Air sus compressor refurb

Hi all,

I've got a problem after refurbing my Hitachi compressor in my 08 GS manual D3

I had my fault codes read before and they were;
C1A13-64 pressure does not decrease when venting Gallery
C1A18-64 pressure increases to rapidly when filling reservoir
C1131-92 air supply component failure - performance or incorrect operation
C1A20-64 pressure increases to slow when filling reservoir

It was suggested that all things led to the compressor overheating, so I went for the full monty refurb kit with the aluminium air dryer cap!
Fitting it all went quite smoothly, a couple of hours on the dining room table with a trip or two to the vice!
So it's had the piston wear ring and top seal, and all rubber seals in that area, air dryer has had new desiccant with all new seals and wadding pad things etc along with the sexy new Ali lid.

First startup after refitting saw the compressor kick in a couple of seconds after startup, it ran for about 20 seconds then stopped, but no lights up. I let the car idle for another couple of minutes, then selected the raised height. It started to rise albeit slowly, but after about 20-30 seconds the back dropped a fraction then 'Bing' the dreaded sus light came on. It returned itself to normal height. As I hadn't put the bottom cover on I thought I would check the physical temperature of the compressor, the motor area was warm, but not overly, but the piston sleeve was almost too hot to touch.
Since then which is about a week, the sus fault sign comes up after about 10 seconds of running, along with the 'Bing'! So the compressor can't be overheating as its not running for long enough? There is a slight difference in the warnings on the info panel though, before it would say " Suspension fault - normal height only" now it tells me "special operations off" before the Bing and the fault light coming on. I did notice on the read out from the fault codes that I also have; U01132-87 (2B) Lost communication with ride level control module - Bus signal/message failure
Could this be anything to do with the problem?

Any help gratefully received, I haven't had the codes read again as it costs me £40 a time and along with £65 for the refurb kit, I don't want to throw good money after bad. Also my hunch is that it's not the compressor now, so spending £400-£500 on a new one won't solve the problem.
Many thanks
Jeff

Post #20592457th Jun 2019 10:05 am
Globetrotter448

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

When you did the refurb, did you do the small exhaust valve and are all pipes fully home.

Post #20594518th Jun 2019 8:22 am
Thesouthwester

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi
Thanks for your reply. No the exhaust valve parts didn't come as part of the refurb kit so they haven't been changed. The guy who supplies the refurb kit can also supply the exhaust valve bits, so I'll get some ordered up.
Re the pipes being fully home, I actually got back in to the compressor box the other night to check and the larger 10mm hose at the back of the compressor nearest the rear wheel, had slightly slipped out. On closer inspection, the brass pipe support insert was a good 10mm up inside the pipe, so I managed to put a piece of stiff wire up inside the pipe and drag it back down to the bottom of the pipe. This has definitely improved things, as the compressor will now run for about a minute from startup before cutting out.
Reading around a few other posts on here, and googling my fault codes, I think your right with the exhaust valve, also the valve block that sits in the compressor box can be a culprit, along with the front and rear valve blocks. I'm going to start with the exhaust valve bits and go from there.
Thanks again!

Post #20599639th Jun 2019 9:07 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've just refurbished my Hitachi (with the same or similar kit) and overhauled all the valve blocks with new seals.

On first start up I had a slow to raise message etc - when I checked for leaks with soapy water it turned out that the larger of the two air fittings on top of the aluminium cap was leaking.

It wasn't leaking from the pipe - the fitting itself wasn't tightened down. Once it was nipped up I've had no more problems.

Might be worth a double check?
 I see no ships........  
Post #206005610th Jun 2019 11:03 am
Thesouthwester

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks spider baby, I’ll check that too. My pipes going into that end of the air dryer don’t have any inserts in them but they are quite narrow I guess, is that normal? Also where did you get your block refurb kits from, and what was the job like?
Many thanks
Jeff

Post #206018910th Jun 2019 6:53 pm
SpiderBaby
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

As far as I recall there are no inserts in the dryer cap pipes. The leak I had was from the fitting itself - the 'O'ring needed compressing a touch.

I got the 'O' ring kit for the valve blocks from the same guy. It's not a difficult job to change them - the awkward part is getting the blocks off the car - front and middle are easy.

The front one I just took the wheel off, took out the lower retaining screws of the wheel liner and held it back with a bungee - gives plenty of access.

the middle one you just need to pop the lower cover of the compressor off - again easy and plenty of access.

The rear one is spare wheel out and wriggle inside - not easy for an old, fat bloke....

Obviously safety first with axle stands etc.
 I see no ships........  
Post #206034311th Jun 2019 10:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >