Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Alpaca vs. Ebony on Silver HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I'm not a fan of the beige interior in the D3 / LR3 (due to the contrast with some of the brackets and trims plus the fact that the expossed leather on the back of the rear seats gets grubby, esp when folded) but if the colour of the carpet is putting you off why not change it?

There are many good companies in the US that can fit any colour carpet you like. It's cheaper than you think too. The black carpet from LR can also be ordered as a spare part, as can the plastic bits of trim. Not to sure how expensive the OEM will be though. Aftermarket fitting may be the way ahead.

I know most cars in the States are bought from dealer stock, but can you not order the carpet as a factory fit from LR as a special order?

Post #4443826th Feb 2006 7:46 am
Mark D

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

Robbie,

That's a good idea with the carpet - I'll probably just stick with the ebony interior to keep it simple. However, if I change my mind and get alpaca, having the carpet changed to black by an upholestery shop would be a great idea (and one that I'd never thought of otherwise).

Incidentally, while at the LR dealership yesterday, I happened to look in a Range Rover that had blue carpet. That might not sound particularly good looking, but let me tell you, it looked great. It was kind of subtle blue like in pile clothing. From afar, it almost looked black. Those Range Rovers are too nice - I have a 2000 model RR, but I'd be afraid to take one of the newer ones off road for fear of dinking it up.

Mark D

Post #4444226th Feb 2006 9:43 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
knightma

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've now had my D3 SE (Zermatt Silver/Alpaca leather) for a month. I chose the Alpaca over the Ebony as I liked the contrast between the Alpaca seats, black carpets/dash and silver exterior. I've not been disappointed it looks superb. My only worry is that it will not age well and will start to show the dirt. Even after one month it's possible to see the first signs of it going a bit grubby.

Post #4446026th Feb 2006 12:57 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I agree that the ebony is a little dull, but if the car has the alpine roof than I am sure it will feel light and airy enough. I am more than happy with mine. I wish they did a grey option similar to Audi/VW though.

I am still impressed you understood the word colour rather than color. All those years at med school and all those medical journals must have paid off!

Post #4446126th Feb 2006 12:58 pm
Mark D

I completely agree with your assertion that a grey interior would be great if LR offered one. Years ago I bought a (very) used Range Rover (it had close to 100K miles on it) and it had a great color / colour combo; it was Epson Green with a grey leather interior. That grey had held up very well with it's previous owner, and I found it to likewise be very durable and stain resistant. Even though the grey with green might seemingly sound like a darker combo, the vehicle always felt open and airy. Of course, those first generation Range Rovers could really almost be a black / black combo and still feel airy owing to all the window space and the way the cabins were designed.

Mark D

Post #4447026th Feb 2006 3:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mike

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Seems I'm a little too late with this post, but I'm gonna respond anyways as I can only talk aboujt my Disco 3 until it arrives mid May.

I've opted for the zamezi silver with alpacca interior. Yes it does come with black carpets but I've also gone for the rubber mats as they're easier to clean.

The dealer actually tried to get me to go for an ebony interir and streesed this is not the recommended combination.

However all the TV ads show silver with beige and I think it looks great.

Let us know how you get on Mark and would love to see pics when you get some

Cheers

Post #4458827th Feb 2006 12:58 pm
Pelyma

England 

I have silver and alpacca for over a year now and I think it still looks best. Sure it occasionally gets dirty but nothing has marked it yet. I regularly drive in muddy wellies and boots as well as muddy over trousers but the leather shrugs it off. I clean it with Gliptone leather treatments, their waterproof conditioner and then the cleaner and it looks great.

Black seats, black dash etc is too depressing to me, I like a contrast - but hey ho each to their own Wink
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4458927th Feb 2006 1:04 pm
Mark D

Mike and Pelyma,

I would definitely choose your color combos if we could get black carpet with the alpaca interior here in the USA. Unfortunately, we get beige carpets with our alpaca interiors. Do you guys think you'd still get the alpaca if it only came with beige carpets?

I vacilate on this decision. After speaking with the sales manager at our local LR dealership, he (temporarily) convinced me that the black interior was a lot better from a stain standpoint. He's an avid hunter (like myself), but he prefers the ebony because of the resiliance of the carpet. He and I both agreed that we'd prefer the alpaca if it came with black carpets.

Mark

Post #4459227th Feb 2006 1:36 pm
Pelyma

England 

Mark I shoot (we hunt with hounds in the UK and shoot with guns, or we did until politicians got in the way) and provided you have good rubber mats (the LR ones are excellent) you will have no problems. I don't use seat covers and I have had even deep red Cotswold mud all over the seats and its come off the next day.

My sport comes first so if I need to jump in quick I don't think I must clean myself off and most the people you give lifts too don't either so my car is regularly plastered in side and out. I work in a suit so it has to be clean during the week to start the cycle again. So I wouldn't be afraid of Alpaca, grey would be an excellent colour though if they did it!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4459827th Feb 2006 2:45 pm
Sonic3d

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have Buckingham blue with Beige leather and it looks very nice. It makes the interior feel a lot roomier than the black because its lighter.
 I can resist everything except TEMPTATION
Can Am Commander 1000XT
Seen the light and bought a 4Motion T5 

Post #4460127th Feb 2006 3:33 pm
Mark D

Pelyma,

You have the black, though, right?

Mark D

Post #4473728th Feb 2006 1:46 am
hunttheshunt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

My wife has an 04 Disco 3 in Buckingham Blue with the Ebony leather. I regularly take it off road shooting, It gets pretty grubby, but that is nothing compared with how it looks after a week with my three kids and a pushchair. Unbelievable!!

I ordered the LR overmats which are superb and the seat covers too. The only problem I get is the backs of the front seats do get grubby and it is hard to shift. Otherwise it cleans up well and I'm glad I went for the Ebony.

A friend of mine who also shoots has Zambezi with the Alpaca but it gets very dirty and looks quite grubby already and his is an 05 55 plate.

Up to you, but I think Ebony, boring to some, is the right choice.

Post #4482328th Feb 2006 3:22 pm
Mark D

Dear Gang,

Sorry for dragging up an old topic, but I wanted to see if anyone had anything new to mention in these regards. I had ordered a 2006 Silver LR3 with the Ebony leather, but I cancelled the order as I suspected that the 2007 would once again have lumbar support here in the USA. My suspicions were correct and I'm now ready to order a silver 2007 LR3.

Do those of you who mentioned having the Alpecia leather still feel that it looks good? Those with Ebony leather still happy?

How much hotter does the Ebony get in the summer compared to the Alpecia?

TIA,
Mark D

Post #676342nd Jul 2006 6:16 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Ebony = Clean & functional
Alpaca = grubby & (slightly) more attractive in a contrast sort of way
All down to personal choice in the end
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #676362nd Jul 2006 7:50 am
nikko

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Don't forget the wood trim

I ordered the extra wood trim and (IMHO) it goes really well with the Alpaca leather.

N
 TD6 HSE, Bonetti Grey/Alpaca  
Post #676382nd Jul 2006 10:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >