DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Air Suspension Fusible Link
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jamo

Australia 
Air Suspension Fusible Link

Hello tech gurus! Bow down Bow down

I got a persistent "Suspension Warning" today and have been locked at Normal height. Crying or Very sad

I just checked the fuse box and the 60A Fusible Link for the Air Suspension has blown. Confused

Any ideas as to the possible cause??

I'll have to call Perth tomorrow and have some posted down. I'm up there in two weeks for a service and to have the new dampers fitted (if they arrive in time), so I won't be able to have the faultcodes checked until then. (I've got faultmate sv, but it's about as useful as t*ts on a bull!)

TIA Thumbs Up
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2955945th May 2008 1:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Rob Bruce

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Maya GoldDiscovery 3

Ahhh Shocked Never thought of fuseable links for the spairs box, seems they would be good to carry.
Jamo, must be a short circuit somewhere, wire rubbed through touching somewhere Idea
Worth a look before attempting a temprey repair Exclamation
Havent looked at the fuse page but usually fuseable links are fairly high amperage and it takes a major short circuit to blow.

Rob

Post #2955985th May 2008 2:11 pm
Jamo

Australia 

I'll have to check out the compressor tonight.

I've been told most similar such failures are due to the compressor failure. This ones ~100,000km old, but I would have expected it to last longer than that. Hopefully I can find a chafed wire as a new compressor is $1,080. Or maybe there's a dirt build up.

I was hoping someone here may have experienced a similar issue with shorting of the compressor loom.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2957316th May 2008 8:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Jamo
Was the compressor chasnged at the 'ehancement program"?
If not you may have valid claim for new one, known issue with early build.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #2957526th May 2008 8:39 am
Jamo

Australia 

Hello Caver,

Mine had the original build compressor, which completely died at the end of 2005. I had it replaced under warranty with the third build compressor, which I believe is the current one. So when i had the enhancement, this should already have been enhanced so to speak. 8)

I'm taking the side rail off tonight to check the compressor out. I've got a suspicion that there may be some corrosion from when I got stuck in a lake just before christmas. Crying or Very sad
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2958416th May 2008 12:34 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Oh well! Confused

The slider's off and there's no visible problem with the comressor or loom thereon. The connectors all looked clean, but I cleaned them again. So signs of corrosion anywhere.

So it's either a one-off Very Happy or the compressor's stuffed internally Big Cry or there's a problem elsewhere Confused water in the loom maybe or a shorting sensor? Confused Confused Confused
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2958566th May 2008 1:24 pm
catweasel

have you tested anywhere with a meter and is the link 10E. maybe check from the dead side of the link to earth with the relay removed from the BJB and then from the relay base (pin 1) to earth and see what you get.

Post #2958806th May 2008 2:56 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Hello Catweasel,

I'm a bit uneducated when it comes to vehicle electrics.

What does 10E mean?

Do you mean remove the R7 relay?

My meter tests volts, but is too low reading for amps. Do I need an amp meter?
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2958956th May 2008 3:41 pm
catweasel

to read amps you would need to include the meter in the cct and this is not neccesary anyway , volts will do fine. according to the cct diags, 10e is the link in question. will send you something in the mail Wink

Post #2958976th May 2008 3:45 pm
Jamo

Australia 

Thanks! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2959026th May 2008 3:50 pm
Jamo

Australia 

catweasel wrote:
have you tested anywhere with a meter and is the link 10E. maybe check from the dead side of the link to earth with the relay removed from the BJB and then from the relay base (pin 1) to earth and see what you get.

I checked and it was all 0.00/0.01 volts from the dead side of the link to earth and from the socket for Pin 1 on the relay.

The other side of the link showed 12.54V off and 14.54V on at idle. same with the one of the other plugs for the relay.

Does this mean anything??
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2960687th May 2008 7:11 am
catweasel

unfortunately no it means it seems to be in order which might suggest something has gone pop. does the compressor smell a bit like when an electric motor has burnt out or are the bearings ok.

Post #2961157th May 2008 9:36 am
Jamo

Australia 

I hope it's not the compressor, but it's certainly looking that way.

I couldn't smell anything anf didn't pull it apart so don't know about the bearings.

The new fusible links should be here tomorrow. I'll put one in and see what happens.

I'll be disappointed if it's the compressor (particularly since I'm out of warranty and will have to shell out myself). It's the upgraded build and should surely last longer than 100000km. When i rang the dealer to get the links sent down, the foreman said the only ones that had burnt the link where ones where the owner had used the compressor housing as a jacking point.

Oh well, cest la vie!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2961947th May 2008 1:19 pm
catweasel

if the motor has burnt out, look at getting it rewound as it sounds like it would be cheaper than a new one but lets see what happens first with the new links Thumbs Up . might be an idea to have a second set of eyes and ears when you fire it up to hear for pops etc.

Post #2962067th May 2008 1:49 pm
Jamo

Australia 

I managed to get faultmate working.

It gave me a 'Short circuit to ground or open" fault on the suspension. Doesn't mean much.

Interestingly there were also four intermittent short circuits recorded on the CJB.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #2962437th May 2008 2:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >