Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Air hose failures: Risk
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jamo

Australia 

Sounds like it may not have been put together properly. Their stating that it's 'now to spec' infers that something wasn't put together corrrectly. After one does assume when one buys a new vehicle that it is indeed 'to spec'.

But Dude, when I lost my compressor, I had NO SUSPENSION at any corner! It was on the bump stops!

The car was good for 80kph (although not if you get car sick. It was rather like driving a 3tn bouncy castle). LR was aware that I had to drive her 400km to the dealer and they didn't seem to mind.

You have to weigh up the safety of the occupants over the potential for further damage to the vehicle. If occupant safety was at risk necessitating you driving it some distance in that state; and driving it would have caused further damage, then that's LR's problem not yours!
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #13394728th Feb 2007 10:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Curiouser and curiouser....
the pipes are pre-formed so it would be difficult to route incorrectly, they also have a spiral binding 'wear sleeve' at any potential friction points
it's interesting that the air supply (item 5) to the crosslink valve (item 1) was apparently Ok as this runs adjacent to the pipework to the left-hand front air suspension Confused of course, it may have been changed as well...
I still feel that heat damage is unlikely due to the position of these pipes and there may well be more to this failure than is apparent

The diagram is from LR systems training docs, diagrams like this are available on GTR - at a price Wink

Post #13397128th Feb 2007 11:24 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

TFC, is it possible that some markets have an additional sleeve around the pipes that doesn't appear on the diagram for UK cars and that the vehicle in question was a misbuild, i.e. to UK/EU spec rather than ZA spec? Not unheard of for this kind of misbuild to happen, but only relevant if the ZA spec vehicles have an additional sleeve, either from factory or at import, as some manufacturers have localised refinishing plants to up-spec for regional conditions. I know Mitsubishi have just such a facility at Southampton where RHD L200s have work carried out to meet EU spec requirements.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #13400728th Feb 2007 1:45 pm
10forcash

Possible - but unlikely, the part numbers are the same for all 4CAS variants - additionally, other markets such as AUS and Middle East have comparable temperatures and environments...

Post #13400928th Feb 2007 1:48 pm
AP Moller

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

TFC, thank you.
My concern is indeed that "there may well be more to this failure than is apparent".
I have gone to GTR to get the manual(s)/ information... "Training Suspension Systems - Air Suspension Systems" should be ok for a start?
I had also found the explanation about the heat unlikely, given the conditions in SA, Namibia, Zambia and Botswana which I had experienced in a LR Cape Town loan vehicle in 2006 (when I had returned my first as its suspension repeatedly and electronics finally collapsed). More vehicles should have failed by now, if their explantion holds any water.

Post #13405628th Feb 2007 4:27 pm
10forcash

AP Moller wrote:
... if their explantion holds any water.
or air Laughing Laughing
Yep, that's a good place to start, if yo've subscribed to the service bulletins, you'll notice there in no mention of your problem (other than on variants with FBH) and nothing in the recall section either... maybe they were telling you what they thought you wanted to hear?

Post #13408228th Feb 2007 5:47 pm
AP Moller

"Heat shields" to specification

We do not who is to "spec" now. Am I now alone on "spec"?

It could be that LRSA simply wanted to get rid of me... with more questions, the level of evasion and contradiction increased -- as I insisted on a reliable vehicle, which I (thought) I had bought. (Being the 3rd vehicle in 12 months).

I simply want a truthful explantion, which will inform me as to my further planning for trips into Africa and potential breakdowns/ risks...
Reliable explanation = reliable vehicle, which is what this is about.

Post #1341991st Mar 2007 9:11 am
10forcash

Interestingly, theres a new TSB relating to the front air suspension:-

"LTB00038 - Air Suspension Not Operating Correctly issued 05 March 2007
VIN-range: 5A000256-6A413981

The air suspension is not operating correctly, with the possibility of Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) C1A31-01 stored.

Cause: Corrosion in the chassis harness connector C2099 (installed at the front control valve) or associated wiring, located in the right-hand front wheel arch.
NOTE: Do NOT install a new complete chassis harness for this concern.

Action: Should a customer express concern, and connector C2099 or the associated wiring has corrosion, install a new overlay harness"

Post #1360095th Mar 2007 11:07 pm
disco4x4au

Australia 

TFC,

Would you know if this connector mentioned in the TSB is easily accessible for visual inspection? It might be one of the missing pieces in my front suspension raising fault.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #1363907th Mar 2007 12:33 am
AP Moller

Air Hose, not connector.

TFC and disco4x4au.
The relacement was made in respect of the front air hoses (yellow), covered in tubing which is to serve as heat shields. I was told the hoses simultaneously failed on both sides, which did seem strange. They did open up the right hand side first, on the road side fix before entering from below. The full set out hoses were replaced a few days later - I was told.
Perhaps the coupling of the two hoses centrally is the problem? Ie, the coupling on your diagram?

As this vehicle had been new, aboy 5 months old with 7500km, corrosion seems unlikely.

What is the chassis "harness"?

Post #1364667th Mar 2007 11:37 am
AP Moller

Land Rover does not know what is going on

LRSA does not know what causes the failure. After extended correspondence, we still do not how reliable the "fix" is. I had asked LRSA:
"All I want to know, (i) why do these hoses fail only in SA? and (ii) why and how did it fail on my vehicle? ... If it melted, [b]why does it not melt on all D3’s or elsewhere in the world... [/b]?"

LRSA's Dewald van Bergen wrote to me on 15 March 2007
"We will keep on investigating the matter and take whatever action may be required. We are constantly talking to the engineers on this and will continue to do so until we are satisfied with the solution."

All very unclear. LRSA does not want to discuss the matter further. I believe they have nothing to say, as they not know.
Should I give up?

If this is how Land Rover approaches problems on the design, I am very concerned.

Post #13911015th Mar 2007 6:58 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It looks like you are right, they don't know the answer, but at least they say they are continuing to search for an answer to your problem. Whats wrong with that?

Post #13913915th Mar 2007 10:18 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 
Re: Land Rover does not know what is going on

AP Moller wrote:
[b](i) why do these hoses fail only in SA? .

How many have failed in SA?
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13914115th Mar 2007 10:23 am
10forcash

disco4x4au wrote:
Would you know if this connector mentioned in the TSB is easily accessible for visual inspection? It might be one of the missing pieces in my front suspension raising fault.
It's 'easy' if you take the front bumper cover off, a pain in the @rse if you dont...  
Post #13914815th Mar 2007 10:35 am
AP Moller

LRSA is mum on how many.

LRSA will not confirm this now, but I was told, at first, about 20 failures. Thereafter they did not want to say...

Post #13916115th Mar 2007 10:52 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >