Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

AGAIN: Issue - recurring engine fault. Well its back....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
AGAIN: Issue - recurring engine fault. Well its back....

I have been getting "System Engine Fault" message intermittently for several months (have posted on here before about it). Fault code P2199.

Dealer replaced one of the sensors in the mass air filter thingy (fault always pointed to a sensor issue).

All was well, then it came back. Had the vehicle back at the dealer a week ago to have the sensor changed again. But have been getting the error message back straight away.

Message appears after a drive at motorway speed and then slowing down - eg from 130km/h down to around 60km/h. Slowing down to, say, 100km/h didn't result in a problem. No other warning lights. No loss of power etc. Always disappears after the ignition-off reset procedure.

Now tonight I come off the motorway and the message comes up - plus "Special Programs Off" etc...first time I've ever had that message.

This seems to be a very specific issue. But any ideas, pointers...?

(I am wondering if it is EGR related, or the start, as I think I am getting a hesitation when I want to increase speed when on the motorway and the vehicle is just below 2,000 revs...)
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Last edited by JF Lux on 6th Jan 2010 2:43 pm. Edited 3 times in total 
Post #53509815th Oct 2009 8:59 pm
JF Lux

Well, after being faced with this as a recurring probable and having one of the MAF sensors changed twice, the vehicle went in for a change of both MAF sensors plus a couple of other bits (I'm assuming they meant the components in which the sensors are fitted).

However, this morning I came off the motorway after a 25 minute run at a steady 120 km/h, slowed down to enter the airport parking...and again up comes the message of "System Engine Fault". But with no HDC issue, power loss etc.

Its going back for another diagnostic check.

But any ideas...? Possible short-circuit...? Could this be caused by the RAI...?
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"

Post #5462055th Nov 2009 1:27 pm
SJR

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Have you checked the state of your air filter after your off roading exploits? May need some of the dust knocking out of it to aid airflow!
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #5462105th Nov 2009 1:36 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

JF Lux wrote:
Could this be caused by the RAI...?

I would say that there is probably more chance of it being caused by the packet of 'travel sweets' that you probably have rattling around in your glovebox Whistle Laughing

I used to love those little oval tins of what were basically boiled sweets but cleverly marketed as the be-all-and-end-all of travel woes and stress....ahhh...the good old days Laughing
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #5462285th Nov 2009 2:29 pm
JF Lux

SJR wrote:
Have you checked the state of your air filter after your off roading exploits? May need some of the dust knocking out of it to aid airflow!

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Hmmm.....I wonder if that is the problem...i do know the airbox has got very dusty...and (ahem...) a bit sandy after an over enthusiastic bit of wading... Embarassed I suppose it could also be making the sensor dirty ?

but wouldn't the garage have cleaned this out when replacing the sensor 3 times over the last 6 months ?

And it has just had its second service - would the airfilter be changed as part of this ?

Post #5462835th Nov 2009 6:15 pm
SJR

JF Lux wrote:

but wouldn't the garage have cleaned this out when replacing the sensor 3 times over the last 6 months ?

Depends how thorough they are Confused

JF Lux wrote:

And it has just had its second service - would the airfilter be changed as part of this ?

Air filter is only changed every 45k miles/3 years according to LR schedule, although it is better to change it at every service Thumbs Up
 I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #5462875th Nov 2009 6:34 pm
JF Lux

The first thing I will now be checking at the weekend...finger's crossed

Post #5463565th Nov 2009 8:26 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

DTC P2199-00 will not, on its own bring up the 'engine system fault' message, nor will it cause reduced power, have they checked for other DTC's? are your brake lights operating correctly? is the brake pedal switch OK? the brake pedal switch can cause the 'special programmes off / engine system fault' message

Post #5463605th Nov 2009 8:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JF Lux

10forcash wrote:
DTC P2199-00 will not, on its own bring up the 'engine system fault'

Good to know

10forcash wrote:
have they checked for other DTC's?

I'm assuming yes. i was there when they did one diagnostic a few weeks ago and P2199 was the only fault. When it went back (which was after "HDC off" and reduced power happened) they said they would do a full diagnostic again - and seeing as they had to order some pieces I take this that they checked for everything.

10forcash wrote:
are your brake lights operating correctly?

yep - checked that.

10forcash wrote:
is the brake pedal switch OK? the brake pedal switch can cause the 'special programmes off / engine system fault' message

I will ask this on Monday

Cheers TFC Thumbs Up

Post #5467646th Nov 2009 11:43 am
JF Lux

Just been out - a brief 10k drive on the motorway. Coming off, Engine System Fault message plus HDC/Special Programs Off and into limp-home mode. Didn't reset as my destination was right by the motorway exit.

90 minutes later, reverse journey. Come off the motorway expecting the messages and I wasn't disappointed... Rolling Eyes

But now with the orange "engine" sign on the dash. A reset cleared the error message/low power but the orange engine light now stays on...

So the saga continues and is getting worse...my one hope is that additional fault codes are now logged to help the garage diagnose the issue once and for all...

Post #5477828th Nov 2009 1:37 pm
10forcash

Did the suspension lower?
The MIL light points towards EGR or turbo issues but these will normally be indicated upon startup, not well into the journey (the EGR's & Turbo carry out an end-to-end calibration check at engine power down) it's possible it's a faulty fuel temp sensor - BTW, manual or auto? if manual, does the gear indicator change straight away or is there a few seconds lag in the selected gear showing on the dash?

Post #5478008th Nov 2009 3:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JF Lux

TFC - its an auto.

And just for clarification (just in case) by 10k I meant 10 km (about 6 miles)

No suspension lowering.

I've restarted the car and the engine sign on the dash is not extinguishing when started.

Vehicle is a 2008.5 model delivered Feb 2008 with 44,000 km (30,000 miles) on the clock.

Re: gear change - I have been wondering if there has been a hesitation on a few occasions when changing up. I put this down to the adaptive box and being very gentle on the throttle.

Post #5478098th Nov 2009 3:21 pm
SJR

Out of interest how dirty/clogged up was the air filter when you checked it? Thumbs Up
Buzz Aldrin (1930 - 

Post #5478108th Nov 2009 3:23 pm
JF Lux

SJR wrote:
Out of interest how dirty/clogged up was the air filter when you checked it? Thumbs Up

Not very...which means the RAI has been doing its job in dusty Spain and recently at the even dustier LR event in Bridel Quarry... Thumbs Up

(were quite a few dead flies, wasps and other thingys with wings stuck to it through... Laughing )

Post #5478128th Nov 2009 3:27 pm
10forcash

May be worth a visual inspection of the intercooler to inlet manifold hose, BAS has kindly posted a picture of delamination here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post547801.html#547801

Post #5478138th Nov 2009 3:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >