Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Air Suspension to Coil Suspension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Trygg Havet

Air Suspension to Coil Suspension

Hello,

I'm planning a circumnavigation (highways, national roads, earth track and dunes) - so I would like to know if it is "technically" possible to replace the 4 air suspension with terrain response of a Discovery 4 3,0TDV6 HSE, by 4 heavy duty coil suspension without terrain response with heavy duty springs such as Old Man Emu or King Springs ?

If it is possible, will the transformation affect the handling of the car especially in case of emergency braking ?

The problem is that I've not yet bought the car. I first want to know if the planned transformation are possible !

Thanks for your answers !!

Alexander

Post #60170711th Feb 2010 8:03 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Your best bet would be to try to factory order a coiler D4, we saw some being made when we did a factory tour so they do exist. That was a large order though so don't know how you'd fare ordering just one
 The End  
Post #60181311th Feb 2010 10:18 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I would follow Slimer's advice and should you succeed please welcome to exclusive coiler club Smile
cheers

Post #60182111th Feb 2010 10:28 pm
Trygg Havet

Thanks to you for your answers !

So is it possible to factory order a 3.0 TDV6 HSE with coil springs ?

The fact is that I'm living in Germany : LR sells there a LR 2,7TDV6S with coil springs, but many option I've chosen on the HSE don't exist on the S such as Bi-Xenon Light, Rear park Distance Control, ...

Thanks to your for your further infos and answer !!

"Trygg Havet" Alex

Post #60193612th Feb 2010 7:56 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If you are going to give publicity to Land rover then maybe they will be more helpful.
You could go with the Matzcar sytem on the air version. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #60199712th Feb 2010 10:30 am
grzesiul

many on here put Xeons on coiler and keep the halogen lights for MOT only should work fine

other goodies as on HSE I do not really miss it following the rule - less complicated less things would go wrong

Post #60202412th Feb 2010 11:02 am
grzesiul

PDC front and rear is easy to retrofit and might cost less than factory option

as well as other bits you can fit to the basic car to upgrade it...

Post #60202612th Feb 2010 11:04 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Italian Police had some done ISTR Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #60203212th Feb 2010 11:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Trygg Havet

Thanks to all for your answers,

I agree with you "simple is better", but the "simple" version is a 2,7 TDV6 : is it enough to carry 2 persons + gear (as well as auxiliary fuel tank, and water tank) in remote areas ? I'll also remove back seats and other stuff to minimize the weight of the car. Coil springs will be improved with Heavy Duty King Springs to reach the off-road height of the air suspension.

You said it is possible to fit genuine PDC front and rear, is it possible to find and fit the Bi Xenon lights and fog lights from a LR Disco 4 HSE, and other genuine option from the HSE as well ?

As I said before, I'm german, so Matzker is a good option to prepare the car ... Thanks. In Germany, the LR Discovery 4 "simple version" is a 2,7TDV6 S with a 2,7L Diesel, coil springs and six-speed manuel gearbox. My only problem with this version : is a 2,7TDV6 engine enough, compared to a 3,0TDV6 - but with Air Springs ...

Thanks to all for your future answers !!

"Trygg Havet" Alex

Very Happy P.S. : Support Akis and Vula around the world driving a LR Disco 3 !! http://www.theworldoffroad.com/theworldoffroad/en/index.php

Post #60207812th Feb 2010 11:58 am
grzesiul

2.7 + Allisport intercooler + large bore exhaust + BAS power map and believe me you will have even more power and quite good economy compared to new 3.0 TDV6 so that should be no problem

HD KingSpring might be to tough unless you carry tons of "garbage" with you all the time and according to the dude I spoken at KS std ones are at least 30% stiffer and they are progressive and as MRH proven during last african trip they do the job nicely

Xeons - halogen to normal non-aaptives is straight 5 minutes swap, adaptive Xeons can not be fitted to coiler

Post #60211212th Feb 2010 12:20 pm
Trygg Havet

Thanks for your answer,

I've chosen HD King Springs due to the weight of the gear and car modification : Kaymar rear bumper, 4 spare wheels, auxiliary fuel tank, water tank, rear modular construction to store food and gear (mainly climbing and mountaineering gear, MTB Biking), as well as sleeping and cooking gear (tent, stove, refrigerator). On the roof, expedition tent, fuel tank, VHF and SAT communication and LR spare parts. On the front, genuine LR off-road accessories (lights, bumper and winch) and in the cockpit, GPS systems and computers.

Due to all the weight, I've chosen the HD King Springs. Moreover, The World Off Road Expedition has tested such Springs on a long term circumnavigation.

For the engine, you convinced me to choose the 2,7 TDV6 Engine with the modification you specified (I'll tall about with my mechanic). I think, I'll also fit some more genuine option to the 2,7TDV6 S Manuel Box gear, such as fog light (I don't even think hit the road in remote areas without them), non-adaptive Xenon lights, rear and front PDC, and so on.

If you have further informations or ideas, thanks to you, Thumbs Up

"Trygg Havet" Alex

Post #60225412th Feb 2010 3:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >