Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Alarm / Security System
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
adam

United Kingdom 

Off topic but....
VLM Airways use Fokker F50's (?) - cannot believe they are 10+ old ? - use regularly to London
 Now Golf GTI PP, 7 speed DSG.
Ex D3 and D4 

Post #839439th Sep 2006 12:53 am
Beaker

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

adam: yes, those are great planes...
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Post #8615718th Sep 2006 9:14 am
Beaker

After some thinking my dealer is now convinced that my false interior alarms are caused by wiring problems, and proposes to install new wiring to bypass the old wires. Shocked

Is there any merit in their proposal? I'd like to know more about this before they start taking my car apart and go messing with my wiring.... Crying or Very sad
 Zermatt Silver 2006 Zermatt Silver TDV6 'SE' Auto, Mantec sump guard, Frontrunner roofrack, Lightforce 140s, split charge system and... a Jetboil.
Powered by  

Last edited by Beaker on 18th Sep 2006 2:09 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #8616118th Sep 2006 9:20 am
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I would have thought "bypass" means removing the old arteries to make for the new! On the few occasions I have had to look at the wiring, it seems to be a bit of a tight fit (no room for duplicate loom) and what happens when the artery passes through a gromet? Sounds more like "out with the old and in with the new", rather than "bypass".
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #8628618th Sep 2006 2:05 pm
Beaker

You could be right, but anyway, I am a bit concerned about this operation. I seems a bit invasive to me, with the potential of causing more problems once they start messing with the wiring. Am I wrong on this, could a dealer safely do this? Confused
And is there any real chance that this action will actually fix my interior alarm troubles? Sad
Powered by  

Post #8629618th Sep 2006 2:16 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

afaik this may not mean new physical wires just swapping to one of of the spares in the wiring loom.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #8631018th Sep 2006 2:44 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

what spares???
Can't see why they would want to change the loom, if the DTC's are indicating a signal from the sensors, surely this means valid communication Confused
Have they replaced the sensor & confirmed you have the correct alarm sounder?
It may be worth disconnecting the plug on the sounder ( the alarm will default to using the vehicle horns) and see if the alarm still activates, if it does, then it is a sensor (or CJB) issue, if not, replace the sounder

Post #8631918th Sep 2006 3:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Beaker

The sensor was replaced last week, and the correct sounder device has also been confirmed.

I don't really understand how this all works: is the connection between the sensor and the CJB using analog signalling, or is it on a digital system bus? In the first case I can understand that faulty wiring may cause the alarm to go off. If it is a digital bus, I can imagine that losing communication with the sensor may or may not cause an alarm, but wouldn't you then see loss of communications with other devices on the bus too? Confused

I am a bit reluctant to disconnect the sounder, first because I don't want to fiddle with this while the dealer is trying to fix it, and more important: most of the time the alarm goes of in the night, and while the sounder is not very loud, the horns will probably annoy the neigbours very much... Mad

Would a problem with the sounder actually register in the maintenace logs 'reasons for alarm' as caused by the interior alarm sensor? Because that is what I saw on that fancy laptop with the dealer.

BTW, what does 'DTC' stand for?

If I understand how this is supposed to work I will talk to the dealer before they start messing with my wire looms to make sure that their action will make sense.
But if I don't let them do their proposed 'repair', am I then on my own to get this fixed? Crying or Very sad