DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Apple Car Play Touchscreen upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dieselkid713

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Arctic FrostLR3
Apple Car Play Touchscreen upgrade

Hello,

I am a new member and heard great things about this forum from one of my Land Rover friends. I was looking to do an upgrade to the radio with a new touch screen that has Carplay and all that fun stuff. My question is, if I upgrade, will I still be able to use the old Nav screen to see my wheel articulation and 4x4 information?

I have search around a bit and havent been able to find the answer to this.

Thanks everyone

Post #218598010th Nov 2020 8:43 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, welcome

An introduction with what kind of motor you have would by nice (to advice)
Model, type, spec, year, etc.

Since that makes a huge difference...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #218599710th Nov 2020 10:37 pm
Dieselkid713

Oh crap sorry. It’s a 2006 LR3 V8 4.4. I don’t know the model it doesn’t say anything in the back of the car beside V8. It does have the factory navigation and Harmon Kardon speakers.

Post #218600010th Nov 2020 10:40 pm
AndyViking

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

There is lots of good advice on this topic around, it’s been done but a lot depends on what you currently have, what you want to keep and what you are prepared to lose!

I posted recently in a similar vain - https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/incartec-fk...91257.html - some of the advice there might help?

Cheers and welcome

Andy
 D3 - 2008.5MY HSE, Stornaway Grey, RSE etc - all the toys
Grabber AT3s, Smoked Sweeping Side Repeaters
D4 Steering Wheel with BBS boards
IID BT Tool - happy to help with fault codes 

Post #218600910th Nov 2020 11:11 pm
Dieselkid713

So I have an update. There has been a company called Avinusa.com working on a plug and play system to retain the infotainment system while installing an updated radio. Attached is our conversation. 👍🏼

Post #218601210th Nov 2020 11:35 pm
wheeler7

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

I’m also interested in CarPlay. I’ve ordered a smartphone to large screen display CarPlay adapter for use with my 2007 LR3 HSE factory sound system. When I get some experience with it, I’ll followup here in the forum.

To provide background where I’m coming from, I’ve been using a (now apparently discontinued) African Outdoors Bluetooth module to stream iPhone audio via Bluetooth to factory sound system. I am pleased listening to music and podcasts wirelessly and steering wheel buttons work for volume and track selection. But phone calls and Siri interaction are impossible because once paired to the BT module, iPhone’s internal microphone is disabled and AO BT doesn’t have a microphone. Phone calls with my LR3’s native BT speakers and microphone have always been of unacceptable quality due to crackling sounds.
 2007 LR3 HSE Zermatt Silver 4.4L Petrol V8; Heavy Duty Package; Luxury Package; Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner; Road Top 7” LCD Touchscreen Monitor with Apple Wireless CarPlay Multimedia Player with Backup Camera; Scosche MagicGrip wireless Qi charging iPhone mount; Bluetooth 4 upgrade; DA6410 GAP-Diagnostic IID Bluetooth; AMK Suspension Compressor; 3 Blink signal lights; Clock on the Dash; Nav on Move; LR4 shorter hitch receiver; Thule Easyfold XT bike rack; Michelin Premier LTX 255/55R19XL.  
Post #218650412th Nov 2020 4:56 pm
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

I am interested in getting carplay displayed through the cars screen, so I will watch this thread with interest.
 David

Post #218651912th Nov 2020 6:16 pm
wheeler7

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

Today I installed the Intellidash+ CarPlay display screen, a seven inch touch display on articulating suction cup mount. You plug Intellidash+ power cord into a 12 volt outlet and connect iOS or Android phone by USB cable. Once connected, turn on ignition and the Intellidash+ starts up quickly and iPhone goes into CarPlay mode with apps on the big screen.

Sound is via FM Transmitter integrated into the Intellidash+. I tuned LR FM radio to an unused frequency and it immediately worked. The Intellidash+ integrated speaker is disabled when using FM Transmitter mode. Intellidash+ has an builtin microphone for Siri interaction and handsfree phone calls.

Over the last few years I had certainly installed more than six different iPhone integrations into the LR3. I am both surprised and pleased with the sound quality of this solution. New to CarPlay, I'm enjoying all the apps and easy Siri integration.

The LR steering wheel audio buttons don't work the way they had. Volume up/down works fine but the media forward/backward switch causes the FM radio frequency to change, so you don't want to do that.

Even though I had upgraded the LR BT module, I was never happy with handsfree speakerphone quality using LR Bluetooth. A subsequent hardware change (=African Outdoors BT module) provided excellent wireless media playback, but pairing disabled the iPhone microphone, which was bad for phone calls and Siri integration. Thus, the principal feature I am seeking is excellent handsfree phone calls and Siri interaction plus media and Intellidash+ appears to deliver.

Purists and audio buffs will disapprove of sound via FM Transmitter, but so far, so good for me. The Intellidash+ has a 3.5mm audio jack- it might be possible to output its audio by cable to the LR3 AUX input jack on the back of the center console.

Intellidash+ has a miniaturized AV input jack- the owners guide refers to using this for a backup camera input. I intend to followup with the distributor for more information in this regard. Prior to today, I had a Garmin RV 760LMT navigation unit suction cupped to the LR OEM display. My Garmin setup is older and works with the Garmin BC-30 wireless backup camera. Incredibly easy to install (LR3 has a 12 volt power jack near the tailgate) and reliable, the BC-30 resolution/display quality is not that good. Later Garmin cameras may be better, not sure. For the time being I will continue to use the Garmin RV 760LMT for its wireless backup camera functionality, so I installed it lower down the center console in front of the ashtray. Ideally, it would be great to get a better quality camera that can display to the Intellidash+.

To the OP, this solution does not affect the integrated LR display screen. In my case, since I don't use the LR screen, I have suction cup mounted the Intellidash+ in front of the OEM display- they're approximately the same size.

It's sort of a nuisance to need to connect the iPhone by USB Lightning cable, as I had been using induction charging and BT sound. The Intellidash+ can be paired to iPhone by BT only but BT mode doesn't provide true CarPlay functionality– rather, basic audio streaming. I do have a ticket with CPLAY2air to determine whether their wireless adapter could work with Intellidash+.

I removed the rubber liner from the passenger's cup holder, and to the flat surface I suction cupped a Scosche MagicGrip™ Double-Pivot Qi Wireless Charger to hold the iPhone. Using an automatic motorized grip, it holds the phone securely at a convenient angle.
 2007 LR3 HSE Zermatt Silver 4.4L Petrol V8; Heavy Duty Package; Luxury Package; Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner; Road Top 7” LCD Touchscreen Monitor with Apple Wireless CarPlay Multimedia Player with Backup Camera; Scosche MagicGrip wireless Qi charging iPhone mount; Bluetooth 4 upgrade; DA6410 GAP-Diagnostic IID Bluetooth; AMK Suspension Compressor; 3 Blink signal lights; Clock on the Dash; Nav on Move; LR4 shorter hitch receiver; Thule Easyfold XT bike rack; Michelin Premier LTX 255/55R19XL.  
Post #218867021st Nov 2020 9:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >