Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

ANOTHER SPANKING for the 4x4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

It sounds as though the views should be read more as 'Room 101' views, which are those of the individual, but the program seems to have targetted a wider audience.
Anyone know someone famous who's willing to put the Pius into room 101....?
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #15752315th May 2007 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
fisherman

Wales 

Sheep in Burberry. Rolling with laughter

In the States the bikers who used to be seen as aggresive and dirty thugs have used celebs to pioneer positive actions like toy drives and voluntary help for the less able. The big names got involved like Jay Leno and now the bikers are seen in an incredibley friendly way. And they're still hairy ar$ed bikers underneath it all.
Now maybe a drive in our gas guzzling 4x4's isn't whats needed as I'm sure that will be used against us in some way. But if we filled all 7 seats and showed how we saved cost as we didn't need 2 cars and took some needy kids on a 4x4 day out, they'ed have fun and so would we. And it would be a hugely positive step for the cause.
Just a thought. Wink
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #15752715th May 2007 11:27 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thumbs Up
I'd have no problem getting my oldest lad to fill the car with his friends.....
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #15753015th May 2007 11:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

For those who didn't see the programme and wish a quick summary of what we're talking about, have a look at this:
http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/default.asp?sect...bpage=2198

ITV perfectly exemplify on that link the utter rubbish they talk,
Quote:
67% of those asked said they felt 4x4s were unsuitable for urban areas
. Hmm, I wonder who they asked... of course it would have been completely irrespective and unbiased randomers who arn't members of anti-4x4 bandwagon... hmm I wonder Mad

The only pro-4x4 website I know of is that www.4x4prejudice.org one, however I believe little happens on that in terms of fighting back. However, there could be hundreds of pro-4x4 websites for all I know, but I do know that they arn't making a difference.

Even if, say, we had our own pro-4x4 site, how would we ever manage to get anybody to visit it?

I'm stumped.
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #15753415th May 2007 11:36 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Where possible I counter most arguments against mine by showing them the state of it. Covered in pro-shooting, pro-farming stickers and thoroughly grubby, with wellies, recovery straps, waterproofs and seat covers all proudly displayed. It looks like a "proper" 4x4. But in a way this plays into their hands, as it makes the urban user who may use it for commuting and family outings work all the harder to justify it against my more hardcore use. Ultimately, why should any of us have to justify our choices.

Still, that argument is based on ideology and reality makes a poor bedfellow for idealists. The reality is that we are having to justify our choice of vehicle so any pro argments we can muster should be collated and presented to our celebrity of choice for onward transmission. Anyone got Robert Mugabe's number?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #15754015th May 2007 11:51 am
fisherman

Wales 

I would love to get someone like Billy Connolly, he can talk the knickers off a Nun and people listen to him. He is revered as a man who likes to have his say and won't "go quietly" if told to do so. And he drove a RR around Scotland for his show.
My hero. Thumbs Up

Right then, who knows him well enough to ask him? Whistle
 FFRR 2017 4.4SDV8 Autobiography. Cost so much I must be mad!
D4 HSE 2012 Like a second wife, more expensive but goes better! I almost cried this time!
D3 HSE 2006 (Almost 8 years together, true love)
Land Cruiser VX 1994 11 years together, wife cried when I p/ex'd for my D3 

Post #15754115th May 2007 11:51 am
Lakeland Land Rover

United Kingdom 

I am sure with all the expertese here we would be able to record a retort to this program and send it to a few TV stations and see if we can get it aired!!
 Lakeland Land Rover
The Garage,
Torver,
Coniston,
Cumbria,
LA21 8BJ
Tel: 015394 41888 

Post #15754215th May 2007 11:53 am
Pelyma

England 

As I've said many times, 4x4's are the new fox hunting. You ride a horse and you automatically look down on someone - so you are a toff. You drive a high 4x4 you look down on people - so you are a toff. You are wasting your breath trying to talk to the likes of the ecomentalists, their minds are made up; it would be like me convincing a League Against Cruel Sports supporter that I'm not so child molesting sadist because I hunt with my dogs, they won't listen.

However where the battle is being won for us hunting types is in the media. Sure hunting was banned but now more people than ever hunt - some ban! This was achieved not by direct action back, not even really by the huge London Marches but by constantly bombarding the media with the real science again and again and again. Commission polls, do tests and research journos aren't stupid, they want to write what the public wants to read, but the more you bombard them the more you form a bigger population ready to read papers and watch programmes.

I didn't watch the rubbish, I did see a trailer where a woman was tring to park a Jeep, I suspect she couldn't park a Mondeo either, I watched an excellent programme where a Cornish village was trying to save a school - much better for the blood pressure!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #15754415th May 2007 11:54 am
CY

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Pelyma wrote:
I watched an excellent programme where a Cornish village was trying to save a school - much better for the blood pressure!

I watched New Tricks which, by the way, is so good that hopefully nobody actually watched that anti-4x4 tripe. Unfortunately (for my bloody pressure), I taped the ITV show and watched it after.... Twisted Evil
 2007 Porsche Boxster (987) 2.7
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE G4 Challenge (1 of 68)
2023 Defender 90 D250 X-Dynamic HSE 

Post #15755115th May 2007 12:03 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Pelyma wrote:
As I've said many times, 4x4's are the new fox hunting.......

I think you've summed it up. Rolling Eyes

I did watch the programme, and one thing I remember if I heard correctly (feel free to correct me) was the statistic that "1 in 13 cars sold is a 4x4." So doing the maths, this means less than 8% of cars sold are 4x4s. Is this really worth all the attention in any media, print, press or otherwise, let alone the Urban Alliance thingies and their campaigns?

That makes us a minority - surely we qualify for some grants, protection and positive media bias? Laughing Laughing

I must be honest, until last night's statistic, and all the attention, you'd think it was 12 in every 13.
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #15755215th May 2007 12:04 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

But Mossy... every other car in London is a huge 4x4 Rolling Eyes

Thats why the world must be rid of them, cause the Londoner's say so Laughing Laughing

Post #15756515th May 2007 12:32 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It was nice of them to use the D3 to show 'what a real 4x4' could do though eh Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #15756615th May 2007 12:41 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

simon wrote:
every other car in London is a huge 4x4 Rolling Eyes

I make that 50:50 then - equal rights - they should be pleased Rolling with laughter

Or have I got it all wrong? Embarassed
Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #15756715th May 2007 12:45 pm
tomo

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I live in London (within it's urban sprawl). To be perfectly honest I have never owned a 4x4 before and never really wanted to own one particularly. We used to own an A-class merc, but then we had our 3rd child and suddenly realised that, due to the new laws about booster seats, I couldn't fit two booster seats and a baby seat in our car. We started looking for a new car, we looked at 4-door family saloon cars initially - but we found that 3 booster seats didn't fit in most of those either! Rolling Eyes

The only alternative was a 'people carrier' or a 4x4. We did look at people carriers, but we also needed an auto box as the missus passed her test on an auto. There aren't any 7-seater poeple carriers with an auto gearbox that I like quite frankly, so we went for a disco. I had seen the disco3 around and, in hindsight, subconciously I had thought to myself "I really like that car", so it wasn't a hard to decide which 4x4 we bought in the end.

At the end of the day I bought the car purely for practical reasons, and I'm glad I did....I love the car and so does the missus. I plan on actually getting it properly dirty too now, so I guess I am a 4x4 convert Very Happy
 '05 (55) TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #15757515th May 2007 1:44 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Good for you tomo Thumbs Up

Post #15757715th May 2007 1:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >