Another Dead D4, Broken Crank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
M3bobby

United Kingdom 
Re: Another Dead D4

Johnny V wrote:
Hi,
Have just joined all the other sufferers - was on holiday in Peak District a week ago and was driving back to my caravan from Buxton, thought I heard a slight ticking sound like a stone in the tyre - within two minutes sounded like the bottom was falling out of the engine - stopped - diagnosis now a seized/broken crank !
Just to make things even more annoying had just had cam belts, water pump, and drive belt replaced four weeks ago, plus car is serviced correctly albeit not with a Land Rover dealer.
Good old Green Flag - Transporter for Car, Us, Dogs, and Towing the Caravan home.
Car is a 2012 3.0SDV6 HSE with just 86,000 miles from new - now have a car that working is worth about £15k ? but to get to that point possibly have to spend c.£6-8k on having engine replaced.
My 'Mr Fixit' is trying to find a wreck that has a good engine and Turbo's that he can test before fitting in mine - obviously dependent upon age/mileage might need new cam belts !
Can't believe Land Rover have just allowed this problem to continue
Now driving a Skoda Fabia Diesel that I ahve been lent, 130,000 miles and starts first touch.
Mr Unhappy Jon

So many people are saying that the crank went after having the belts done.

Post #208751127th Sep 2019 5:22 pm
Johnny V

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Must admit at first everyone though that maybe the cam belt had jumped a notch and it was top end - ufortunately not the case.
I am no engineer - why would the cam belts being changed affect the crank ?
Only thing I can think is perhaps slightly more tension on the main pulley ?
Would be interested in knowing if there is a connection !

Post #208752827th Sep 2019 6:38 pm
Pigscovery

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Immediately after mine broke last week I plugged in my GAP IID tool. no warnings logged before it went. but lots were logged at the instant the engine stopped, time of death 13:22 on 19 September 2019.

Post #208753327th Sep 2019 6:58 pm
Johnny V

Sorry to hear you have the same issue - my time of death was about 3.00pm on the 14th
The mechanic that attented plugged in but no fault codes recorded on mine

Post #208754127th Sep 2019 7:29 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

Johnny V wrote:
Must admit at first everyone though that maybe the cam belt had jumped a notch and it was top end - ufortunately not the case.
I am no engineer - why would the cam belts being changed affect the crank ?
Only thing I can think is perhaps slightly more tension on the main pulley ?
Would be interested in knowing if there is a connection !

Like you, they get all the belts done at the same time, the oil pump tensioner also gets replaced. This is only torqued to 25NM or so and if it is over torqued, the thing can disintegrate and/or cause cracking, loss of oil pressure to main bearings, overheating, spun bearing and then crank failure.

I’m no expert but there’s a hell of a lot of people suffering with snapped cranks within a month or so of having the belts done.

Post #208755027th Sep 2019 8:00 pm
Pigscovery

Landrover Response

Just been told, NO JLR goodwill will be forthcoming for replacement engine due to age, mileage and the fact I didn't have full Dealership history (last two oil changes were DIY, but bought genuine filters from Dealer with receipts ).

This implies that there may have been something on offer (despite 10 years old and 168k) if I'd had the full main dealer history.

Seems to qualify you need;
1) To have purchased from new or approved used from Main Dealer
2) Had full main dealer service history

I am really angry that I was advised by JLR customer services to take it to main dealer for a report before any goodwill could be considered, but when I made that call I quoted the reg, age & mileage, - customer services could have asked if it had full main dealer history, hence they could have saved me a recovery fee and a diagnostic fee if this was a non-starter ! (forgive the pun).

Post #208830130th Sep 2019 10:44 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I doubt very much you’d have gotten anything at that age and mileage, LRCS were just going down the script sheet.

Post #208830430th Sep 2019 10:55 am
Rnclayton

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Re: Landrover Response

Quote:

I am really angry that I was advised by JLR customer services to take it to main dealer for a report before any goodwill could be considered,

Sorry to hear more woe's.

Had the same thing. The problem with the report, is that they have to strip the engine to determine the problem.

I had the same thing, where I had it transported to JLR, just for them to say, give us a blank check to decide whether we will do anything for you.
 MY07 Freelander2 SE Santorini Black - Gone
MY10 D4 XS Buckingham Blue
MY06 D3 HSE 

Post #208831030th Sep 2019 11:15 am
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Agreed sorry to hear about your car.

Unfortunately this is why I have left JLR. I know the chances off the crank going are meant to be small, but the risk is there. My 55 plate D3 died 6 weeks after a timing belt / oil pump change and still to work out what has happened.

Seemingly they do not care, they know there is an issue but wash their hands if you step out side an approved dealer doing any of the work. I live in Scotland and their servicing prices are still very high, dread to think what they must be like down South.

Even if you had kept it within their network I think you would have got a 20% contribution at best, and at this they are still making further money out of you.

If this ever does go out on Watch dog, as others have said I do think Warranty Direct will drop this level of cover going forwards. Or significantly ramp up their prices to cover themselves. JLR warranty do not cover it so am sure they will follow suit.
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #208831430th Sep 2019 11:28 am
Pigscovery

This week's (or next) Watchdog report will hurt LR's used forecourt sales at main dealers, at least for 3.0 TD/SD V6 cars, which will have knock-on effect on trade-ins and therefore new sales (apart from Fleet / Staff schemes). Who wants to buy a ticking time bomb ?

Aside, I really hope we don't see any serious/fatal incidents resulting from loss of power (+ power steering and braking assistance) at motorway speeds. Prior to my 50Mph failure I'd been doing 70 on the M6 in the outside lane (yes that was lucky in itself) and the hard shoulder was being used. Weaving between lorries while 'gliding' would have been 'exciting', like landing a space shuttle at Heathrow on a busy day.

Police say 'stay with vehicle with your hazards on, call 999' (followed by your loved ones ?) on these new 'Smart' motorways if you cannot make it to a emergency pull-in area and cannot exit the car safely. Nice.

Post #208833430th Sep 2019 12:59 pm
Mr Kington

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Totally agree. Mine gave way at 75 mph on a two lane motorway in France with my wife and two kids in the car. Oil light on, then nothing. No power steering brakes or anything. Managed to get it to the hard shoulder, woke the kids up and stood behind the barrier. Police were great and within 20 mins we have a massive lorry sat behind us with a flashing warning sign until the recovery vehicle turned up.

Could have been much much worse
 James favourite hobby is writing in the third person.  
Post #208833530th Sep 2019 1:03 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Pigscovery wrote:
This week's (or next) Watchdog report will hurt LR's used forecourt sales at main dealers, at least for 3.0 TD/SD V6 cars, which will have knock-on effect on trade-ins and therefore new sales (apart from Fleet / Staff schemes). Who wants to buy a ticking time bomb ?

Aside, I really hope we don't see any serious/fatal incidents resulting from loss of power (+ power steering and braking assistance) at motorway speeds. Prior to my 50Mph failure I'd been doing 70 on the M6 in the outside lane (yes that was lucky in itself) and the hard shoulder was being used. Weaving between lorries while 'gliding' would have been 'exciting', like landing a space shuttle at Heathrow on a busy day.

Police say 'stay with vehicle with your hazards on, call 999' (followed by your loved ones ?) on these new 'Smart' motorways if you cannot make it to a emergency pull-in area and cannot exit the car safely. Nice.

They are also still using the engine in new cars. D5, RRS & FFRR all use that engine still. Not sure on Jag

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #208835330th Sep 2019 1:29 pm
Johnny V

The more I read the worse this gets
I haven't even tried Land Rover Customer Services as despite having had mine serviced 'on schedule' from new it has been with a local garage not a Land Rover dealer.
I figure that even if I got a contribution the extra charge from a main dealer would outweigh any benefit.
Am being quoted c.£1,800 to carry out the work on top of whatever I have to pay to get a replacement engine (a few about from £3k to £7k dependent upon age and mileage).
This definitely wasn't in my budget plans !
I was perhaps lucky that mine ran until I managed to park up and switch off.

Post #208848430th Sep 2019 7:32 pm
Oz Brown

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
3 litre diesel bottom ends

If any of you guys want to buy a cheap bottom end I have got a couple. Good block, crank rods, pistons and oil pump. They will be std big ends still. Probably just fit a new set of shells and you have a perfect bottom end to put your heads on. They are in Northamptonshire if anyone is interested

Post #209159611th Oct 2019 8:25 pm
Pigscovery

Top end damage if crank breaks ?

I am wondering: As this is an 'interference' engine, if the crank is broken is there also a strong likelihood that the top end will have suffered valve/head damage as a result of pistons being in the wrong place at the wrong time ?

Post #209192713th Oct 2019 11:11 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >