Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Anyone got one of these yet ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Seems that you will be 'perverting the course of justice' if you use one.....and a heavier fine & sentence Rolling Eyes

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007370155,00.html
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #19585728th Aug 2007 11:40 am
Hightry

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

2 things here really. Firstly if it's a PC on the side of the road with a ProLazer or similar it will show up an error message which is only given when this type of device is used. The kit in the vans would be able to stay 'locked' onto your vehicle for about a mile so you would have to have this thing on all the time.
There are two lines the police could take, the first one would be peverting the course of justice which would end up in a few days in court for everyone or an easier to prove offence under Sec.89(2) of the Police Act of Obstructing a police officer in the course of his duty.

I feel generally that many fixed and mobile cameras are in the wrong places and do not reduce road casualties. Someone exceeding the speed limit by 4 MPH is not in the same league as the idiot overtaking on solid whites but speed cameras cant catch those.

My lot (when they get chance to spend 5 mins with the gun) are outside schools and housing estates at peak child times when speed is an issue. Someone doing 40MPH past pavements full of school kids deserves to get caught and told why what he is doing is dangerous.

If anyone buys one of these and wants to try it out with us Whistle off the record, I would be happy to see how it works for both of our benefits.

Post #19586228th Aug 2007 11:49 am
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Easiest to get through the bulkhead at where the pipe for the clutch goes through (on automatic car there is a grommet blanking the hole). You can search the forum, I remember seeing a picture of it as well.
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #19586428th Aug 2007 11:54 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Hightry ,

Quote:
ProLazer or similar it will show up an error message which is only given when this type of device is used.

I was reliably informed by a member of our own police over here that they regularly get error readings , mostly as the user is shooting from the hip as such ( using the foldaway stock pressed to his/her shoulder) and is a resuly of not holding the crosshairs ( ?) steady on the target.Most of the speedtraps I see over here are lasers mounted on tripods or using the roof of the patrol car.Seeing as its a much smaller country over here with a very small traffic corps and I tend to travel the same roads daily at the same times , the odds of a clued up Garda putting two & two together based on frequent error readings received from drey D3 , stacked against me I would reckon ?.If I was a member of Traffic Corps or Traffic Police I'd certainly be reading up on my job and those that are preventing me from doing it.Afterall If I can source this info via the internet , so can he/she.

The reason I am investing in one is because speed detection is shortly to go private in tandem with Gardai detection.In my opinion this ( as with the privatisation of car wardens etc) will open the doors to some indiscriminate money hungry firm putting gatsos and lasers all over the place with one sole aim , revenue !.Im all for speed detection in areas that have been plagued by accidents as aresult of excessive speed , poor driving or reckless driving.Certainly I'd be up for more measures in built up areas , schools , housing , traffic calming areas etc , We practically don't see it over here except on roads where the lasers are guaranteed to catch people out.Most of the traps I come acroos are on sections of new motorway , dual carriageway whwre within reason the chances of an accident are far less here than in previous mentioned locations.

I must admit that in previous times I have been a bit of a speed demon. I Was an asses hair away from losing my licence for 6 months as I had reached my points limit, all saved due to a decent Garda with a heart and the fact that it was Christmas eve.( 2 years ago)I learned my lesson at that point and now my ponts are way down and am looking forward to a further reduction early next year.Driving a D3 has also played a factor in my rehabilitation I have to admit. Rolling Eyes

I don't think I would use this device indiscriminately either but intend only to use in areas it where I deem or feel it unfair to me that Traffic cameras/lasers are used.I don't think I am alone in this thinking and in the impending privtisation I can see them more widely used.

Last point : According to our own traffic laws here it isn't illegal to own a device like a detector or jammer but is illegal to use one !

I hope someone does take you up on your offer of the off the record trial ! Thumbs Up

Regards , DW

Post #19587228th Aug 2007 12:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wex

Quote:
Easiest to get through the bulkhead at where the pipe for the clutch goes through (on automatic car there is a grommet blanking the hole). You can search the forum, I remember seeing a picture of it as well.

Thumbs Up Will look it up . ( Although , I drive a manual) Anyone else got any alternative methods

Post #19587528th Aug 2007 12:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

D, just remember that any fixed cameras use radar rather than laser to detect the speed. Some cameras then have the final confirmation of the speed based on the 2 pictures they take of you and your position on the lines on the road - the speed can be calculated from looking at the pictures.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #19589028th Aug 2007 1:07 pm
Wex

Yep , am aware Bren.Have the Cobra detector for those occasions Thumbs Up

Post #19589228th Aug 2007 1:10 pm
bkehoe

I'm not sure what the private companies will do - vans at the roadside or more fixed cameras - SPECS is the most effective as there's no way to avoid it. Probably a mix of both. They will not be getting rewarded based on the amount of people they catch though - the contracts are based on camera operating time only, though I wouldn't be surprised if behind the scenes, revenue generation will be a factor in positioning of the cameras.

BTW, I know of at least 3 other people on this site that have the Blinder laser jammer units, and none have been stopped or chased by the puzzled garda so far anyway. I 'tested' one for 2 months on my first Disco2 and never had any problems either.

Last edited by bkehoe on 28th Aug 2007 1:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19589428th Aug 2007 1:16 pm
Hightry

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Discowex,

Our devices give us a specific code which is delivered as an error message. Clearly if this message came up we would have cause to stop the car and try to find a device.

The legislation on the use of these seems to be along the same lines as here in the UK. I can imagine your frustrations with speed enforcement being used for income generation. Unfortunately we have the same issues here in the UK with Fixed and mobile cameras.

In the UK all devices other than those operated by a PC must have the appropriate warning signs up.

Post #19589628th Aug 2007 1:18 pm
Wex

Quote:
In the UK all devices other than those operated by a PC must have the appropriate warning signs up.

Hightry , Were about a couple ( maybe more) years behind you over there , I can't see them giving us the heasdup on this.Anyone that doesn't heed the appropriate warning signs , presuming they are highly visible ,desrves to be caught Thumbs Up

As far as I can remember when this announcement ( ie privatised speed detection) was made it was said that there would be ahoneymoon period of OVERT cameras for a few weeks after which it would all go covert Rolling Eyes

Quote:
BTW, I know of at least 3 other people on this site that have the Blinder laser jammer units, and none have been stopped or chased by the puzzled garda so far anyway. I 'tested' one for 2 months on my first Disco2 and never had any problems either.

Was this before traffic duties were handed over to the more educated, dedicated traffic corps Bren ?I do think that it would be foolish to presume that our lads don't have a clue about these gadgets at this stage.Im sure there are quite a few people over here that have them fitted but them admitting it is another.Small country as you know Wink Besides if word spreads then everyone will want one Laughing

Post #19590328th Aug 2007 1:29 pm
bkehoe

It was 2 years ago when I briefly had mine. Sold it to yet another guy with a D3 though don't know if it was ever fitted - are these things as common on other cars as they seem to be on D3s? Laughing

You're right though, I do think it's foolish to think you're invincible as some day they'll come after you if they've got nothing better to do and if they're clued up, they'll spot the sensors. That's why I removed mine, and I rarely speed anyway - never got a single point yet. Smile

Post #19590728th Aug 2007 1:36 pm
AN

Hungary 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Discowex wrote:
Quote:

Thumbs Up Will look it up . ( Although , I drive a manual) Anyone else got any alternative methods

You can get through the wires next to the clucth pipe on a manual, the pipe is a steel one, filled with brakefluid, thus no heat will damage the wires.
 LR D3 S Black, Auto TDV6  
Post #19590828th Aug 2007 1:38 pm
Wex

Quote:
I rarely speed anyway - never got a single point yet.

Youll be able to show them your pilots licence in future , licenced to travel at 550 mph ( Knots per hour ?) Thumbs Up

"Sorry Garda , thought I was in the Boeing Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes tsk tsk "

Post #19591028th Aug 2007 1:41 pm
Wex

Quote:
You can get through the wires next to the clucth pipe on a manual, the pipe is a steel one, filled with brakefluid, thus no heat will damage the wires.

Thanks again AN Thumbs Up I could wrap them in heatproof tape just to be safe Thumbs Up

Post #19591228th Aug 2007 1:43 pm
bkehoe

Now that I've said that, I'll probably get caught in one of those stupid 60K limits on the N11 this afternoon Rolling Eyes

Post #19591428th Aug 2007 1:48 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >