Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Arcing (electric) on start-up
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
JMC

Scotland 
Arcing (electric) on start-up

Before we start (for the benefit of readers rather than owners Rolling Eyes ), this is not a moan about a fault that has left me high and dry on the worst day of my life. Shocked

This is a question about something which has occurred on less than a dozen occasions, in a year of utter enjoyment of owning a D3.......

First thing in the morning,.... ignition on,...... boing,....... turn engine over,...... and just as the car starts there is what can only be described as a loud 'crack' - similar to electrical arcing, from the passenger footwell / glovebox area. This is usually accompanied by the sat-nav screen going blank and then re-starting itself. First time this happened, I actually thought the sat-nav had blown-up due to the time-lag in the screen reset.

Also, I have had a number of occasions where I have lost all my nav settings and the system has jumped to France or Belgium as its default location - only noticed when trying to input a post code destination.

Anyone else noticed either of the above, or is it just me Big Cry

Post #13949916th Mar 2007 7:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have been sent to another country before now, and put it down to my kids playing around.

The loud crack you hear I can't relate to. There is always a loud click from the outside of the vehicle just after starting, which I am led to believe is the exhaust gas recirc valves.

Post #13950916th Mar 2007 9:44 am
GDL

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

this sounds like a bad connection. i have just had a look on mine and if you remove the bonnet pull, its a small torx bit t15 and pull off the lower 'a' post trim(held on by 2 clips) you will find 5 separate earth connections its more likely to be these than the junctions so check they should not be loose and you should not be able to move them good look alternativly take it to local stealer its sure to be warranty but wheres the fun in that?

Post #13953616th Mar 2007 11:08 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

JMC, also don't exclude the actual SatNav DVD unit connections under the passenger seat as the source of the noise - you may be hearing the noise bouncing off the windscreen/dash. I've been tricked into searching entirely the wrong places by such echos before.

Free-thinking rather than based on any knowledge or experience whatsoever:
Could it be the harness to the DVD unit worn/trapped by the movement of the passenger seat?
Or just plain not seated correctly?
Or has some muppet mechanic tidied up the harness by using a wire-tie to hold the (fixed) harness to the (moving) seat frame?
I'm guessing there's an earth point under there somewhere for the Navigation unit/seat motors/seat heaters too that might need an investigate.

Good luck in your search.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #13956016th Mar 2007 12:45 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
Did anything ever come of this?

Similar problem this evening. Started car after filling up, satnav and radio lit up then there was a crack, like an amp being turned on at full volume, and the screen (and radio) blacked out. 3 or 4 seconds later it came back to life again Confused
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #24459613th Jan 2008 11:00 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Guessing the fact that more than one owner has similar noises; it seems to say it is a normal effect?

Just a thought could it be some form of vacuum or servo valve on the heater system shutting, when the engine fire up?

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #24463714th Jan 2008 12:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like there's a loose plug or pin (or possibly earth stud connection) around the CJB, the 'crack' could be caused by the strike-up voltage of the fluroescent backlight of the nav. screen discharging across the connector, the long reboot time being caused by the flashover.....

well it (sort of) makes sense to me! Thud Wink

Post #24463814th Jan 2008 12:35 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I was with you right up to CJB, at which point I drifted off like dougal

I'll start checking earth points Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #24505614th Jan 2008 8:27 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

NoDo$h wrote:
lit up then there was a crack, turned on, blacked out. 3 or 4 seconds later it came back to life again Confused

Whistle Whistle
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #24507514th Jan 2008 8:50 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Shocked How ruuuuuude! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Post #24508114th Jan 2008 8:56 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Ive had this once, about two months ago Shocked Shocked

there was a crack and the sat nav screen restarted.
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #24508414th Jan 2008 9:02 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Curiouser and curiouser.

Any luck with the CB?
Post #24508814th Jan 2008 9:11 pm
90BHP

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

RR Vogue I had as a loaner for 6 weeks did this too. Gone back now though . . . . .
 "To finish first, one first has to finish ...."  
Post #24518214th Jan 2008 11:01 pm
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Had a listen to mine this morning, it seems more noticable when the car is cold first thing, than latter in the day when warm.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #24518314th Jan 2008 11:06 pm
Castle

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It is an old thread but I have the same problems. Especially, only, when it is damp and moist (low condensation point).

Did anybody find a solution or explanation? The "click" is not coming from the satnav but from all the speakers. When the audio is switched off the click is gone but the symptoms stay.
Now and then with the click the whole electrical system is off and I get Special Programs and HDC give a disabled message.

Any thoughts?

Thx in advance,
Jelle

Post #7123685th Nov 2010 11:00 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >