Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Air Shocks... Just All the same?? Opinions??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

started getting the drivers side strut out, got all the bolts undone by one, it’s the one right at the back on top of the strut

an irwin socket managed to get the other 2 x out but the back one is so tight it’s unreal

may i ask, any ideas plse getting this back nut off , short socket is no good, just can’t get the angle , doesn’t look like i can get to it from the top

any tips plse would be so appreciative plse

plus looks like the struts are at least 10 x years old

will finish off the dinotrol and intercooler hose as i have the inner arch out

many thks in advance Thumbs Up

Post #18990288th Jan 2018 6:11 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Can you get a combi spanner on that back nut ? Perhaps using another wrench, or some tubing to extend the moment of force Laughing Trust you have wire brushed the threads and applied penetrating fluid prior to ?
 D3 owned from new, P017 brake recall, BAS FBHIC, new FBH, LR013487 oil pump, new water pump. RRS front lower suspension arms. New suspension compressor/ relay. New Denso alternator. CuNifer rear brake pipes. New GKN rear propshaft. New HPFP belt & tensioner. New A/C Condenser.NO WARRANTY for many many years.  
Post #18990328th Jan 2018 6:28 pm
gstuart

hi DN

i did actually , with a small wire brush and put some plus gas on them a few days ago, even tried to link 2 x spanner's together but by christ it’s tight

tried short socket with a uj, maybe ur idea ref a combi spanner with a adjustable head might work

will have a look on ebay to see what’s available

had to stand on the breaker bar to get the bottom nut off

many thks once again, once i get that nut off i can drop the strut

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #18990358th Jan 2018 6:35 pm
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

A L..O..N..G (15mm iirc) ring spanner usually does the trick with a bit of back and forward motion and some WD40 or WHY

Might be cheaper/Better to get a full set as they are often more cost effective when bought in a set!
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #18990428th Jan 2018 6:59 pm
gstuart

Hi G cam

many thks , Thumbs Up

what about something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PRO-5pc-long-re...SwQS1aKWJR

have also put some more plus gas on it over night , looks as though someone has tried before as the nuts at the front were rounded off

when i get the strut out i can also finish off the dinotrol treatment

thks again and very helpful Thumbs Up

Post #18990498th Jan 2018 7:29 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

15mm socket and long extension down from the engine bay Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #18991018th Jan 2018 10:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gstuart

Hi Dm Thumbs Up

the heat shields must be in the way , for the life of me i couldn’t see a route down onto the top of the strut unless it’s easier to remove the aux battery tray and then remove the heat shields

thks again and will have another look , is that for both sides plse

Thumbs Up

Post #18991068th Jan 2018 10:47 pm
G_Cam

Scotland 2013 Discovery 3 3.0 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 3

gstuart wrote:
Hi G cam

many thks , Thumbs Up

have also put some more plus gas on it over night , looks as though someone has tried before as the nuts at the front were rounded off

Yip - thats exactly the ones I was thinking of... good price vs quality.. vs the amount of use they will get.

Good luck with it.... Let us all know how it goes Thumbs Up
 1 TR6 Rusting away quietly
1 FARR UTV SOLD
1 International Harvester SOLD
7 x D3 all SOLD
2 x D4 both SOLD
1 x Mrs D4 'Panther' SOLD
1 x Outlander van SOLD
1 continual stream of car parts and me living in the garage... 

Post #18992019th Jan 2018 10:51 am
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

For the passenger side you can get to the rearward bolt on the strut but on my 3.0L D4 you can’t get to the bolt on the drivers (RHS) from the engine bay. I was able to get a ratchet spanner onto mine and slowly get it out. It was the hardest nut of the lot to access though. Some say remove the inner guard to make accessing the rear but easier but I didn’t need to.
Might I suggest you put the other two nuts back on and tighten in case you’ve got the whole weight of the strut on that one nut making it even harder to undo?

Post #189951310th Jan 2018 12:34 am
gstuart

G_Cam wrote:
gstuart wrote:
Hi G cam

many thks , Thumbs Up

Yip - thats exactly the ones I was thinking of... good price vs quality.. vs the amount of use they will get.

Good luck with it.... Let us all know how it goes Thumbs Up

many thks and will indeed let u know how i get on

fingers crossed those long spanner’s turn up weds Thumbs Up

Post #189951710th Jan 2018 12:47 am
gstuart

DiscoJeffster wrote:
For the passenger side you can get to the rearward bolt on the strut but on my 3.0L D4 you can’t get to the bolt on the drivers (RHS) from the engine bay. I was able to get a ratchet spanner onto mine and slowly get it out. It was the hardest nut of the lot to access though. Some say remove the inner guard to make accessing the rear but easier but I didn’t need to.
Might I suggest you put the other two nuts back on and tighten in case you’ve got the whole weight of the strut on that one nut making it even harder to undo?

hi , that’s very helpful and most appreciated , many thks Thumbs Up

indeed has been a pig, just waiting for these longer spanner's and a set of ratchet spanner’s to turn up and can then start again , trouble is someone has also round the nut off, had to use an irwin socket on the others

i’ve left the bottom bolt in for now so after i undo the top nut it doesn’t drop , have just loosened it

fingers crossed getting the passenger side out may be a little easier, but going to also replace the intercooler hoses with some silicone ones whilst i’m there

when the strut is ready to come out i was thinking of using 2 x jacks, trolley on the wishbone and the scissor jack on the bottom of the strut so it doesn’t just drop down suddenly

i did fit a new front valve block and will also replace the voss connectors on the valve block and strut for some better brass pushfits

then lastly finish off doing the dinotrol where i’ve removed the inner wheel arch liner

thks again Thumbs Up

Post #189951910th Jan 2018 12:55 am
DiscoJeffster

I didn't find the wishbone moved at all - static tension of the bushes, but yes, the strut will come crashing down when you release the bottom bolt if not supported. I used a trolley jack under it, lowering it through the wishbone to get the air line down far enough to undo. My struts came with new voss connectors in the top, so all I had to do was undo the connector on the old one, unscrewing it from the strut (not easy to do with minimal movement and not wanting to stretch the pipe!), removing the small brass collet (there's a split in it, so prise it apart, it will split and fall apart), then you can slip off the old screw in voss connector. Reinserting for the new strut is simply pushing the pipe into the new voss connector down to the limit point of the pipe. All things I'm sure you know, but helpful for those who might not that haven't tackled this yet.

Post #189952810th Jan 2018 1:57 am
gstuart

many thks, is always helpful getting info as it may just be that small bit of info which helps considerably Thumbs Up

have got some brass pushfits for the struts to replace the voss connectors , had fun when i first saw them when i replaced the compressor , thought the pipe pushed into the white sleeving of the voss connector Whistle

looking at that back rounded nut i’m not sure yet if i will have to remove the air pipe first , to try and give me a little bit more room, got some brake line spanner’s , so should go over the pipe but will see more weds with these longer spanner’s

with them also being nyloc nuts and by christ they are tight , the struts are also the originals and think someone must have tried to replace them in the past by the nuts being round off

wasn’t sure about the jacks, ie if the wishbone would also drop but is great info

thks so much once again and fingers crossed can make some more progress and get this Censored strut out

Post #189953010th Jan 2018 2:22 am
DiscoJeffster

So I found that there is a lot of corrosion on the threads and undoing the bolt was extremely difficult to the point i thought the threat might damage. For the subsequent ones I wire brushed the exposed thread on the three top bolts from every angle and applied WD40 before attempting to undo them. The difference was noticeable.

Post #189953110th Jan 2018 2:26 am
gstuart

hi

indeed used a small wire brush and applied some plus gas on the threads , the bottom bolt came undone easier than i thought , stood on a breaker bar

is always annoying knowing it’s just this one nut that i need to get undone and then the strut should then just come out

will see what happens with these spanner’s, hope i don’t have to try nut splitters or mole grips , time will tell

am hoping the passenger side will be abit easier , but then will attempt to replace the small turbo hose and expect a few scraped knuckles for that one Whistle

Post #189953210th Jan 2018 2:34 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >