Another Stolen D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Di5co_man

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4
Another Stolen D4

Hi All,

I've not been on here for a while....

We have just had our 2014 D4 HSE stolen from my wife's work carpark. Essentially they smashed the drivers side window and reprogrammed a new key using the ODB port and drove off. You could see the ODB reader in the persons hand, this was captured on the CCTV. The shocking part was from entering the carpark and leaving it was only 26 seconds. Censored

We have been pretty careful and are aware of relay attacks but i was unaware of this so i thought it worth posting on here so people can maybe secure their car as locking it is basically pointless.

We've had the car from nearly new and it was in fantastic condition too. Now to get to try to find another car in these strange times Big Cry

Cheers

Post #225292522nd Sep 2021 8:35 pm
DIY Ace

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Terrible. What a shame these people exist.
 2022 BMW i4 M50. Bought Oct 2022. 10,200 miles and counting...
2014 BMW 435d convertible. Bought July 2021. 58,000 miles and counting...
2005 Discovery 3 HSE Auto. Bought Feb 2019. 169,000 miles and counting...
2009 Freelander 2 XS Manual. Bought Sep 2013. SOLD Aug 2021 (already regretted!)

https://youtube.com/channel/UCO_u_0D45x9KGfiNstzLJnw 

Post #225293522nd Sep 2021 9:05 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

i assume if the window is broken the alarm goes off.....if the alarm goes off why doesnt an immobilisers kick in ??,,,,,,,,,,,,,at the point the window is broken the key is not there,,,,surely

Post #225296022nd Sep 2021 11:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamiehol

United Kingdom 

If you break the window the alarm only goes off if you activate the interior sensors which I seem to recall the default CCF config only enables them on double locking.

I’m fairly sure the CCF can be programmed to activate the interior sensors on single lock.

Post #225296823rd Sep 2021 5:42 am
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

We had the same thing here.....

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/disco-4-stolen-oy10udo-182375.html

If we have to leave a car outside our yard (but on the locked estate) they are disabled in certain ways now Whistle and we leave them unlocked after emptying them of the owners possessions so they don't have to smash the windows.
 Joe  
Post #225297023rd Sep 2021 6:50 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Jamiehol wrote:
If you break the window the alarm only goes off if you activate the interior sensors which I seem to recall the default CCF config only enables them on double locking.

I’m fairly sure the CCF can be programmed to activate the interior sensors on single lock.

Even if the alarm goes off nobody can hear it unless they are stood at the side of it not like the D3 and the horns could be adapted to sound so everyone within 1/4 mile could be alerted:evil:
The locks can be programmed to super lock on first click of remote, I have done mine, only problem is remembering that it is set that way, very easy to think I will super lock it and double click the remote.
Northern England, Sheffield, Yorkshire, Bradford area seems to be very active with LR thefts, must be the same gang, well worth noting if visiting this area, but who can blame them when the maximum penalty for a first offence stealing a car without violence is 2 weeks behind bars.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #225297623rd Sep 2021 7:50 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Another Stolen D4

Di5co_man wrote:
Essentially they smashed the drivers side window and reprogrammed a new key using the ODB port and drove off. You could see the ODB reader in the persons hand, this was captured on the CCTV. The shocking part was from entering the carpark and leaving it was only 26 seconds. Censored

No ... can't happen. Man from JLR told me so in an email. Forget the evidence otherwise.

26 seconds IS impressive. The demo of how to do it on YouTube implies it's 2 minutes 6 seconds ... but he was providing a running commentary.

Disklok ... get one bought as soon as you realise you WILL be buying a D4 to replace this one.

edit : be prepared for your insurance company to suspect you of being involved until you send them both sets of keys.

also ... if carpark is "secure", try claiming on works insurance.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #225301423rd Sep 2021 10:36 am
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Well unfortunately it did….

It is entirely possible and insurers are very well aware of JLR products being stolen without keys…in fact the majority of vehicles taken are now keyless thefts…
Overall recovery rate of vehicles now stolen is 42% which is shocking!

A reminder for persons buying a D3/D4 is to properly examine their future purchases carefully given the number of D3/4’s for sale for parts due to engine seizures… these become an easy ringer using the log book of the dead Disco.

Post #225304423rd Sep 2021 2:06 pm
beerbelly

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

this explains why a discovery is on the list of vehicles i have to inform my insurers about for my motor trade policy along with m series cars amg Mercedes Ferrari ect. i thought it was odd when a disco has to be notified but a 5.0 supercharged sport wouldn't

Post #225306923rd Sep 2021 4:48 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

42% overall recovery rate is really much more than I thought it would be………almost half of the stolen vehicles is quite good in my opinion. Of course if it’s 4.2% for discoveries doesn’t help the owners.

Post #225308123rd Sep 2021 6:20 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

It used to be 75%…. It shows that this is now organised crime taking over rather than joyriding/ burglaries …

I don’t know the current JLR product recovery rates but I would imagine that it is considerably lower than that now…

Post #225308423rd Sep 2021 6:28 pm
Di5co_man

Re: Another Stolen D4

Hardware wrote:
edit : be prepared for your insurance company to suspect you of being involved until you send them both sets of keys.

also ... if carpark is "secure", try claiming on works insurance.

We've had the mountain of questions from the insurance company and we have to send them the keys too. The carpark is open so i doubt anything could come from that really.

We like the car as it did everything well, yes, the tech was dated but everything else was fine. I'd be cautious buying another of the same age due to the known issues that the D4 can have as ours was sorted and never gave any problems, and also the speed in which they can be taken. A steering lock would be fine but i hoped that we had left them 20 years ago! maybe a ghost immobiliser or a hidden switch like some have mentioned too.

Makes you wonder if its all LR cars of that age where the venerability is and not exclusively the D4.

Anyway i'll see what the payout is and if i have to make up the GAP to get in to another if i do go that route.

Post #225311623rd Sep 2021 8:36 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It’s certainly all the JLR cars of that era with the keyless entry, using the smooth rounded key. My 2015 Jag F Type is vulnerable. It has a hefty steering lock fitted and is now locked and blocked in the garage at night.

Most of the recent thefts from my area (Stockport) have been of new or nearly new BMW’s, Mercs, and Audi’s. Most have been house break in to get keys. Not heard of any JLR in recent weeks, although many went before.

We know there have been many thefts as they come up on our local Facebook/WhatsApp groups. Favourite mode of entry into the house seems to be to gas axe the lock in the patio doors!

Post #225312323rd Sep 2021 8:58 pm
Di5co_man

Ive seen a fair few pop up on Facebook, i'm north Sheffield based and they seem to prefer getting the keys from the house from what I've read, but to take ours in broad daylight in front of people was just brazen.

The amount of D4's I've sen since with no additional security just highlights that people are not aware how easy they can be taken.

Post #225312723rd Sep 2021 9:07 pm
Tecdiver.

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Something else for me to worry about. I've owned my 2016 D4 just a few months. Will start looking at additional security now. Wink
 Some mistakes are to good to only make once.  
Post #225328624th Sep 2021 5:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >