trouble is the D3 has done nearly 180k miles so it might be a more material issue than just the oil.

Q - Is there a down side to starting by wasting money on a few tubes of Dr Tranny and putting that in the gearbox? I don't want to make things worse.

Post #229585215th Jun 2022 2:13 pm
LittleG

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

From your description and mileage I’d say almost certainly the torque converter.
At that mileage the box will probably need an overhaul and replacement converter.
Neil Smith in Cannock replaced my torque converter last year (19k miles).
Great service from Neil, worth a call or visit. 👍🏻

Post #229587515th Jun 2022 5:01 pm
Lee Trinder

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Mine was the same as yours, I just did a quick oil change and added a tube of dr tranny, that was about 20000 miles ago and all is good. A couple of weeks ago I changed the oil again without adding any more dr tranny and it’s still fine.
Well worth it I think if you can do it yourself and it won’t cost much.

Post #229587615th Jun 2022 5:17 pm
longmoreuk

Thanks. I think it is worth having a go at changing the oil based on the reply before I start looking at bigger work!

Fingers crossed the change helps, it’s not as if it’s not driveable but the judder/surge is frustrating.

Post #229589115th Jun 2022 7:18 pm
longmoreuk

So I completed an oil change. I used the filo method to empty oil from the hose to the oil cooler. I then drained from the sump plug. I got out approx 5 litres in total, added 5 litres, then drained from the hose again and got out another 3 litres.

Added the same amount back in through the oil cooler using a new garden pump sprayer and diluted in 2 sachets of dr tranny for good measure. Put it all back together, drove it up and down the street, put it on flat(ish) part of my drive and opened the fill plug (with engine running) and approx half a litre overfilled. Tightened up the plug.

I then took it for a 10 mile drive to see whether it was worth the hassle. It has transformed it, changes are spot on, no more surging and smooth out of corners, no more judder. 2 things I have taken from this.
1. Oil change and dr tranny were worth it but not sure how long it will last.
2. I now know the torque converter is going to need changing some day but I will only do about 3k a year so not worried as it isn’t my daily driver.

I can however nurse it along now with more frequent transmission oil changes.

Note it all sounds fine above, I did have some stresses, couldn’t remove the transmission cover for a start, everything rusted up and sheared off two of the retaining bolts! I then decided to see how the fill plug was - tight as hell, which when I got loose I undid and had oil all over the drive! I also didn’t expect the oil to get ejected from the cooler hose so quickly when the engine was started so another patch of oil on the drive. All in all, it will be a doddle next time!

Post #229668221st Jun 2022 11:12 pm
Lee Trinder

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Glad it worked for you, at least you can get a few more miles out it.

Post #229670322nd Jun 2022 5:27 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >