Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Amber Warning Lights but after car driven
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
mac_nud123

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Amber Warning Lights but after car driven

This is my first post since i asked advice on buying my D3 back in June and apart from usual suspension height issue its been a great car till this week, of all weeks. I have searched all the threads on warning lights around hdc etc but my symptoms appear to be a bit different. As the dealer looked less than hopeful time for some advice. On starting this week i noticed, the sat nav going through a reset having turned over but also the pre heater didnt always run, two mornings it started then cut out. After driving about ten miles i would go to touch the brakes and the amber factory would attack the dasboard, with the HDC, the suspension, then special programs displayed problem. Car would immediately sink to stops. If EPB applied was told that has failed with amber light as well. An ignition reset would work till the next journey. Land Rover assist came out said that height sensor at back, the one changed by dealer two months ago was erroring but was not a problem. They also showed a message which stated an error between ignition switch and EPB switch but LA chap looked vague on that and put it down to communication errors on Can. He told me that pre heater had switched off as it detected low fuel. It was running as we sat there and I had not topped up. So all reset, all new software, calibration and told to take to dealer if occurs again. Way home that night I only had an amber EPB failure as I pulled onto drive. Yes you guessed family shopping trip, me in a good mood and fortunately 5 miles from dealer I gently slow touch the brakes and bingo. This does not sound like alot of other threads as no lights when i start but am thinking wheel speed sensor but confused with EPB and pre heater. Car has not been off road recently and a steer would be most helpful.

Post #23694723rd Dec 2007 10:16 am
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Don't know if this helps but I had similar problems - full show of lights, suspension dropping and locking but OK after reset, occurred after braking.

Happened 2nd time outside dealers after maintenance - mechanic checked it out, fault code indicated brake switch (he found nothing there), changed stop bulbs (they were 'blackened' in his words) - all OK so far.

Might be worth a look at the bulbs?
 I see no ships........  
Post #23721424th Dec 2007 3:01 pm
mac_nud123

Had a call from the dealer just before they shut. They told me its a brake light switch fault and have one on order. They will call me Thursday after Christmas gap. Sounds mighty similar to your fault. Thanks.

Post #23731524th Dec 2007 10:21 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Amber Warning Lights but after car driven

I had a similar problem with the amber lights and suspension lowering but this happened after a fault with the auto gearbox. It seemed like once 1 fault had occured it threw up a load of others!

Still waiting for car to be returned, been in Dealers for amost 2 weeks Big Cry
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #23732524th Dec 2007 11:04 pm
wavey66

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

SWMBO was pulled over this morning by the Police as the rear brake lights were not working. Fortunatley he must have got what he wanted for xmas as he just said get it sorted asap. When she got home I went to take a look and noticed the suspension was also lower on one side, I started the car and had the amber suspension light show with the accompanying bong. I tried to change the suspension hight but did not work. I called LRA who arrived in an hour Smile The Technician seemed to know the problem straight away.... a blown brake light at the back. He replaced them both and all is well now. Still can't understand why a faulty bulb causes a suspension failure - Think I'll be purchasing a set of replacement bulbs !!

Post #23751826th Dec 2007 4:31 pm
wavey66

Well an update to my previous post and a warning of impending doom should you encounter similar symptoms -. Went out this morning to get some fuel, I was waiting in a queue for about 3 or 4 minutes when the car went into extended mode all on it's own ( only the back went up ) I lowered the car back into normal height and filled up. As soon as I got home I waited in the car again and sure enough after a few minutes the back went up and extended mode flashed on the display.

I decided to go for a drive to see if anything else happened and after about 5 miles the red suspension warning came up, special programes off appeared on the display followed by - don't exceed 30 mph warning. The suspension then failed totally. Not a plesent feeling driving the D3 with no suspension at all, as mentioned in other posts it looks as though it's been pimped ! Waiting for LRA assist now to see what can be done but I suspect a trip to the dealers is in order, thank heavens it's still got 8 months warrentee left !

Post #23766027th Dec 2007 2:14 pm
mac_nud123

Went and collected mine from dealers today. They reset suspension and have replaced brake switch. Drove more than the three times the fault had activated before, ten miles had it all flashing the previous three days I drove it, and so far all appears well. 'Smile' I will keep you posted. Dealer told me that alot of faults with the brakes will put the car into a safe mode which turns off suspension and any additional brake controls such as DSC, ABS and traction control. He said a blown bulb would also do this. Went to Halfords and picked up a set of Bosch ones just in case. Nice to have her back the Freelander 2 did not work for me.

Post #23769027th Dec 2007 5:41 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Mac_nud123 - glad it all worked out for you. Bit of a pain that a faulty brake light switch / bulb causes such a system wide shutdown but I guess it has to react to info being fed back.

Agree about the FL2 - had one for a couple of days and hated every minute - it was even worse than my old X-trail........ Sad
 I see no ships........  
Post #23769827th Dec 2007 6:22 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

mac_nud123 wrote:
Dealer told me that alot of faults with the brakes will put the car into a safe mode which turns off suspension and any additional brake controls such as DSC, ABS and traction control.

Safe Mode ? safe for who the D3 or the occupants Shocked

Its surprising that the simple event of a brake light bulb can cause a cascade of failures on such an otherwise very well worked out vehicle.

Glad its all working now Thumbs Up And yeah, Freely 2 is a nice motor and all, but compared to the ride and driving position of the D3 it just does not compare. Nippy though Thumbs Up

Post #23769927th Dec 2007 6:22 pm
wavey66

Further update - LRA came out this evening and plugged a diagnostic computer into the D3. Fault detected with the left rear sensor on suspension. Seems that one of these failing can cause the suspension and errors etc. Being collected tomorrow and off to the dealers so lets see what they find.

Have to say very impressed with LRA, called them at lunchtime initially and diagnosed as needing to go into the dealer at 5pm - They have a replacement car ligned up for me in the morning.

Stilll poor that the car breaks down but at least the support seems to be improving

Last edited by wavey66 on 28th Dec 2007 11:13 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #23773127th Dec 2007 8:41 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

Mine has been in the Dealers for 16 days now. Big Cry

Still no news... I don't like ringing everyday for updates, but I don't know how long I'm going to need the RR Enterprise supplied as a courtesy car. When I picked it up they said...'The fuel light has just come on.' Yeah...The reality was that the info centre said it had a range of _ _ _ Didn't think I'd make it to the petrol station!!

It's like having a fur coat and no knickers!!! Going to the petrol staion in a 57 plate RR and putting 10 quid worth of fuel in it... In the vain hope that mine will return today and I can give back the RR in the state it was given to me.... empty! Rolling with laughter

I always carry a couple of spare bulbs and when I start the car up on the drive I give a glance at the reflection of my rear end in the neighbours windows... brake lights working.... check

Disco XXV

Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #23785228th Dec 2007 11:29 am
Jimbob Squarepants

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Jan wrote:
Mine has been in the Dealers for 16 days now. Big Cry

Still no news... I don't like ringing everyday for updates,

Why not....I'd be harrassing them continuously if they were not giving me updates!
 Too much intellectual firepower can damage your common sense.  
Post #23787428th Dec 2007 12:47 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

Should have said more than once a day!!

I work in a garage and know what it's like when people ring up for hour by hour reports!

I have just called them and await their return call. My car seems to be causing them some problems Confused

Disco XXV

Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #23787928th Dec 2007 1:08 pm
catweasel

Jan wrote:
on the drive I give a glance at the reflection of my rear end in the neighbours windows
Shocked

poetic licence Whistle

Post #23788028th Dec 2007 1:13 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

Wink

Disco XXV

Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #23788228th Dec 2007 1:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >