DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Air compressor - again!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Archeci

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Air compressor - again!

I'd really value some opinions here!

Back in January the suspension failed on our D3, it was sorted by a mate who fitted a new compressor and new sensor block or something (fits in with the compressor). Once that had been done everything seemed fine, although I had noticed the compressor was a lot louder than the one that had been replaced.

Everything seemed fine until a couple of days ago I started the D3 and it came up with suspension fault. I turned the ignition off and started the car all seemed fine, I tried to raise the suspension, the rear raised followed by suspension fault and loss of terrain response. Once I had stopped I again turned the car off started again and managed to get it into normal ride height, it then allowed terrain response to be used. Today it has again played up, I tried to get it to raise to off road height the compressor kicked in nice and loud then within a second or two stopped. Much messing about followed to get the car to return to normal height.

My feeling is that the compressor is at fault, I have listened to other D3's at work and the compressor on mine is a lot louder. I really would appreciate any ideas of what to try next, would anyone suspect my compressor is still the cause of the problems?

Could the issue be caused by a ride height sensor?

Cheers

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Remember laughing or smiling confuses the management. 

Last edited by Archeci on 11th Apr 2010 7:24 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #63448911th Apr 2010 3:58 pm
JENKIC01

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I'Ve recently just had a new compressor and valve block fitted and mine too is a lot louder , no faults though, If i hold the compressor housing its quieter, so i though it was rattleing in the casing. Took back to LR., who said this was the case and said they have took off the casing and replace then it stopped.???? but it hasnt, its still loud...

I also would like to know what this is Poss bushes rubbers that hold the compressor.???

Post #63451111th Apr 2010 5:31 pm
miklos

New Zealand 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I am having the same problem, compressor is not new though, but for about the last 6 months it has been extremely loud.

Wondering if this could be caused by a hole in the line or something similar causing the compressor to work harder and thus a lot louder.

Hopefully all three of us have the same issue and it is easy to sort!

Post #63468612th Apr 2010 7:33 am
miklos

New Zealand 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

maybe (hopefully) this is an issue. http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic11652.html

Post #63469112th Apr 2010 8:21 am
Archeci

Cheers but thats not the cause with mine, the noise doesnt so much bother me.

I have been out in the car this morning, upon starting the compressor kicked in for a few seconds then stopped. On arriving back home I tried to raise to off road height, the rear started to move followed immediatelt by the compressor cutting out and the message suspension fault. Manage to turn off and get the car back to normal height.

I then tried the terrain response settings all fine until rock crawl tried to raise the height, again rear starts to move then stops followed by suspension fault and special programs off. Again I managed to get the car back to normal height.

I am starting to suspect my problem is not with the compressor, well it shouldnt at its only two months since the car had a new compressor and valve block. I am going to ring an independent guy this morning and see if he can come and diagnose the fault, dont want to pay main dealer prices!

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Post #63469612th Apr 2010 8:41 am
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

my compressor was replaced at 70000km under warranty. i used it with every journey always leaving the car in access mode. i dont do that anymore, only using access mode when really necessary.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #63505712th Apr 2010 9:33 pm
quantumjohn

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Archeci,

I replaced my compressor 7 months ago and it is noticeably louder than the old one, especially the exhaust. 10forcash mentioned to me that all the ones he has fitted recently seem to be louder. I know they were on back order for a long time so it could be a new or different manufacturer of them.

If the back comes up fine on yours before the compresor cuts out then it might be a level sensor or suspension leg on the front that is at fault. I'd get the fault codes read first.

John

Post #63522513th Apr 2010 10:53 am
Archeci

Cheers John

have booked an independent guy to come and have a look on Thursday this week, really hoping he can work out whats wrong with it.

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Post #63522613th Apr 2010 10:56 am
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I recently had a new compressor so went and listened...it does seem to be a bit louder than the old. Difficult to tell really. But there is some type of rattle. Its working fine and you can't hear anything inside the car.

So I would think the noise is due to a new supplier/component etc.

And therefore it does look like your problem is being caused by something else.
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #63522813th Apr 2010 11:05 am
Archeci

Well I have had a diagnostic by an independent guy the car had two faults stored both relating to the compressor, same faults as it showed back in January. He kindly informed me that I need a new compressor, really annoyed that I had one fitted three months ago by a mate which he supplied it was supposed to be new! I now think I have been done as I cannot get hold of the 'mate' who fitted it!

My plan is to get another and fit it myself is it an easy job?

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Post #63653715th Apr 2010 8:18 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Not that hard Lee, but would help if you can get the car on a lift. Not that easy lying on the floor.
One bolt is in an ackward position and it took me some time/patience to get it of.
Here is a link to Wiggs library http://disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2042&pos=4 on how to remove the compressor.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #63662215th Apr 2010 10:02 pm
Archeci

Cheers for that reply, the instructions seem fairly simple but what does it mean by pressurising the system?

I wont have access to a lift but do have a set of sturdy ramps that I could reverse the car onto. Just need to buy a new compressor now.

Lee
 Tonga Green TDV6 S

Post #63662815th Apr 2010 10:10 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sometimes you must get some air in the system to get it going. The trick is to short the compressor relay in the engine bay. Just a couple of seconds though.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #63671416th Apr 2010 8:35 am
SteveNorman

United Kingdom 

There is also a software update that reduces the pressure the compressors have to work at, thus prolonging their life.
dated 19th Feb 2010,
LTB00270:
In the event of an air suspension compressor failure being identified, in addition to the compressor being replaced it is required that the air suspension control software is updated at the same time to ensure correct operation of the air suspension system. The control software update will not affect the air suspension system functionality.

Cause: The compressor gallery pressure is too high. Suggested Customer Concern Code C50.
This procedure requires IDS DVD119_V8.03 with calibration 21 loaded or later.

HTH
Regards
Steve

Post #63676716th Apr 2010 10:29 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >