Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Age/value/mileage???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
Age/value/mileage???

Is there in existence a table or graph format which anyone has done to plot the best potential trade in time against age/ mileage values anywhere other than the usual Glass's and CAP guides?
Although I've only just got a 2013 Disco I use it for business all around the country and therefore am doing potentially 3000 - 4000 miles a month! In light of this I am already looking when the best trade in time would be relative to value... I.e with a year old car with 45,000 miles is going to be more saleable than a two year old one with 90,000... As I took the allowance the car is mine as opposed to the company's so therefore future trade in value is my loss rather than anyone else's!
Therefore if there is a calculator out there somewhere I would be very grateful......

Another decider as to when I will be looking to change will be the new model release.... Don't want to order the week before the new model is released.... How gutted would you be if you've just ordered a RRS in the last month? Any gossip on when new Disco will be hitting the streets?
I know the car's reputation is somewhat questionable but I have to say what a car! It is without doubt the best car I've owned and its ability to do huge mileage and arrive feeling refreshed is amazing....
Any JLR designers reading this? Well done chaps and chappesses! You've made a truly stunning car! ( that will be the kiss of death now I've praised it)

Post #109485627th Apr 2013 7:49 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Is the car's reputation that questionable, I wonder? I think that's probably the view of people who lurk here, because about 80% of the posts are about problems with the remainder being about window tints or funnies.

I've had a few cars and with the exception of EGR valves and replacement of wear and tear items, I've not had a problem with them. I think the D4 seems to be, perhaps, more reliable than the D3, but that may be just because they're newer.

As for your question, the answer has to be that a younger car, surely? I can't think why an older car with higher mileage could be more saleable than a younger one with lower mileage. I change every year although at much lower mileage and the hit isn't too bad on an XS.
 PAGODA  
Post #109486827th Apr 2013 8:18 am
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

Ian,

You have PM Thumbs Up

Best,

Steve
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #109492527th Apr 2013 10:07 am
Billy B

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi Farmer Chalk,

I have been driving a D3 HSE since 2007. I must admit my mileage has been very low about 7500 a year. I have just part ex'd for a 2012 Disco 4 HSE Luxury. My 3 had held its pennies very well and I was quite pleased with its retail value at around £20k.

Regarding reliability, over a six year period I replaced, EGR's, Suspension pump and alternator, which is the norm for Discovery's across the board. Apart from those item's no problems. The EGR's I put down to my many short journeys when I first got the Disco, the air pump was working over time trying to compensate for a faulty rotary switch (the one that decides what type of road surface you are driving over) mine had jammed between two setting. Alternators are what they are.

So all in all been a very reliable vehicle, but watch that mileage!!

Billy B
 Nothing is foolproof as the ingenuity of fools is endless.

2012 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury 

Post #110801124th May 2013 9:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Re: Age/value/mileage???

Farmer Chalk wrote:
I know the car's reputation is somewhat questionable

http://newsroom.jaguarlandrover.com/en-gb/...ar_240513/ Whistle
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #110805824th May 2013 11:37 am
Farmer Chalk

Has anyone on here ever filled in a JD survey??? Blimey.... I thought that it was part of the fun owning a LR.... not knowing whether you would ever get to your destination or not?? and waiting for the engine to grenade itself.....

Each journey more fun than russian roulette..... Laughing

Post #110806924th May 2013 11:56 am
nig22

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Farmer Chalk, can you share your findings with? I am also in the position when I can shove 4000 miles a month and am intrigued what the answer is, I like to do about 20k then swap but it dose cost. Whistle

Post #110854325th May 2013 1:29 pm
Farmer Chalk

Unfortunately i don't have any findings yet... Its going to be an interesting one and i'm still in two minds as to when would be the best time to change... Of course its going to be a totally harder decision if the rumours that abound are true.. If the new Discovery is launched in late 2014 then thats going to totally mess me up..I would have probably kept it a year and then traded it in but i will be totally gutted ordering a new one only to find a brand new model is released just a couple of months later...

Although i would be hugely tempted with a new Rangey Sport as i think it is the best looking car ever to have come out of JLR...Just need more money!!

Post #110895026th May 2013 9:19 pm
nig22

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I checked out the new RRS SE the cost of the car with the extras I wanted was £3k less than the retail price of a D4 HSE Lux !!!

I also put a deposit down, but the wife found out and the deposit has been returned Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

I don't think I could get away with the RRS at work, no one gives you a second glance with the Disco Thumbs Up

Post #110906127th May 2013 6:48 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >