Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Has anyone disconnected sway bars for offroad on a d3?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
roveribis

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3
Has anyone disconnected sway bars for offroad on a d3?

I see jeep guys doing this on the trail. Would our type os suspension (air,independent) benefit from this?
 -------------------
2008 LR3
ARB bumper, winch, sealed Snorkle, dual battery, Rover Specialties sliders, whole car custom skid plates, 33" tires, ARB air compressor, CB radio, etc... 

Post #68655727th Aug 2010 4:01 am
luvbus

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Hi,

The D3's traction control negates the need to keep all four wheels in contact with the ground (uses brakes on individual wheels as a pseudo difflock/LSD) so I don't think there would be any particular benefit in disconnecting the anti roll bars to try and get a little bit more articulation.

The independent suspension on the D3 cannot get the same sort of articulation as the conventional beam axles on a defender or Jeep due to the fixed mounting points for the wishbones, but it doesn't need it as the electronics keep all four wheels turning even when 1 even 2 are waving about in the air!!

Rich
 Club N.E.R.D.s  
Post #68656127th Aug 2010 5:36 am
roveribis

Understand.

My intention is to keep the car body level. A lot of my trails are tight and body leaning is a problem.
 -------------------
2008 LR3
ARB bumper, winch, sealed Snorkle, dual battery, Rover Specialties sliders, whole car custom skid plates, 33" tires, ARB air compressor, CB radio, etc... 

Post #69664824th Sep 2010 6:14 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi roveribis,
I must confess that I cannot see any situation where disconnecting arbs would reduce body roll.

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #69675925th Sep 2010 2:29 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It won't make any difference with the D3/4. With solid axles articulation is as a result of the geometry, as one side goes up the other will go down. This can be restricted by the ARB so disconnecting ARB to allow more play.
With the D3/4 the air suspension emulates a solid axle by forcing the opposite wheel down and giving excellent articulation for an independently sprung vehicle. Once you loose traction the traction control takes over and the D3/4 will continue progress even with only two opposing wheels in contact.
That is why you can keep up with others with solid axles and disconnected ARBs. Thumbs Up
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #69676125th Sep 2010 3:35 am
roveribis

I do understand that the cross air link (both air bags get connected to keep same pressure), works very well. Still, the ARB is working against the air suspension by trying to stop the independence of the suspension.

I might take a day to test if the difference is worth it, it might not given the weight of the vehicle....
 -------------------
2008 LR3

Post #69745627th Sep 2010 4:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >