Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Anyone got a ‘Teadrop’ or Micro caravan?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Anyone got a ‘Teadrop’ or Micro caravan?

Swmbo and I have been long time caravanners, since the children were babies (Took our youngest away in the caravan - aged 10 days!) We have had some great holidays.

Now children are grown up, and youngest is nearly 22, we have like many others, replaced them with dogs. Much less hassle and generally do what they are told.

So we still like caravanning and currently have a 4 berth Elddis, although we only use the fixed bed, so it’s effectively a large 2 berth for us.

It’s all very comfortable, but it’s still a big box to haul around and really needs a large car to tow it easily.

We’ve been thinking about getting a camper van. Not a classic VW, but a modern version. However, whilst it seems it will be easy to drive and park up, the old caravan vs motorhome discussion applies, space and mobility whilst on site vs easy travelling and simplicity.

Swmbo came up with the idea of towing a micro caravan behind a camper, that basically is a bedroom on wheels. The thinking is that all the moho’s we’ve seen are great until you have to put the bed up and sleep. I like to stay up later than swmbo, and in the current caravan, she can Censored off into the end bedroom, and shut the door. I can sit up front and watch tv or read with my own space.

We took our caravan to the Hebrides a couple of years ago, and whilst it was great to have when we got there, the getting there along the narrow roads, and the getting on and off ferries with steep angled ramps, all posed problems. With a camper and a teardrop it would be easier.

I know there are compromises on all choices of caravan vs camper etc.

Any experiences out there?

Post #193054926th Mar 2018 8:14 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

No personal experience, I'm not the right size for caravans, but friends have a motorhome and often tow a small caravan behind it. They've done so for many years and their current motorhome is the biggest they've had, whilst the caravan isn't a teardrop it's pretty small.

It works well for them, for the reasons you've suggested, especially when they intend to stay a few nights in one place. They also regularly take just the motorhome. They're retired and get a lot of use from both.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #193056526th Mar 2018 8:42 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As a long term experienced caravaner, I have always enforcised particularly to newbies, the smallest caravan you can manage with is best and will get a lot more use than a large caravan.
I would suggest you look at Eriba caravans they are brilliant IMHO Thumbs Up the only down side of towing a caravan with a motor home is site fees, do you have to pay double?- a Transit size van might be a better option although they might have a little stigma with them although the newish ones do look very 8)
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #193057026th Mar 2018 9:00 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Mrs Do$h and I keep looking at the T@B 320 RS. Neither of us are tin-tenters, but we're now getting a bit old and fragile for canvas. The idea of one of those with the full awning is really rather appealing.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #193058226th Mar 2018 9:30 pm
al cope

England 

sister in law brough a T@B for their first 'van - absolutely hated it, yes it had a bed but pretty much everything else needed to be done outside, so almost the equivilent of sleeping in the back of your Disco. She sold it after 2 trips, and somebody got a bargin 'cause it wasnt cheap when new.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #193060627th Mar 2018 6:54 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

G took the plunge brought a T6 California 4 motion

Your welcome to have a look

Post #193060827th Mar 2018 7:02 am
nigels888

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

I went from a caravan to a motorhome. I got a bailey autograph 79.6 yes it is a big animal at 8m long so no good for taking off site and trying to park however they do do smaller ones. the layout is superb as it has a pull down bed at the cab end and the rear seats can go into a bed with a screen across. it might be worthwhile having a look at a few and see if you can get one in the right size with the layout preferred

Post #193061727th Mar 2018 7:34 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ken, sounds great. Post some pics when you get chance. 👍

I’m not after a large moho. The T6 is what I’m thinking, but not using the bed inside, just using it as a living area.

Another reason for swap from our 20ft tin tent is that Wendy and I often go away separately, me to winter camp for example, and Wendy goes on craft and sculpting weekends. She won’t tow the tin Tent! So I end up taking it and pitching it for her. So a V dub T6 would be superb. Plus when alone, would sleep in the T6.

More flexibility is the attraction.

Post #193061827th Mar 2018 7:49 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Censored predictive text!

Post #193061927th Mar 2018 7:50 am
Iguana

Ukraine 

I've always liked the look of these vans/trailers - not a bad price also, had this pop up in my 'expedition' eBay search
eBay Item No. 142735437319
 Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR =
2015 RR Sport Autobiography
&
1992 Land Rover Defender Camper

- Gone but not forgotten:
MY10 D4 GS
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!) 

Post #193062027th Mar 2018 7:52 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

NoDo$h wrote:
Mrs Do$h and I keep looking at the T@B 320 RS. Neither of us are tin-tenters, but we're now getting a bit old and fragile for canvas. The idea of one of those with the full awning is really rather appealing.

I suggested one of these to SWMBO for my road trips and she said cheaper (for one road trip a year) to stay in hotels. I took that as defacto permission.

Post #193062327th Mar 2018 8:02 am
Martin 01

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Friend of mine had a Tab for 5 yrs, just part ex’d It against an Eriba.
Only lost £1000 in the 5yrs.
He’s now happy with his new purchase for him & the Mrs apart from he went for the fixed bed option which he wouldn’t have again.
The Eribas see to hold good value to.
Seem really well built unlike a lot of the British vans.

Post #193063927th Mar 2018 8:57 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

DSL wrote:
NoDo$h wrote:

I suggested one of these to SWMBO for my road trips and she said cheaper (for one road trip a year) to stay in hotels. I took that as defacto permission.

Do you get 80% of your hotel bills back after 5 annual trips? Because that's what you'll get when you sell your T@B
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #193064727th Mar 2018 9:24 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

al cope wrote:
sister in law brough a T@B for their first 'van - absolutely hated it, yes it had a bed but pretty much everything else needed to be done outside, so almost the equivilent of sleeping in the back of your Disco. She sold it after 2 trips, and somebody got a bargin 'cause it wasnt cheap when new.

Al

I guess it depends what you're after. If you want a shower and a toilet, a 320 isn't for you. If you see it as a more convenient and warmer alternative to an OzTent then it's a winner. Add the Isabella awning and you have the equivalent of an RV5 plus front room on wheels.

The T@B 400 is also rather tempting for those who *do* want a shower and loo onboard. Quite a bit more £££ though.

Don't get me started on the rather rare 510 XL (long out of production). The original concept made me drool.
Post #193064827th Mar 2018 9:30 am
Pelyma

England 

It is always the lack of a loo and shower that put me off the camper van route, I hate the commercial sites with all the rules and regulations, give me a CL with a hook up at most on a farm and I'm in heaven Laughing Well I was until I got my own land, now I'm too busy to go away.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #193065227th Mar 2018 9:51 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >