Aftermarket Head Unit. Harmon Hardon Hi Ice Syste
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jimjamm

United States 2008 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Aftermarket Head Unit. Harmon Hardon Hi Ice Syste

hi everyone.

i want to put in a new head unit in my V8 HSE Discovery 3

is there any way to put in a new head unit and keep the amp (an adaptor or something)

i know the amp uses optical cable

has anyone put in a new headunit in their D3 and kept the amp?

or has anyone put a new head unit in their D3 and re wired the car using an aftermarket amp?

thanks!!!

i posted this in another area, just wondering if its possible to put an aftermarket headunit in my D3

cheers

Post #91161419th Mar 2012 11:31 am
irimi

Turkey 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I tried to install an aftermarket head unit yesterday and found out that the amp can not be kept due to those optical signal cables. So I decided to change the amp as well. My car has the Logic 7 system and I'll be loosing the rear surround speakers in the trunk but I can live with that. I also am thinking of upgrading the speakers as well. Rewiring will be necessary. I can share the process here if you are interested.
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, 2.5" Johnson Rods lift kit, 265/70R17 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires, Heavy Duty front axles, 12.000 lbs discrete mounted winch, Mantec Sump guard, LR Raised Air intake, Albrecht 6890 CB Radio, Superchips ECU remapped, Sprint Booster Throttle Response, K&N air filter, Waeco fridge, 42" & 23" LED bars, Britpart rock sliders....  
Post #9175795th Apr 2012 6:32 am
irimi

Today was the second attempt to install a double DIN head unit. No success Smile
This time the problem was Logic 7 system has no crossovers near the speakers. The amp acts as an active crossover. Each speaker has it's own wire from the amp. So therefore installing a passive crossover is out of the question.

Next week I will try for the third time but this time I'm changing the speakers with the 3 way components and hopefully there won't be any problems.
 2005 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, 2.5" Johnson Rods lift kit, 265/70R17 Mickey Thompson MTZ tires, Heavy Duty front axles, 12.000 lbs discrete mounted winch, Mantec Sump guard, LR Raised Air intake, Albrecht 6890 CB Radio, Superchips ECU remapped, Sprint Booster Throttle Response, K&N air filter, Waeco fridge, 42" & 23" LED bars, Britpart rock sliders....  
Post #93189015th May 2012 7:14 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
cant be removed

Hi Guys
As far as I know the exsisting head unit needs to be kept in the system as its not just a headunit it acts as the main unit to talk to all the ECUs especially on the high end system.
The above has been attempted by someone and they ended up with no ends of problems regarding programing or updating the vehicle.
Someone else will be along in a minute to say exactly what it does as I cant remember what it was
cheers

Post #93193715th May 2012 8:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
irimi

Thanks for the heads up! I will not proceed further unless I discuss this with a certified LR diagnostic expert or someone better. Today I was told that the head unit was acting as a hub for the CAN BUS therefore it couldn't be taken out. But what if the unit failed? the whole thing crashes? There must be a way for this. At least I hope Smile
Post #93195715th May 2012 8:39 pm
valoblk

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

In all honesty, if the head unit is still working, there really is no point in replacing it since it ties into so much else in the vehicle. I recommending using an OEM intergration processor from the amplifier outputs (such as the Alpine PXE-H650 that I used or the JBL MS8), and then adding amplifiers and speakers.

Post #93224316th May 2012 6:15 pm
irimi

valoblk wrote:
In all honesty, if the head unit is still working, there really is no point in replacing it since it ties into so much else in the vehicle. I recommending using an OEM intergration processor from the amplifier outputs (such as the Alpine PXE-H650 that I used or the JBL MS8), and then adding amplifiers and speakers.

Thanks for the idea. It really sound the way to go. But better sound wasn't my intention in the first place. It all started with the bluetooth problem. I have to enter the pin every time I turn the ignition. They asked about 600 USD to fix it. By adding a double din I will have a dvd player, full control of mp3 player (iPod), working bluetooth, much better sound and my little daughter can watch cartoon on long journeys. But I will consider adding a sound processor.
Post #93231516th May 2012 8:28 pm
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I can sort your Bluetooth issues out for £60 plus postage .

Send you an updated module ( with latest software one ) .. You swap and send your old one back . Thumbs Up

Cures pairing and gives you your contacts on the radio display

I also sell new Bluetooth modules from the latest generation Land Rovers at a fraction of what you have been quoted
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #93232116th May 2012 8:39 pm
irimi

valoblk wrote:
...I recommending using an OEM intergration processor from the amplifier output

I just checked the connections of the Alpine and one major problem remains. In Logic 7 system the amp sends a separate wire to each speaker. On the Alpine there are speaker level inputs and there are 5 channels. You need 13 channels for my system. The crossover is in the amplifier not near the speakers. You would need 3 of those Alpines. How did you connect yours?
Post #93232416th May 2012 8:41 pm
mariusjnr

South Africa 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 4

saw a headunit the other day specially made for the Disco 3 and the freelander will have a look and see if I can find the url.
 2012 Discovery 4 SDV6 SE 50mm Suspension Lift, Front Runner RR, Drawers, Tuffstuff Underbody Armour.
2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE 50mm Suspension lift, 33" BFG MT, Rocksliders, Bashplate. 250 000km Sold
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S, Snorkel, TorqueTune Remap, Club 250 000km, Sold
2002 Discovery 2 TD5, Roof rack, Club 250 000km, Drowned Sad 

Post #93269317th May 2012 6:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Froand

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Did you mean this one?
http://www.cardct.com/car-dvd-gps/land-rov...ouchscreen

Available from here as well: www.alibaba.com

Post #93271117th May 2012 7:49 pm
MikeS2005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
cannot change HK head unit

Hi
You seem to be missing the point, you cannot change the Highline system headunit as it works as part of the fibre optic system in the vehicle and communicates with various component ECUs in the car if you remove it some things may not work or communicate with other components in the car.
If your vehicle software goes wrong you will not be able to reprogramme certain aspects of the vehicles software without the OE Highline system being in place.
Now if you had a simpler bottom of the range headunit you can take this out with no problems whatsoever
The head unit that you have linked to DOES NOT have the communication protocals embeded and does not work with the fibre optic system in your vehicle.
People with years of car audio systems have tried to remove this head unit before and only have been able to relocate it to the boot area as they have had to keep it in the vehicle so as everything works.
To my knowledge and I have been in the vehicle accessory market for 20 years I have never heard of anyone being able to get round the Highline system only the lower spec units.

If I am wrong on this which I dont think I am will someone please enlighten me as well as I am under the impression it is impossible to remove this system from the landrover range of vehicles

I hope this helps
cheers

Post #93305018th May 2012 2:44 pm
Curly

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Hi just been searching on here to get something with bluetooth connection, would this product fit and work with out any problems I dont have logic7. thanks http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Disco...3641.l6368

Post #174003326th Nov 2016 7:42 pm
bimblephish

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

If Bluetooth is the problem you are trying to solve then take Wiggs up on his offer, I did mine through him a couple of months back, great service, a doddle to fit and works with no problems at all. It seems that many have tried to change out the head unit and caused themselves a whole world of pain

Post #174004326th Nov 2016 8:10 pm
Curly

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Thing is I don't have Bluetooth in my disco. It's the 6 cd head unit I have so wanted to try and update it with a new head unit or the device I copied in the last post.. any ideas would be great.
Thanks

Post #174018227th Nov 2016 8:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >