Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Advice on Poly Bushes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
ianfoulsham

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Tech Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Advice on Poly Bushes

I don't post often but I do find the forum very useful. I am looking for some advice on poly bushes.

Can I put just put poly bushes on the lower control arms or do I need to do top ones as well?
The short story is I have the steering wobble again and at last MOT in March they gave me an advisory for the front lower bushes (Annoyingly I only changed these 2 years ago). In last 2 years, I have changed front lower arms and then top front arms, track rods, discs, pads, both front bearings, and the lower steering column. Up until March, I thought I had sorted it but now the wobble of the steering wheel is back. Mainly under braking between 50 and 70mph. My current thoughts are to just replace the bottom arms again but this time do it with poly bushes. Last time I changed the arms it did sort the issue out. If I get time one night this week I am going to check the discs aren’t warped with a dial indicator, and see if I can look at callipers as well.

Thanks in advance.

Post #194565616th May 2018 11:41 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Have you changed the tyres in that time? It's not unusual for a tyre to go out of shape, and can give you all those symptoms of a wobble.
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #194566216th May 2018 12:06 pm
ianfoulsham

Yes sorry forgot that, changed tyres in the summer and had them balanced and four-wheel alignment. I used to have AT's and changed them to road tyres.

Post #194566416th May 2018 12:11 pm
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Ok, and have you had the same wobble with the AT's and the road tyres?
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #194566716th May 2018 12:27 pm
ianfoulsham

The first time I got the wobble was 2 years ago with AT's and changing the lower arms cured it. I changed the tyres in the summer to road tyre but the current wobble only started again in March after the MOT. Whether it was there before and the advisory on the MOT heightened my senses to it or not I do not know.

Post #194566816th May 2018 12:30 pm
Browny90

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I cant see an issue with just changing just the bottom arm bushes with poly bushes.

A bush is a bush, I would advise keeping the vehicle symmetrical and using decent, hard polybushes (Blue/ Purple?).

I use them all over my defender and changed them all at different times, did the panard rod first, then radius arms etc etc, so as long as there is no play, then I cant see there being an issue.
 Disco4 MY16 SDV6 Landmark Black
Disco4 MY12 SDV6 XS Orkney Grey (Gone)
Defender 90 200tdi Completely rebuilt. 

Post #194566916th May 2018 12:43 pm
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Are you using the term “Poly Bush” in it’s generic term, meaning Polyurethane bushes, or are you referring to the Company “Poly Bush”? I installed Polyurethane bushes from Poly Bush, and what a nightmare. They were so stiff the car struggled to raise and lower. I changed them to “Super Pro” Polyurethane bushes, and what a difference. In my opinion the Super Pro bushes are superior in design, and are so much better. Never looked back. But if you want to keep the smooth/silk like ride, you loose a bit of this as you do get a little more road feedback into the car. This doesn’t bug me, as I’m running MT tyres, and want the longevity of the bushes for overlanding.

In my opinion, as you have the lower arms out you’ll need a wheel alignment. So for not much more I would do the top ones as well, so will be fit and forget.

Post #194567116th May 2018 12:49 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Having had to replace the LCAs too often, I fitted D3 I'm selling with Superpro bushes on the Front LCAs only and haven't had any issues since fitting them.

Presumably you changed the inner and outer track arms?
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #194567216th May 2018 12:50 pm
ianfoulsham

John P wrote:
Are you using the term “Poly Bush” in it’s generic term, meaning Polyurethane bushes, or are you referring to the Company “Poly Bush”? I installed Polyurethane bushes from Poly Bush, and what a nightmare. They were so stiff the car struggled to raise and lower. I changed them to “Super Pro” Polyurethane bushes, and what a difference. In my opinion the Super Pro bushes are superior in design, and are so much better. Never looked back. But if you want to keep the smooth/silk like ride, you loose a bit of this as you do get a little more road feedback into the car. This doesn’t bug me, as I’m running MT tyres, and want the longevity of the bushes for overlanding.

In my opinion, as you have the lower arms out you’ll need a wheel alignment. So for not much more I would do the top ones as well, so will be fit and forget.

Yes I was looking at Super Pro not Poly Bush as Ive tried Poly Bush on older Disco's and prefered the super pro ones. I really wanted them to last ages as I don't want to keep changing the bushes every 2 or 3 years.

I have changed both track rods in their entirety on both sides so they should be fine.

Post #194567716th May 2018 1:06 pm
SWR

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I was hoping to replace my fears but can’t seem to find them, I have front lca and front arb superpro, but can’t seem to source the rears anymore.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Simon
 D3 HSE TDV6 Auto. Bonatti Grey.

Mods:
V8 Brake upgrade (front Only), Full height Luggage guard, Rubber mats all round, RLD spare wheel protector, Terra Firma Steering and Transmission guard, Smoooooth Nappa steering wheel, Clock on dash and Reverse home lights. National Luna split charge system, front and rear light guards, Danhag GSM (on loan), JE stage 1 remap... Zero money

Post #194576816th May 2018 8:23 pm
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I got mine from AF, but looking on their website seems they only do the full kit now, which is disappointing. Sad

Post #194579516th May 2018 9:00 pm
timv8

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I fitted a make of "poly bush" (can't remember which exact make) several years ago to the lower front only. The manufacturer advised that this was ok. But I agree with John P's comment about increased road noise. I also found my vehicle seemed to wander on the inside lane of motorways. I ended up replacing them with genuine bushes.
I think I recall that the front lower bushes were changed/upgraded a while ago as the earlier version did wear quite quickly.
 Tim  
Post #194641919th May 2018 7:32 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Fitted a full set of Superpro bushes to my stepdads D3. Firmed things up a little, but to be expected at 120k miles

After 1000 miles or so, they have settled in and are on par with genuine stuff IMO

Also got a full set to go on the wife's Sport, and my own D3 too Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #194642419th May 2018 7:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Have you changed the brake discs?- they cured my wobbles Laughing
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #194649219th May 2018 11:50 am
KostasA

Greece 

Disco_Mikey wrote:
Fitted a full set of Superpro bushes to my stepdads D3. Firmed things up a little, but to be expected at 120k miles

After 1000 miles or so, they have settled in and are on par with genuine stuff IMO

Also got a full set to go on the wife's Sport, and my own D3 too Thumbs Up

Mike do you mind sharing the supplier. wanna do mine and cant find a whole set.

Post #194652319th May 2018 3:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >