DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Another battery query....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Windowlicker

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Another battery query....

Hi all,
I , as many others it would appear, have been getting the HDC and T/R not functioning message in the dash, when first turning over the engine on cold mornings.
I assumed it was battery related as many have said this is the normal cure for such warnings with the extra load on the system with all the electrickery related gadgets being used in freezing conditions.
When looking on the nav screen via the "secret button" Very Happy ( again another great find by the wiser than me on this site Thumbs Up ) the original battery , 4 years old/original battery I assume, showed 11.5 v when ignition on, then up to around 14-14.5 v when engine was running.
I bit the bullet and purchased a new battery from Armstrong Massey at York, who kindly did it at £99+ vat with the alligence discount Very Happy it is the new 950 amp one , ( the one I removed was a land rover stickered unit rated at only 825 amps)
Anyway , having fitted it, then checking the output on the nav screen again, I was a bit surprised to see it was exactly the same as the old one, 11.5 Shocked
I now have it on the ctek charger , assuming maybe it needed charging/using for it to take charge, or am I missing something entirely obvious Idea
Many anks, Nick Thumbs Up
 Procrastination is the thief of time!!  
Post #7410524th Jan 2011 5:45 pm
drivesafe

Australia 

Hi Nick, how often do you drive your D3 and when you do drive, how long do you drive for?
 2008 TDV8 RR Lux + 2009 D4 2.7  
Post #7411184th Jan 2011 8:22 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

the voltage on the nav screen secret button is not accurate ...it only shows in increments of .5

so it will only show 11.0 - 11.5 - 12.0 etc
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #7411214th Jan 2011 8:27 pm
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Alternator OR earth lead needs replacing... found the later was a "contributing " factor as the new OEM LR 950 amp battery has only slightly smaller terminals - even with the original one tightened up, the collar was hand tight but could be pulled off/twisted round , temp fix was to wrap some copper wiring around the earth terminal on the new battery, then sit the orignal collar over it Thumbs Up

new neg lead easy cured the problem in less then 10 mins at less than £20 Bow down

take another look under the bonnet tonight and just check whether you can pull round the neg terminal with ease and also that its sitting right down with the new terminal just proud of the collar, not level (often the tap of a wooden handled hammer does the trick) Very Happy

ps dont forget to unplug the trickle charge and let the car go to sleep with no keys in the ignition Shocked

Post #7411244th Jan 2011 8:29 pm
Windowlicker

Hi, thanks for the replies Thumbs Up
I drive the d3 daily, usual work trip is about 65 miles a day, though recently whilst off there have been a number of short trips into town so to speak, but the various error messages have been showing up most of the way through december, though only on start up in the morning.

When I popped the new battery on this aft it didn't seem to be a bad fit on the terminals to be fair, gave them a good wiggle but didn't exactly give them loads of beans to be honest.
Will give them avtug now Shocked
It's on charge at the mo, was going to leave it overnight and see how it looks tomorrow .

I have just assumed with the old battery bing 4 years old, and regular usage of the gsm fbh etc , that it had just seen it's best, and I suppose the new battery being " apparently" the same, voltage wise, just surprised me, could the new battery just be in a partial state of discharge whilst in storage at the dealers??

Thank ya Thumbs Up
Post #7411324th Jan 2011 8:39 pm
Windowlicker

Just been out and checked the terminals, all tight, no movement whatsoever. Very Happy
Post #7411534th Jan 2011 8:54 pm
character

are the terminals slightly proud of the connectors?

see how yer get int morning, from experience a very quick way to see if yer running on the new battery which is not being charged by the alternator (assuming you've not got the right diagnostic kit to do it insitu) is to drive for a short while with the lights on, heater on, radio, then turn on the windscreen wipers, if they are slow in the sweeping action, get off the road as soon as or back home if its only a mile or so away, coz once that battery drains, you're going to get christmas 2011 on the dash Rolling with laughter

Post #7411724th Jan 2011 9:21 pm
anglefire

England 

Nick,

Funnily enough I had a System fault message yesterday when I came to start the engine so I could raise the suspension to do some work. Though I do a fair amount of short journeys at the moment, I had done Manchester and back last Thursday, so the battery should be charged I would have thought.

Anyway, I put my Ctek 4300 on and it started at only 2 LED's on and had got to 3 after about 90minutes. (Is that normal?)

I then checked the voltage and was getting between 11.5 and 12v on the diagnostic screen (Couldn't be bothered to get my multi-meter out Embarassed ) I did see it as low as 11V (I think) when it was -9'C before christmas.

Long and short, I'm wondering if I'm on borrowed time with my battery as I think it's original (6 Years)
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #7411764th Jan 2011 9:24 pm
character

mark, borrowed time is a bit of an understatement Whistle Rolling with laughter

just do me a favour tomorrow, have a look at your neg and possitive leads, are they properly sat on the battery terminals ie right down with the terminal slightly proud and can it be moved left or right even though the screw/nut are fully tightened, be interested to know whether that has any effect Thumbs Up

Post #7411834th Jan 2011 9:32 pm
anglefire

England 

I was under there yesterday and yes the terminals are proud and tight as I checked them too Thumbs Up

I can take a picture if it will help Whistle
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #7411934th Jan 2011 9:46 pm
character

mark, when you do upgrade to the 950amps battery that is now OEM spec for D3, be interested to know whether they are just as tight a fit with the new battery Thumbs Up

Post #7412144th Jan 2011 10:01 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The New 950Ah battrey terminals are very tight. Bit of an effort to push them on Mathew.

Post #7412174th Jan 2011 10:04 pm
Windowlicker

Thanks again for the replies chaps Thumbs Up , haven't worked out how to multiple quote yet Embarassed
Just been out and checked , the charger is still charging, not flicked to green yet, diagnostic screen now showing 12v.

I think it's pretty much a given that once past 3-4 years a batteries cells are sufficiently depleted to hugely affect it's ability to hold a decent charge, one thing i have just noticed is that the nav screen instantly came on when the ignition was turned on, as of this last week it has been slightly delayed, then the last two mornings the screen was black for a good few seconds before showing the normal agree screen.
It will be interesting to see how it fires up and idles first thing in the morning.

Anglefire: form what I have read on this site , I looks like you have done very well with a 6 year life of your battery, it's one of those " well it works, why would I spend £120 to get something else that does the same" but only when it fails entirely and leaves you stranded or makes you late for something that you think, " why oh why did I ignore all the kind warnings I used to get on that little screen everyday" Laughing

Just been out and taken a couple of pics, both terminals are tight as a gnats chuff, definitely more Mouses ear, than Wizards sleeve Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #7413154th Jan 2011 11:47 pm
character

when you've charged him, just tap that second one down so there is no gab at the bottom, just loosen him a wee bit an tap the bracket with a wooden implement. Shocked

Post #7413255th Jan 2011 12:23 am
character

MacLeod 313 wrote:
The New 950Ah battrey terminals are very tight. Bit of an effort to push them on Mathew.
had quite the opposite, hence changing the negative lead Shocked  
Post #7413265th Jan 2011 12:25 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >