Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 4

Airbag light - The fun begins
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ijwoo1

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Airbag light - The fun begins

I picked up a spanking new D4 XS on Thursday and less than 24hours and 150miles later I have an airbag light permanently on Rolling Eyes

I know a lot of new cars have initial niggles, so I hope this is just one of those things and not the sign of things to come.

A couple of other observations; The halogen lights point very high, the only means of adjustment appears to be on the light unit itself and the steering wheel is slightly off centre when going straight, but otherwise I am very pleased. The journey back from the dealer was a very relaxed drive. It even managed 30.2 mpg on a mostly motorway journey, which was a pleasant surprise.

I've checked the wires under the seats and to the doors and can see nothing loose. I'm going to try my luck turning up on-spec at my local approved service agent to see if they can help. Perhaps this will teach me for not buying from my local dealer - although there was good reason for not doing so.

Post #69666424th Sep 2010 7:30 pm
Comanche

Wales 

On the D3 theres an airbag light reset button behind the passenger air vent if thats any help
 I started off with nothing and Ive still got most of it left.  
Post #69669424th Sep 2010 8:28 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Re: Airbag light - The fun begins

ijwoo1 wrote:
The halogen lights point very high, the only means of adjustment appears to be on the light unit itself

This doesn't sound hopeful for the replacement light assemblies waiting at my dealer to fix this feature in mine.

Post #69670524th Sep 2010 9:06 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Comanche wrote:
On the D3 theres an airbag light reset button behind the passenger air vent if thats any help
Shocked Are you referring to the key-switch to disable the passenger air-bag? Confused The End  
Post #69673524th Sep 2010 10:24 pm
Comanche

Wales 

No, if you remove the air vent surround there is a reset button located at the rear of the upper glove box, when my mate fitted a new lower glove box the airbag light came on, he reset it via this switch.

Been thinking about it and more than likely the passenger airbag was disconnected while he was working on it and he probably just re connected it Embarassed Embarassed
Best I stick to putting fuel in and letting the grown ups do the maintainance
 I started off with nothing and Ive still got most of it left.  
Post #69674624th Sep 2010 11:20 pm
ijwoo1

Day 3

Tomorrow will be the third day the car will have been in the workshop. A new part has now been ordered but it sounded more like an act of desperation than a confident diagnosis.

So it is rapidly approaching the point that the car will have spent longer in the workshop than in my drive!

It has certainly taken the shine off getting a new car.

Post #69789328th Sep 2010 7:23 pm
ijwoo1

My car is still in the workshop. The fault has been traced to the central SRS management module, however the garage cannot program the new module and LR seem to be incapable of giving them the right patches to load !

5 days off the road so far, which is longer than I had it on my drive.

The best bit though, the Freelander courtesy car I picked up today went in to limp home mode within the first mile.

I tried to register my disatisfaction with LR Customer Service, but I may as well have been in a Little Britain "Computer says no" sketch, because they couldnt log my call because my car doesnt exist in the database.

Quite brilliant. You really couldnt make it up.

Post #6989911st Oct 2010 7:01 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

LR CS worse than useless......their answer is usually "we'll call the dealer to find out the progress" Well, I can call the dealer to find out if the car is ready or they are floundering around in the dark replacing random components and modules without any sensible help from the manufacturer and no clue whatsover how to fix my £55K car. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #6994293rd Oct 2010 2:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Govette

Australia 

If it makes you feel any better (doubtful) LR are not the only ones making this much mess of their vehicles. A friend of mine just bought a $300,000+ Mack truck, which proceeded to break down with electrical issues within sight of the dealer. After dicking about back and forth for several months the main australian Mack techo's borrowed it to check for themselves. They stripped it right down to bare chassis and found 110 build faults, mostly electrical connections, badly earthed ecu's etc. (Sound familier?) Unfortunately, IMO, we now live in an age where although our vehicles are designed (in LR case) by genious with a real passion for what they do, they are built by a generation of idiots who couldn't care less about the quality of their work, as long as they get a pay cheque, just for turning up.

Post #6995834th Oct 2010 6:17 am
ijwoo1

I fluctuate between anger and mild resignation. I knew what I was buying into, at least my head did. My heart was saying "How bad can it be?", "JD power figures are distorted", "It'll be fine", "People only post on forums to complain"

The problem is the love affair is over before it started, I'm already thinking about lining things up to be able to reject the car, if things carry on as they are.

Post #6997924th Oct 2010 7:17 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

It's completely true that it's not just LandRover, we have all kinds of vehicles on fleet and none of them are trouble free. My Cooper S had a really bad rattle from the valve gear with 1200 miles on the clock.......Roadside Tech says "oh yes sir there's a problem with the timing chain tensioners" Dealer says "we've never seen that before".

My problem is not really with the cars, it's about what all concerned do to make them right when there is a fault.

I think it's both disgusting and ridiculous that the manufacturers wash their hands of the problems and tell you it's up to the dealers to sort out, usually with little or no guidance from either the tech team or the people that designed the car.

I have honestly never found a franchise where the dealers actually provided decent aftersales service. I have owned vehicles of most makes with the exception of Skoda, Toyota and Lexus, and none of the dealers were any good really. Probably the worst was Mercedes.

Caught between the manufacturers not giving a damn once you have the car, and the ineptitude of most aftersales teams.

I have said on this forum before that people tend to over react with actions like rejection and solicitors letters, but in your case I would be handing the car back immediately. Truly and genuinely un-acceptable.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #6998224th Oct 2010 8:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ijwoo1

It's back

After a total of 11 days in the workshop, I now have it back. It eventually got escalated to LR engineering with supposedly the head of the dept involved. It appears that no one, including LR engineering, knew what software needed to be loaded onto the new module.

I wont bore you all with every little detail of the experience that annoyed the hell out of me, but suffice to say no one from the dealer, the service agent or LR covered themselves in glory.

Now it's well known that you can get away with a pretty shonky product if the customer service still manages to make the customer feel loved. It's incredible that LR have done the hard bit, they have a good product but they destroy all that with a poor customer experience. I really dont care at all that the car went wrong within 24hrs of collecting it, that is not the issue.

Anyway, enough moaning it is great to have the car back and Im looking forward to the complimentary LRE tickets by way of an apology - although I'm guessing pigs will fly before that happens.

I promise to post back with more positive experiences just to show I dont only post the bad stuff and I'll post pics up once I have cleaned it - yes, the garage didnt event valet it before giving it back Smile

Post #7015809th Oct 2010 11:33 am
anglefire

England 

To be honest free LRE (1/2 day experience) tickets are not exactly hard to get - I entered the competition on the LR site and went for 1/2 in Cheshire - and if I'm honest its why I have a D3 now, but when I bought it I was given 2 more tickets!

Mine has been into the deals for 6 days so far since 14th September and I wont see it until Monday. The forst two day visit was for a service and to replace 3 wheel bearing and sort the gearbox leak.

It was in for 3 and the gearbox wasn't done.

It went back in last week for 2 more days to do the gearbox. Wasn't ready after 3 days due to incorrectly supplied seals (Apparently) and now it will be Monday night.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #7016219th Oct 2010 2:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >