Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Amber suspension light
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
reb78

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3
Amber suspension light

SWMBO was taking the kids to the childminder earlier and I got a call to say the amber suspension light had come on. 2007 D3 - all original suspension system as far as I know. Been reliable other than replacing the valve blocks (front, middle and rear) a few years ago which cured a slow sinking overnight/a few days issue.

Took a look just now and Hawkeye says:
C1A13 - Pressure does not decrease when venting the gallery: signal plausibility failure

Sounds like an exhaust valve issue?

I have just raised it and lowered it a number of times - can hear the compressor and it venting. I moved it when in raised mode and then set to lower and it seemed to think it was stuck in extended mode - front lowered, rear didnt. I was on the drive so no obstructions. It eventually lowered after moving the lever to raised and normal a few times. Took it for a spin around the block, raised and lowered a few times absolutely fine.

Nearly two weeks ago, I did use the car in the heavy rain we had in the southwest. Went through a fair number of floods and raised the suspension a few times for a couple of them. It hasnt been used a lot since (couple of trips to the shops).

Any thoughts? I need to drive from Cornwall to Kent on Friday and then back after xmas so getting parts quickly could be tricky. I am currently thinking its ok to take it as is as its behaving now..?

Post #235639620th Dec 2023 11:44 am
loanrangie

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Compressor if still the original is well overdue for a rebuild, get a full service/rebuild kit and it'll last another 10 years.

Post #235645621st Dec 2023 1:30 am
reb78

Thats the way I was leaning. It will need to be after Christmas now though. Whats the chances a sticky compressor exhaust valve will xause a catastrophic failure before I have done the next 1000 miles (realistically thats the earliest I will get to it!)

Post #235645921st Dec 2023 2:29 am
reb78

Also - recommendations on where yo buy a service kit?? Landyair on ebay or somewhere else?

Post #235646021st Dec 2023 2:30 am
Naki Blake

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I brought a kit from 4x4airseals.com
Posted from England to New Zealand
Very good step by step tutorial videos on their website or YouTube. Easy job to refurbish the compressor.
Hardest part of whole job was undoing top bolt which attaches compressor to car, its on a difficult angle.
Cheers Blake

Post #235646121st Dec 2023 4:14 am
loanrangie

reb78 wrote:
Thats the way I was leaning. It will need to be after Christmas now though. Whats the chances a sticky compressor exhaust valve will xause a catastrophic failure before I have done the next 1000 miles (realistically thats the earliest I will get to it!)

It will likely be fine for that distance but at worse case you may be riding on the bump stops - not likely though.

Post #235646221st Dec 2023 6:34 am
loanrangie

Naki Blake wrote:
I brought a kit from 4x4airseals.com
Posted from England to New Zealand
Very good step by step tutorial videos on their website or YouTube. Easy job to refurbish the compressor.
Hardest part of whole job was undoing top bolt which attaches compressor to car, its on a difficult angle.
Cheers Blake

I cut a slot in the top hole in the bracket so you can screw the bolt in a bit then slide the bracket in then do it up.

Post #235646321st Dec 2023 6:35 am
reb78

Well, nearly a thousand miles over Christmas and the suspension behaved. I will order a set of o rings for the entire system though and do the valve blocks at the same time. Bigger problem was an intermittently sticky front brake caliper!

Post #235703728th Dec 2023 12:57 pm
reb78

Is this the kit I need to do everything that I can service on a Hitachi compressor?

https://4x4airseals.com/product/hitachi-ai...repair-kit

I only want to take it apart once, so if there is anything missing I will get that too.

I will do all the valve blocks again as it is slowly sinking over a few days too.

Finally - whats the best way to get all of the dessicant dust out of the system? Just a simple case of disconnect at each end and blow pipes through with a compressor?

Post #235856611th Jan 2024 11:55 am
Naki Blake

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

That looks like the kit I got from 4x4 Airseals.

Before ordering, I recommend searching on YouTube for 4x4 air seals. They have a good collection of step by step videos on how to refurbish your compressor and other jobs like valve block o rings replacement.

As Loanrangie suggests, once you've got your compressor off the vehicle, cut a slot in the top bolt bracket, so that you can get the bolt in first by a few turns, and then slide your compressor in place when reinstalling it, and tightening. That's a great tip from him.

Some guys upgrade the air line connectors, while they have the compressor removed from the vehicle. Search GStuart's posts. Gary may comment (he is a really helpful guy on this forum).

Re blowing out the lines of old dessicant, I didn't do this. I changed the dessicant, although it looked fine. My pump was running too long and overheating, so that's why I refurbished mine (at approx 148,000 km)

My mechanical knowledge, experience is limited, but I found this an easy job following the YouTube videos.

Post #235864912th Jan 2024 12:11 am
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

reb78 wrote:
Is this the kit I need to do everything that I can service on a Hitachi compressor?

https://4x4airseals.com/product/hitachi-ai...repair-kit

I only want to take it apart once, so if there is anything missing I will get that too.

I will do all the valve blocks again as it is slowly sinking over a few days too.

Finally - whats the best way to get all of the dessicant dust out of the system? Just a simple case of disconnect at each end and blow pipes through with a compressor?

Hi mate

Hope ur good

Personally when I rebuilt my entire suspension it was similar as the dessicant was throughout the entire system , alas had been so neglected from previous ownership , the air dryer was virtually full of dust and not beads

got some small car vacuum accessories that u can adapt down to 6mm pushfit to connect to a compressor or hoover

Suppose I Thought of the system with the struts acting like a Concertina so as the suspension goes down and then back up it pulls the dessicant in and back out again as it travels around the entire system, so just used the combination of an external compressor and vacuum cleaner

Was also very easy to use an external compressor to put a small amount of air into each strut and then allow it to drop down to access , surprising how much crap came out of the airline , , then raise it back up again and replace the axle stands , airlines to valve blocks all disconnected to allow any junk to hopefully come out

After I had cleaned everything the really bad ones I didn’t bother with , i simply removed the entire affected line and replaced it, knew then it would be completely clean , but made sure I done that at the end

after rebuilding my valve blocks and before refitting them I vacuum test each one , alas they all failed as they were still letting by , so had to replace all x 3 , along with both front struts , air tank and compressor , along with every Voss connector

Hope that helps and also included the link of the connections I replaced the Voss ones with , considerably cheaper , see Voss are around £17.00 each

https://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/6...2875-p.asp

Plus not wishing to try and teach u how to suck eggs but when using the new style brass fittings u only need a few wraps of PTFE on the threads

For O rings , plumbers silicone grease is very good

Hope that helps and makes sense

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by gstuart on 12th Jan 2024 10:21 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #235866512th Jan 2024 10:14 am
gstuart

Naki Blake wrote:
That looks like the kit I got from 4x4 Airseals.

Before ordering, I recommend searching on YouTube for 4x4 air seals. They have a good collection of step by step videos on how to refurbish your compressor and other jobs like valve block o rings replacement.

As Loanrangie suggests, once you've got your compressor off the vehicle, cut a slot in the top bolt bracket, so that you can get the bolt in first by a few turns, and then slide your compressor in place when reinstalling it, and tightening. That's a great tip from him.

Some guys upgrade the air line connectors, while they have the compressor removed from the vehicle. Search GStuart's posts. Gary may comment (he is a really helpful guy on this forum).

Re blowing out the lines of old dessicant, I didn't do this. I changed the dessicant, although it looked fine. My pump was running too long and overheating, so that's why I refurbished mine (at approx 148,000 km)

My mechanical knowledge, experience is limited, but I found this an easy job following the YouTube videos.

Bless u and very kind of u say

However it’s all credit to the wonderful members here that have helped me beyond belief gain knowledge of the awesome vehicles and for that I’m eternally grateful Bow down

Thks again

Post #235866612th Jan 2024 10:18 am
reb78

Thanks for the pointers Gary.

O ring rebuild kits are all on order.

Odd thing I noticed today is that if I am stationary and raise the suspension, then lower it, the front will lower rapidly, but the rear then gets stuck and goes into extended mode. If I hit the switch again to lower immediately, it drops to the selected height. Same thing if going from normal height to access mode.

All of these errors have followed the floods from early December and a fair bit of wading. I might disconnect all of the electrics I can find and clean them all out to see if that helps at all

I am still going to replace all the o rings and clean out the system as this hasnt been done yet.

Post #235989324th Jan 2024 3:28 pm
gstuart

Hi mate

Wonder if it’s a combination of a bad connection or silica dust going around and Into the valve blocks , including blocking the compressor exhaust due to restricted dryer filters

Indeed great idea of clearing the system out and giving the compressor a good overhaul

At least when u look into the dryer ur know if the valve blocks will also need cleaning

All the best to u and all goes well

Post #235990024th Jan 2024 5:26 pm
reb78

Thanks Gary.
You confirm my thinking there. I will get it on the ramp and do the lot. Will check the height sensors properly whilst it is up there too.

All good here thanks!

Post #235992324th Jan 2024 8:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >