Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Air intake / throttle body joint blowing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Desb

United Kingdom 2016 LR4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackLR4
Air intake / throttle body joint blowing

Dealer has replaced throttle body and adjoining elbow but continues to blow the joint apart. Boost readings are 2.8 bar max, apparently within spec. Anyone had the same issue with a fix?
Photos of joint correctly assembled and in the "blown" condition.

Post #199557527th Oct 2018 11:49 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have they replaced the front part or the whole assy, if they have not changed the Y piece then that might be the problem. as long as the spring clip and bolt are in the front part it should not move.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #199565328th Oct 2018 9:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Desb

Thanks Flack, yes problem remains despite the dealer changing throttle body, clip, O ring, the mating elbow and the hose that feeds the elbow.
The single bolt is in place. I am intrigued by the moulded mounting feature on the elbow but nothing mounted to it. The dealer wants to utilise it but cannot do so without authority from Land Rover as it is still in warranty. See photo of 6k770 to the Lowe right, nothing attaches to this.
It only blows apart when towing our caravan that suggests to me we have an over pressure but dealer diagnostics is not picking this up, may be because the joint is failing first masking the real fault?
I have suggested to the dealer that the joint should be temporarily secured with a cable tie and then do a test run towing the caravan with diagnostics picking up the live data, to me this would indicate if an over boost is causing the issue.

Post #199574128th Oct 2018 12:55 pm
Desb

Looks like a solution has been found by replacing the mounting bracket 6c693.
All other attempts of replacing throttle body, elbow and air pipe proved fruitless.
As this issue only occurred when towing Landrover arranged for technician and data logger to test run 220 miles whilst towing. Turbo boost pressure was within limits indicating the issue was the weak joint.
Although this issue has taken six weeks to resolve the dealer supplied me with a Range Rover Velar and when I commented I was not able to use my caravan as the velar was not equipped for towing they changed it for a D5 HSE. Well impressed with the dealer customer care and I even received a call from Landrover during the test run to check all was going well.
I have read many negative stories about Landrover and or dealers, in my recent experience I can only say I have had exceptional service from both the dealer and Landrover.

Post #19984376th Nov 2018 9:50 pm
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I’m curious. I asked on another thread on this topic whether the bolt was installed and I believe you commented yes. Did you ever try and tighten it yourself? I wonder if the thread was stripped. Alternatively I wonder which of the bolts that hold the bracket in place we’re missing or stripped allowing the assembly to move.
Anyhow, cool, at least it’s resolved.

Post #19985007th Nov 2018 8:57 am
Desb

Yes, the single bolt was present at all times. I didn't have the opportunity to check myself as the car has been with the dealer throughout but after a previous road test where the joint had separated the technician dismantled the assembly to show me the detail of the fixings including the wire clip.
I don't believe there are any stripped threads and I have not seen if there are any physical differences to the new bracket which does seem to hold the whole assembly firmer than before.
It's still a puzzle to what caused the original bracket not to hold the joint in place. It was not disturbed at the first service (so I'm told) so maybe the fault will return in time.
Interestingly on the elbow which fits to the throttle body there is a moulded fixing point which is not utilised, apparently the same component is used in a Jaguar installation and it is used to hold a pipe clip in place which adds to the security. I'm going to run a sturdy cable tie through the fixing just for belt and braces.

Post #19985347th Nov 2018 12:12 pm
richdcarruthers

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thank you for this. Took me a whike to find this topic. Just had tge same happen to me. The air intake elbow blew off a bit and was pushing into the fan!.. Took clip out and refitted...so far so good...if persists I will replace 6c696.
 Its not a scratch, its a scar!  
Post #204566413th Apr 2019 3:57 pm
richdcarruthers

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Thank you for this. Took me a while to find this topic. Just had tge same happen to me. The air intake elbow blew off a bit and was pushing into the fan!.. Took clip out and refitted...so far so good...if persists I will replace 6c696.
 Its not a scratch, its a scar!  
Post #204566513th Apr 2019 3:57 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >